What’s your current writing project?

I’m almost done with a novella about a YP (young professional) moving back to her relatives in a small, conservative town and reconnecting with some old friends, and realizing how much she’s changed in the big city while everyone stayed the same. It’s supposed to be drama and man vs. man conflict. I have about 20,000 words.

• Like 2

My current writing project is not going well at all. I think it's melodramatic, sloppy, long-winded, with cardboard characters and a weird, improbable plot. Plus I cannot make myself continue working on it. I am at 10,000 (ish) words.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Leah_Donavan said:

My current writing project is not going well at all. I think it's melodramatic, sloppy, long-winded, with cardboard characters and a weird, improbable plot. Plus I cannot make myself continue working on it. I am at 10,000 (ish) words.

boy oh boy, do I have a self-serving suggestion for u. Could you collab w me on a YA Drama?

I'm nearing the end of the third Scribbles story, Scribbles III: Survival, but I can't seem to make myself finish it. When I write, I have to be immersed in the story, I have to be living it, and stuff keeps interrupting me these days, won't let me get involved enough to write. Oh, well, maybe one of these days, I can type "The End."

• Like 2

I have a lot honestly....Lol!! Too many to count! 😜 I think my current one is called The Missing Link (for now). One of the girls (Lauren) comes from a home that's pretty much abusive and runs away. She meets Whitney, another MC in the story, and there's all of that in between. I have a reason for the title being "The Missing Link" though...

Also working on a bunch of story prompts for a club. 😄

• Like 3

I mean, is it still considered my current project if I haven't worked on it seriously for weeks, or possibly months?  It's still the book I really truly want to write, it's just that I can't seem to go anywhere realistic with it.

It began as a modern spinoff of a 1939 hit play, and I titled it"Lily Among Thorns." In one month, I wrote 11,011 words.  Then I found out that I had to scrap the whole thing because the plot had way too many holes and no conceivable way to fix them.

So I did some rethinking (and some more, and some more, and you get the idea) and it's now a completely different story called "A Beat of the Heart." The plot has gone through so much, but the story as I envision it now, is the story of a teenage girl named Joanna who's being raised by her undependable, somewhat less than caring mother.  Joanna is on the path to becoming a juvenile delinquent when her mother decides she's had enough, and sends Joanna off to live in a small Louisiana town with her wealthy father.  Under her father's influence, she begins to mature and become a better person.  But just as she grows close to him, their new relationship is threatened by the fact that her father has a heart condition that is going to kill him sooner rather than later.

And that's about as far as I've gotten.  It's quite a struggle.  I don't know if I'll ever actually write the whole thing, but believe me, I want to.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Grey_Skies said:

Hah, thanks.  I'd love to.  I'm not confident of my abilities.

From the snippets you've shared in the Critique Forum, I'd say you should be more confident than you are...and with some work (and help) you can totally write your story. Don't give up now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My long-term project is a loosely-connected short novel series, so I guess I can say that's my current project, but not technically working on anything at the moment, as I've just published Book Four and am not yet ready to begin Book Five.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Leah_Donavan said:

Why don't you share a bit? We might be able to help. Sloppy and long-winded are surprisingly easy problems to fix, with a few simple writing guidelines under your belt. As for cardboard characters and improbable plot...they might not be as bad as you think they are. And even if they are, hey, they can only get better, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Zee - put some up on the critique forum and then we can help and encourage.  Believe the help and encouragement these guys give amazing. 

Current project - keeping myself from throwing everything in the bin at the moment. It is a phase and I will come out the other side but at the mo I am in the bendy bit. 

I am in the last stages of finishing the Sphinx series with Granny Annie line edited to sort the dyslexic typos out.  (now called Grandma Sadie because it was pointed out to me I already had a character with a similar name.).

I am  almost done Hannah just waiting for one more beta reader to come back. I should get on with the next book but just don't inclined to do so am leaving it. Am working on a proposal/marketing plan for my series of meditations, which I got a personalise response containing some excellent advice on how to market it, so that is encouraging.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Zee said:

From the snippets you've shared in the Critique Forum, I'd say you should be more confident than you are...and with some work (and help) you can totally write your story. Don't give up now.

Thank you, @Zee❤️ Your encouragement means a lot to me.  I will get back to it, eventually, when life calms down a little bit and I find more time to put pen to paper ... or finger to keyboard, I mean.  😉

• Like 3