If you ever want to do another type of prompt...

That might be a lot of fun to do here. 

Not sure how many here read the magazine, Writer's Digest. They have a monthly column called "Your Story." Sometimes they do just what you mentioned above, but often, they just invite readers to write a first line for the story, based on the picture prompt. They'll publish maybe 10-20 responses in a subsequent issue, and it's surprising how varied and clever the different submissions are.

Seeing them all at once is particularly amazing, because there's no chance for one response to influence later submissions. It also shows just how many, many, many, many, many different ideas are possible to find for a lot of writing tasks, and how our own initial ideas and impressions may lock-out so many alternatives in our own minds. They'll publish  a few responses on their website; here's an example:

https://www.writersdigest.com/your-story-competition/your-story-104

https://www.writersdigest.com/your-story-competition/winners

These are somewhat goofy pictures, and got goofy responses. Some neutral pictures get more thoughtful ideas.

Edited by Wes B
  • Like 2

cool, wes! fun to come up with just an opening line. that way, it wouldn't take up any time. thanks, wes. 😃

sw, yes, that would take time. it was really a suggestion for someone else to start it but running with wes' idea would be easy peasy. and more members could jump in. i'll bet you would have time for that way. 😉

• Like 3

You know, it occurs to me that the writing prompt thing doesn't have to be an either/or proposition... You can invite both kinds of responses, and people can choose how they want to respond.

Someone puts up a picture, and people either write the first line of a story, or an entire 500 word piece from it. That way, people can "play" even if they don't have the time to commit to a full story. Lots more responses, but also a chance for some serious work.

When WD does the picture prompt in their column, they do an either/or, because they have only limited space to display the "winners." If they invited one-liners, they can print 10-20 of them, but if they asked for a full story (they allow up to 650 words...) they can only print one. We don't have that space limitation here, and can do both at once.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:44 PM, lynnmosher said:

we probably won't do it now unless someone wants to start it. too many prompts right now. so we'll wait.

WelL....

I do finish school next Tuesday Lord willing; so I'd have plenty of free time on my hands. I could do it just so I could find something to do besides watching YouTube videos instead of writing when I should be! 😄