OK - I know this is something I have said previously I would prefer not to do but.... having read the comments on 'Taking A Break'  I am feeling a subtle nudge that this might be the way forward for my devotional book. I still stand by waiting a year and continuing to sub to agents/publishers for my novels. So, I if go down this route who & where do I go?  

I would like to use both digital and print and have a bespoken cover/jacket. The work is only 13K so quite short. Do I need an ISBN these days? I know some of you have done this so HELP please. When I SP my YA novel it was years ago and things have moved on.

Thanks

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Shamrock said:

Do I need an ISBN these days?

I've only published ebooks so far through Draft2Digital, but they supplied an ISBN for free.

And I'm glad to hear you're considering self-publishing!!

I always recommend Joanna Penn's The Creative Penn blog and podcast for anyone considering independent publishing. This article deals with publishing print books and covers some of your questions, but she has a lot of other resources. It's slightly outdated in that Create Space is now KDP Print, but the other information is still correct.

If you don't mind going with the dreaded Amazon, publishing with KDP is relatively easy. If your cover and inside is in the correct format, then I can set up and publish a 6" x 9" book in about 5 minutes.

Because I'm a control freak, I still create my epub books in HTML using Calibre which upload to KDP fast.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Shamrock said:

I would like to use both digital and print and have a bespoken cover/jacket. The work is only 13K so quite short. Do I need an ISBN these days? I know some of you have done this so HELP please. When I SP my YA novel it was years ago and things have moved on.

With KDP, you don't need an ISBN.  If you use Scrivener, there is a nice feature that let's you compile your work as an .epub file.  It took me about 30 minutes to get the settings straight.

When I first started self-publishing, I set up a Lightning Source account because when I published a book there it immediately was listed with Ingram, the biggest distributer in the world. I am moving away from them fast as their prices have doubled this year and they are in some sort of peeing contest with Amazon; in the past all my Ingram entries showed up on Amazon - not so much anymore. 

Draft2Digital is what I use too. Their file conversions are high-quality mobi, ePub and PDF.

They distribute to Amazon, Kobo, B&N, and several smaller book retailers and online libraries, including Hoopla. I’m very pleased with their services.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

A devotional would be fine for Westminster John Knox Press. They don't do fiction, but they would certainly look at a devotional.

Thank you @carolinamtne  I have got their guide notes and will try them first.  

Thanks @Tom Laurie & @Zee  for your advice.

Although I began writing with a traditional publisher, I moved to self publishing probably for a reason similar to yours.

After I had submitted the proposal and a few chapters of a Bible study series for women, I was told:

1. Agents generally will not represent a work under 35,000 words. Bible studies and devotionals are not that long.

2. Publishers who do Bible studies (and probably devotionals) prefer to develop projects in house and then find someone to write the books. Generally those people have a degree or two from  a Christian-based college.

So I self published I am Esther. Since then, I've self published 7 books in that women's series, plus 5 books in a series for writers, plus 5 books for kids and another miscellaneous four more. No, I don't get a big distribution network, but I felt called to write those books. If I couldn't sell them to a publisher, at least I was obedient in the writing and promoting them when I can.

Don't be afraid of self-publishing. There is a giant learning curve, but it's fairly straight forward once you've done it. Just don't expect massive buyers or marketing help. So figure out what you want and how you want to do it. Then go for it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2021 at 12:20 PM, Shamrock said:

Do I need an ISBN these days?

Most of these e-book and POD distributors will supply the ISBN for you.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2021 at 12:20 PM, Shamrock said:

So, I if go down this route who & where do I go?  

Draft2Digital (like others have mentioned.

KDP - though this is Amazon exclusive.

Ingram Spark will do both POD and e-Book to Barnes and Noble, Amazon, and another e-book vendor (can't recall the name at the moment).

I'm in with a lot of comic creators, and they all self-publish.  A few I know use Ingram Spark.

And I'm glad that you've reconsidered your options.

Yes, most self-publishing sources will provide an ISBN. The publisher that is listed is then that publisher--Create Space, for Amazon for example.

You can purchase your own ISBN through Bowker. They of course cost something, but then you can have your name or your own publishing entity listed instead. If you intend to write many, many books, you can buy them in bulk. 

I did that--wow--what a liberating feeling to know I will probably never run out of ISBNs. I can write any book I want and never worry about that part of publishing. 

Of course you may not  be ready to buy a big batch. Just know that if you balk at the idea of listing CreateSpace or Ingram Spark or another as publisher, there is an alternative.

Stay encouraged.