This will probably hurt you more than this has already hurt me.

John B Crist is a comedian who does funny sketches about the Christian lifestyle. I don’t expect Christians to perfectly abide by the Bible, just like I don’t expect Buddhists or Muslims to abide by their principles. This sketch in particular showed John Crist as a broken man, because what happens in the sketch came to fruition. I won’t belabor you with the details, but you can see the causality between temptation and betraying your principles.

A lot of anti-religious people point out the hypocrisy of Christians to bash Christianity as a religion. I think that’s a fallacy of arguing toward a preconceived conclusion, and that’s not objective or helpful to anyone. (I’ve seen videos of evangelical atheists, and those make me cringe)

Anyway, I hope that’s enough of a disclaimer. It would hurt me if my friend were doing drugs, but that wouldn’t make me disavow my friend. So I was really glad to hear that John Crist went through some kind of treatment for his problem, indirectly shown in this sketch.

• Like 1

Thank God Christians aren't called to be followers of Christians, but rather of Jesus.  I recently resigned as a deacon at my church over a similar circumstance.  Yep, just like one shouldn't expect only healthy folks at a hospital, the church is for us sinners.  That said, we can't condone sin.  This guy's caught.  What he does in the future is what's important.

This brings up something I've been thinking of a lot in recent years as high profile celebrities have seen their careers crash and burn in the wake of personal misconduct–how does someone recover from such a high profile digital lynching?

I think there's only one real way–genuine contrition and repentance. Kevin Spacey isn't contrite and is hoping this will all just go away. (The internet never forgets.) 

This is where Biblical concepts are vital. The Bible has rather a lot to say about genuine repentance and forgiveness. (That's not to say one's career will resume where one left it. Chuck Colson was sent to prison during the Watergate scandal and his life as a high profile powerbroker was effectively over. However, he read MERE CHRISTIANITY in prison and found forgiveness and peace and joy in Jesus Christ as a result. When he got out, his life was transformed and he found a new career helping people. His obit in the Washington Post identifies his changed life.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/whitehouse/chuck-colson-nixons-dirty-tricks-man-dies-at-80/2012/04/21/gIQAaoOHYT_story.html

Back to John Crist. He is saying the right things. We'll see what happens. In a culture which doesn't have a robust system for returning people to cultural acceptance, the church has a mechanism developed over thousands of years which directly addresses this very real human and societal need. Posers who pretend to change are found out and buried. People who are genuinely contrite and experience observable life-change shine as one last great hope. I would love to see high flying celebrity figures repent and believe. I have a short list of such names. I bet you do, as well. We should pray for people when 'the internet falls on their heads.' We are all sinners in need of a savior. The difference between faux repentance and genuine repentance is a changed life, and what is church if not about lifechange?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Johne said:

crash and burn in the wake of personal misconduct–how does someone recover from such a high profile digital lynching?

Seems going from secular celebrity to Christian is lots easier than backsliding.  Alice Cooper, John Schlitt, Scott Stapp, Lou Gramm are all examples of rockers who announced Christianity.  Stapp had a backsliding moment with a bar fight. 

Thankfully, God uses lots of broken pots!

• Like 1