1 minute ago, Wesley Southern said:

anyway, the way I see it is, you inherited your religion from your parents and you’ve been immersed in Christianity your whole life.

You didn’t really have to study other religions and weigh the veracity of each one.

It seems natural to me you would be a Christian. You went on one path your whole life without seeing what other paths are available. (This is just my observation)

I mean, not every child that's raised in a Christian family is genuinely saved.

I've studied different religions in history as well as had friends who were in different religions (Jehovah's Witness cult, Roman Catholicism, etc.); and if you were to compare some of what they believe with the Bible, their beliefs are way off/distorted.

• Like 2
  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It occurs to me the answer for your question is very simple. We can tell you our experiences, but we can't experience it for you. If you're genuinely curious about God, ask Him those questions. Ask Hi

There's a big difference between knowing about Jesus and knowing Jesus. Many years ago, before I was saved, I didn't understand that. I thought that as long as I believed in Jesus, I would go to heave

Film noir and black and films are not the same thing. Film noir is a style of film-making, usually with dark (noir=black) overtones, highlighted by cynicalism, pessimism, and tough characters. Usually

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

. I’ve known friends who were baptized when they were teenagers, but in college, they did a total 180 and are now the worldliest people I know.

This happens a great deal. For many, peer pressure can be the hardest thing to resist and they succumb to the world's thinking. However, if you were to meet some of them later on in life, they will have made that 180 again and come back to following the Lord with all their heart. Not all, but some, or even many will. Because God never stops calling those who have drifted away to come back to Him. His pure Love always desires His children to be back in the fold.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

I've studied different religions in history as well as had friends who were in different religions (Jehovah's Witness cult, Roman Catholicism, etc.); and if you were to compare some of what they believe with the Bible, their beliefs are way off/distorted.

Well you’d know better than me, but didn’t you evaluate each of their religions through the context of the Bible being true, so theirs must be false?

How did you come to the conclusion that the Bible is true?

26 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

Most people do when they try to prove that it's not. Some of the most devoted Christians once tried to disprove it but actually proved it in the process. 

• Like 2

I remember back in the 70s. (Showing my age here.)  There was a major religious revival among American Youth.  They were called "The Jesus Freaks".   Many of the high school kids who attended the same church I did, also became enthusiastic followers of Jesus.

A youth seminar class was held every Sunday, after worship.  I attended the meetings myself, where I felt very welcomed by these younger members of the congregation.

A Jewish girl began attending the meetings.  She seemed to be getting a lot out of the fellowship, and enjoyed being with us.

After a few weeks she told the other kids that here parents said that they didn't want her attending anymore of our meetings.  The rest of us were very uncomfortable about this.

All the kids could tell her was, "The Bible says 'You shall honor your father and your mother.'  That's a Commandment."  

After that I didn't see her at the Church again.

I have no idea what she did.  If she told her parents about what she'd been told about honoring them, they hopefully might have realized that we Christians do have something worth respecting.

33 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

The Bible is not a history book, yet everything it says about historical matters has proven to be true. It is not a science book, yet whatever it has addressed has proven to be true. It was written by about 40 people over a period of 1,500 years in different locations, yet it is seamless and has one central theme (in comparison, just try to get 3 people who are eyewitnesses of an event to agree on what they saw, LOL). By the way, that central theme is Jesus. The Bible theme is: Someone is coming.... Someone is here.... Someone is coming again. And it tells us how to be ready for the "coming again."

An atheist, who was a science teacher, decided to read the Bible and prove it was false. He became a believer during that process. He gives proof after proof of the Bible's veracity. As he says, God doesn't ask that you put your brain in a box on the shelf to become a Christian.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wesley Southern said:

Well you’d know better than me, but didn’t you evaluate each of their religions through the context of the Bible being true, so theirs must be false?

To be very honest, I actually haven't evaluated each of the religions. I could maybe pinpoint a few small things, such as the Jehovah's [False] Witnesses declaring that there is no Trinity when it's mentioned in the Bible (I John 5:7--Father, Word (Jesus; John 1:1, and Holy Ghost). However, the rest of those religions believe that either baptism or good works/merit gets one to Heaven. That's when I draw the line because it contradicts what the Bible says is the way to salvation.

It's what I put my faith in. It's the same as comparing evolution with Creation. Evolutionists put their faith in evolution--the world came about through a big explosion (big bang theory). Creationists put their faith in the Word of God--He created the world in six literal days.

Then there's also II Timothy 3:16-17--

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

That also brought my attention to verse 15 (going back to your statement of my becoming a Christian because of my parents' expectations)--And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. Besides that verse, there's Proverbs 22:6--Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Tommie Lyn said:

It is quite possible for one who has been saved to later turn away from the Lord and be lost...

I'm not trying to start Debate 2.0 😄, but a saved person can't lose his salvation. It's called eternal life for a reason.

John 10:28-29

"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand."

Romans 8:38-39

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

John 6:39

"And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day."

Hebrews 7:25

"Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them."

Hebrews 12:2

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

To be very honest, I actually haven't evaluated each of the religions. I could maybe pinpoint a few small things, such as the Jehovah's [False] Witnesses declaring that there is no Trinity when it's mentioned in the Bible (I John 5:7--Father, Word (Jesus; John 1:1, and Holy Ghost). However, the rest of those religions believe that either baptism or good works/merit gets one to Heaven. That's when I draw the line because it contradicts what the Bible says is the way to salvation.

It's what I put my faith in. It's the same as comparing evolution with Creation. Evolutionists put their faith in evolution--the world came about through a big explosion (big bang theory). Creationists put their faith in the Word of God--He created the world in six literal days.

Then there's also II Timothy 3:16-17--

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

That also brought my attention to verse 15 (going back to your statement of my becoming a Christian because of my parents' expectations)--And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. Besides that verse, there's Proverbs 22:6--Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

I think you might be falling into confirmation bias. You cite the Bible to justify what you believe about the world. You believe in the Bible because you believe it’s divinely inspired.

I think God might very well exist, but which religion has the correct God? Which religion has the best evidentiary basis for the supernatural things in the text?

Did Moses really split the Red Sea in two? Did the angel Gabriel tell the Prophet Muhammed to write down the Koran?

To me, the easiest way to convince me the Bible is true is to show me, hey here is the archaeological evidence Jesus of Nazareth lived, and here are the eyewitness testimonies, etc.

11 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

here are the eyewitness testimonies, etc.

You made me think of 1 Corinthians 15:1-8. Part of it talks about people who saw Jesus after His resurrection.

"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time."

14 minutes ago, HK1 said:

I'm not trying to start Debate 2.0 😄, but a saved person can't lose his salvation. It's called eternal life for a reason.

Yes, it is eternal life. However, we can choose to reject it, to throw it away. The scriptures tell us that. It is the one who remains faithful to the end, faithful until death, who will receive it. Jesus said that the Christians in the church at Ephesus had left their first love, and that if they did not repent and do as they did at first, He would remove their lampstand....

"But I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Therefore, remember from where you have fallen, and repent, and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and I will remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent." -- Revelation 2:4-5

"Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life." -- Revelation 2:10b 

"For we have become partakers of Christ if we keep the beginning of our commitment firm until the end" -- Hebrews 3:14

And Paul wrote:

"but I strictly discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified." -- 1 Corinthians 9:27

So, it is possible to be disqualified... according to what the scriptures say. It depends on remaining faithful.

3 minutes ago, HK1 said:

You made me think of 1 Corinthians 15:1-8. Part of it talks about people who saw Jesus after His resurrection.

"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time."

Honestly, these verses you keep citing are going over my head. I’m sure you’ve been reading them your whole life, but I just look at them and go okay.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

but I just look at them and go okay.

Yeah, the Bible can be confusing sometimes. Believe me, I don't understand it all. But John is a pretty straightforward book. If you're interested in learning about Christianity, you should start there. There are plenty of online Bibles. I've linked a really popular one. https://www.biblegateway.com/

8 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

but I just look at them and go okay.

It all depends on you. Are you seeking truth? Do you have any interest in learning the truth? Or are you merely enjoying getting Christians to respond to you and the questions you pose?

28 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

I think you might be falling into confirmation bias. You cite the Bible to justify what you believe about the world. You believe in the Bible because you believe it’s divinely inspired.

I think God might very well exist, but which religion has the correct God? Which religion has the best evidentiary basis for the supernatural things in the text?

Did Moses really split the Red Sea in two? Did the angel Gabriel tell the Prophet Muhammed to write down the Koran?

To me, the easiest way to convince me the Bible is true is to show me, hey here is the archaeological evidence Jesus of Nazareth lived, and here are the eyewitness testimonies, etc.

You have a good point. I'd be thinking the same way with another religion. Your mentioning of the Red Sea reminds me of an article a former Sunday school teacher of mine brought up about some things that were found in it, such as helmets and whatever else she mentioned. I can do some digging for you and get articles on that if you'd like later on Lord willing.

Just now, Tommie Lyn said:

It all depends on you. Are you seeking truth? Do you have any interest in learning the truth? Or are you merely enjoying getting Christians to respond to you and the questions you pose?

That’s a pretty cynical thing to ask someone 😑

1 minute ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

You have a good point. I'd be thinking the same way with another religion. Your mentioning of the Red Sea reminds me of an article a former Sunday school teacher of mine brought up about some things that were found in it, such as helmets and whatever else she mentioned. I can do some digging for you and get articles on that if you'd like later on Lord willing.

Oh, that’s okay. Every religion has its own miracles. There’s too many to count. Having self-awareness and questioning why you believe what you believe is not only practical with religion, but many other disciplines as well!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

Honestly, these verses you keep citing are going over my head. I’m sure you’ve been reading them your whole life, but I just look at them and go okay.

Nod. There's a really practical reason for this.

14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

If we are as scripture suggests changed creatures with the ability to worship God and receive His love and His salvation, it is not strange to suggest that unbelievers understand God on their own.

But there's good news - there is one way to cut through this veil, the person of Jesus.

Jesus himself recognized that normal people couldn't see the things of God, and used that as the justification for telling his parables.
"Therefore I speak to them in parables; because while seeing they do not see, and while hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand."

The key to salvation is bound up in the person of Jesus. If he is who he says he is, you'll want to know him. If he's not, Christianity is false. I'd start by reading the parables of Jesus and see what they tell you about who He says He is and what those ramifications are for your life.
https://www.jesusfilm.org/blog-and-stories/parables-of-jesus.html

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Johne said:

The key to salvation is bound up in the person of Jesus. If he is who he says he is, you'll want to know him. If he's not, Christianity is false. I'd start by reading the parables of Jesus and see what they tell you about who He says He is and what those ramifications are for your life.
https://www.jesusfilm.org/blog-and-stories/parables-of-jesus.html

Thanks! This is a very good resource...

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Wesley Southern said:

No, I read the book of John.

Then you've been introduced to Jesus, and that's wonderful. You've read what He said about Himself, that He was the Way, the Truth, and the Life...and that no one can come to the Father except by Him.