The WERIDEST POSSIBLE EXPRESSION I've Heard...Yet

I frequently use the phrase, "Meanwhile, back at the ranch," when changing the drift of what I'm doing. When I was much younger and going to the Saturday afternoon movies, Roy Rogers would be out in the wherever, and Dale Evans (his wife) would be back at the ranch. So the narrator, when shifting from Roy to Dale, would say, "Meanwhile, back at the ranch."

• Like 2

I think the weirdest I've heard was, "you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a ___" (referring to a lot of places in a certain area, i.e. Starbucks in Seattle)

For starters, I didn't hear it until 3 years ago, so it's not one I grew up hearing, therefore it's easier to find it more odd, but also...

Why are we swinging a dead cat? Why are we swinging a cat in the first place?

Also, regarding making up your own, a friend once got banteringly "upset" at someone and said, "why don't you go fast for a year?" and I thought that was creative.

4 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

I frequently use the phrase, "Meanwhile, back at the ranch,"

I absolutely love that!

10 hours ago, JosiAtara said:

I think the weirdest I've heard was, "you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a ___" (referring to a lot of places in a certain area, i.e. Starbucks in Seattle)

For starters, I didn't hear it until 3 years ago, so it's not one I grew up hearing, therefore it's easier to find it more odd, but also...

Why are we swinging a dead cat? Why are we swinging a cat in the first place?

Also, regarding making up your own, a friend once got banteringly "upset" at someone and said, "why don't you go fast for a year?" and I thought that was creative.

I absolutely love that!

Cats seem to get into a lot of metaphors: more than one way to skin a cat, like herding cats, raining cats and dogs (which...how? and why? why those particular animals? Wouldn't frogs and fishes be a better metaphor, b/c they used to think that it actually did rain frogs and fish?)

3 hours ago, Leah_Donavan said:

Cats seem to get into a lot of metaphors: more than one way to skin a cat, like herding cats, raining cats and dogs (which...how? and why? why those particular animals? Wouldn't frogs and fishes be a better metaphor, b/c they used to think that it actually did rain frogs and fish?)

Cats: Dominating metaphors before they dominated the internet.

• Haha 1
On 5/4/2021 at 12:26 PM, Leah_Donavan said:

Cats seem to get into a lot of metaphors: more than one way to skin a cat, like herding cats, raining cats and dogs (which...how? and why?

Most, if not all, of the sayings came from the 1600-1800s. They didn't much of anything else to use. Whoever started the sayings probably had a cat/s! 😄

2 hours ago, Leah_Donavan said:

It's from a movie. Wanna guess?

Penguin Land! 😄 That's probably not from where it was from, but my babysitting charge is chilling with it right now. Haha.

30 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Penguin Land! 😄 That's probably not from where it was from, but my babysitting charge is chilling with it right now. Haha.

LOL! I hope babysitting goes better today! It's from "It's a Wonderful Life".

7 minutes ago, Leah_Donavan said:

LOL! I hope babysitting goes better today! It's from "It's a Wonderful Life".

It did. No tantrums. 😄 I think that was due to the fact that a.) my prayers were answered and b.) there were kids for him to play with at the park this time.

I've heard of that movie, but I've never seen it. 😜

8 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

It did. No tantrums. 😄 I think that was due to the fact that a.) my prayers were answered and b.) there were kids for him to play with at the park this time.

I've heard of that movie, but I've never seen it. 😜

Yay and praise God!!!

WHAT?! You must see that movie. It is amazing. (and now you can watch for that phrase)

14 minutes ago, Leah_Donavan said:

WHAT?! You must see that movie. It is amazing. (and now you can watch for that phrase)

Ohhh, I've seen that movie! Just looked it up. I was a kid though when I saw it. Haha.

Posted (edited)

I just finished reading a book that had an old saying that was misstated. It said something like,  "If she thought this was going to work, she had another thing coming." WHAT??? It should have been "If she thought this was going to work, she had another think coming." I wanted to take the author aside and say, "Honey, the correct word is "think," not "thing." "

Edited by Tommie Lyn
45 minutes ago, Tommie Lyn said:

"If she thought this was going to work, she had another thing coming." WHAT??? It should have been "If she thought this was going to work, she had another thing coming."

They're the same quotations...I didn't see any words changed...

32 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

They're the same quotations...I didn't see any words changed...

Erp! "If she thought this was going to work, she had another think coming." Thanks for catching that typo.

• Like 2