What’s your current writing project?

On 4/17/2021 at 11:57 AM, Wesley Southern said:

I’m almost done with a novella about a YP (young professional) moving back to her relatives in a small, conservative town and reconnecting with some old friends, and realizing how much she’s changed in the big city while everyone stayed the same. It’s supposed to be drama and man vs. man conflict. I have about 20,000 words.

Sounds like a good storyline. Congrats! 

• Like 1

I am branching out with my current WIP from paranormal spiritual thrillers to fantasy. Not as big a leap as some might think. 

Plighted

Plighted: to solemnly pledge one’s faith or loyalty; an unfortunate, difficult, or precarious situation.

For Ilona, a Numen trothed to Elgar, one of Immara’s elite guardsmen, it means all the above.

Upon their Assembly sanctioned union, she and Elgar are sent away from her beloved Immara, land of light, in search of Lirium, the utopia of peace and healing promised to all retiring Garridin. Beset with challenges, misfortunes, and dangers in every land they enter, Ilona wonders if this perfect land exists outside of Immara — or if it resides only in the broken and scarred soul of the man she’s vowed to love. 

However, an overheard conversation indicates the high commander of the Garridin’s troth to a Numen as young as Ilona, and their immediate departure from Immara, might be for other reasons.

What fate are they running from — or toward?

Plighted.jpg

• Like 1

I'm up to around 90,000 words and have a couple scenes I want to connect to the main story.  Protagonist needs break from school and election-year politics and takes a trip.  On the way, she has a breakdown and loses her memory and finds herself living off the land and the hospitality of people she meets around her new 'home'.  Really an intro to wild edibles.  Good or not, I'm having fun writing it and considering lots of spin-off ideas.

Edited by Paul but not THE
Deleted extra word. Best proofreading is done after hitting send.
  • Like 1
On 4/19/2021 at 11:47 AM, Paul but not THE said:

I'm up to around 90,000 words and have a couple scenes I want to connect to the main story.  Protagonist needs break from school and election-year politics and takes a trip.  On the way, she has a breakdown and loses her memory and finds herself living off the land and the hospitality of people she meets around her new 'home'.  Really an intro to wild edibles.  Good or not, I'm having fun writing it and considering lots of spin-off ideas.

It sounds so interesting, Paul!  I want to read it some day!

My current project is actually about five books (okay seven) One is Forever and Always and don’t ask me what it’s about because I don’t know how to explain it 😂 another is Secret Life and that’s about um well teens and drugs and sneaking out and all that. then there Sing For Me, a Niall Horan fanfic, The Dream of You and I, which is a Joe Jonas fanfic and the second or first book in a trilogy I’m writing with my friends. the fourth is a faith based motivational book for teens, and I’m writing that with my friends. the other two are just ideas I’m half working on and probably giving up soon haha one is about a group of teen assassins and one about a boy and girl who stay friends through a really tough summer where the boys mom dies and so he has to go across the country to another home (his dad is dead) and so until then the two kids agave lots of fun in their last summer. that doesn’t have a title. aaaand I’ve got three or four other book ideas lol. 

so yeah I’m busy 😂😂

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ThePerilousPen said:

another is Secret Life and that’s about um well teens and drugs and sneaking out and all that.

oh hey, my story The Sugar Pop Party is about the same thing. It's in the critique forum, but ppl aren't liking it much -.-

1 minute ago, Wesley Southern said:

oh hey, my story The Sugar Pop Party is about the same thing. It's in the critique forum, but ppl aren't liking it much -.-

I’ll take a look! Lol when you said Sugar Pop Party it reminded me of a One Direction video 😆

I am still working on a sequel to my first book from 10 years ago.  Now that I have a little time I have started writing again, I have about 10 short stories done and am now working on the Widow's Mite. I am having trouble thinking of a good way to describe a small child running down the stairs like a runaway freight train.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Or they might just be giving their honest critiques.

Or some of us may be too ... past those years ... to remember.

Most likely it is the honest critiques, intended to help you make the story better. I've been on this site for several years now, and I have learned a great deal about making a story better by reading the comments people make--about my stories and about other people's stories. We can all learn, even people who have published several books. Even the best-selling authors can find ways to improve their stories.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, yawarakai said:

I am having trouble thinking of a good way to describe a small child running down the stairs like a runaway freight train.

Perhaps the child has the energy of a Duracell battery but with five of them?

18 hours ago, yawarakai said:

a small child running down the stairs like a runaway freight train

A small child on a stairs could easily sound like a thundering herd of cattle.  Now I'm wondering how I described a couple kids coming down a stairs into the church's fellowship hall.

Edited by Paul but not THE
I hate typos!
2 minutes ago, Paul but not THE said:

A small on a stairs could easily sound like a thundering herd of cattle.  Now I' wondering how I described a couple kids coming down a stairs into the church's fellowship hall.

"...Kevin leaned over to Redtail.  “Can I come to that wild edibles thing in July, too?”

Redtail said, “Why sure you can!  Bring Mike and Jerry, too.” 

“THUMP!  TH-Thump, BUMP BUMP…!” went the stairway.

Amy spoke softly but firmly at the 4 girls who emerged giggling from the stairs, “WHAT was THAT!?  Your dad weighs as much as all four of you put together and doesn’t even make a quarter of the noise you do in the halls and stairs!  Walk softly.”

The girls looked caught, but not really remorseful.  It wasn’t the first time adults got after them for stomping and noise –probably wouldn’t be the last, either.  They got over it pretty quick and the noise level went back up a bit as they swooped in on the snack table..."