I guess no one’s going to talk about the trial in Minneapolis

Guest Wesley Southern

Guest Wesley Southern

Former officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty on all counts including second degree murder of George Floyd. Second degree murder in Minnesota means you were in the process of committing a felony when you unintentionally kill someone. The standard for reaching this verdict is a unanimous jury and the absence of reasonable doubt. Earlier that day, there was a massive church fire in NE Minneapolis. Rep. Maxine Waters made comments that there will be consequences if the verdict didn’t come out guilty, guilty, guilty.

Is mob rule the new law and order?

Regardless of political affiliation, and actually regardless of whether you think he was innocent or guilty, that was the worst trial I have ever seen. There is no possible way that it was fair and unbiased. The judge didn't even sequester the jury- he let them keep their phones and have access to media and news.

It should get overturned in appeals. And then more rioting and looting and burning down of cities will occur.

I think you're right: mob rule is the new law and order. Following the law and the Constitution has certainly gone out the window.

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

some topics we shy away from as they can sometimes open a can of worms...starting arguments.

As Christians we should be informed, responsible citizens, who are well advised on how to handle extremely difficult situations like this.  Now here on christianwriters.com, there are pastors among us.  I'd personally like to read what advice they have, on how we as individual Christians should deal with this crisis.

• Like 1

After watching the video I wonder.  Do the majority of Black Americans agree with the people being interviewed?  If there are any Black American writers here on this website, I'd like to know what they think about the things being said.   

I'm thankful it's not being discussed here. There are plenty of political forums where this topic is being discussed, if you are interested in doing so. I view Christian Writers as a non-political venue where we can leave divisive political issues outside and have a safe place to fellowship with other Christians and discuss our writing.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Would you mind if I include both of you in a PM so we can discuss it there instead of on here? That way we don't offend or upset anyone. 🙂

Go ahead.  I'd like to avoid offending anyone, and to keep on getting along well with everyone here on christianwriters.com.

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Tommie Lyn said:

I'm thankful it's not being discussed here. There are plenty of political forums where this topic is being discussed, if you are interested in doing so. I view Christian Writers as a non-political venue where we can leave divisive political issues outside and have a safe place to fellowship with other Christians and discuss our writing.

Part of our role as Christian writers, in spreading a Christian worldview, is being aware of political issues and of the moral direction that the country is moving. Not saying at all that we should get into a political debate here, just that we should all be aware of what is going on in this nation.

Just now, Joshua Benefiel said:

Part of our role as Christian writers, in spreading a Christian worldview, is being aware of political issues and of the moral direction that the country is moving. Not saying at all that we should get into a political debate here, just that we should all be aware of what is going on in this nation.

I agree that we should be aware of what's going on, and there's a plethora of sources for that information. I get into political discussions all the time, and those issues often find their way into my writing. But I am very thankful for a non-political venue like Christian Writers where I can focus on other matters, too. 

• Like 1
Guest Wesley Southern
1 hour ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

@William D'Andrea @Wesley Southern To answer William's question, I am half black, and I kind of would like to respond to his question. Would you mind if I include both of you in a PM so we can discuss it there instead of on here? That way we don't offend or upset anyone. 🙂

i don't mind, but it's more William's question than mine