Favorite ending line you have read or written?

"Before exiting the room, Violet opened the yellow folder in which was The Legend of Tybee Hall details written on a sheet of parchment. Across the file she wrote in black ink Solved."

😄

• Like 2

“He could feel his heart beating against the pine needle floor of the forest”

-- Ernest Hemmingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

(It's intensely ironic, as it's almost identical to the first line of the novel, though the circumstances are nothing alike...)

• Like 3

“A pint of bitter, please,” said Ransom.

(From “Out of the Silent Planet”)

The reason it’s one of my favorites makes a lot more sense in context.

• Like 3

My favorite ending line that I've written is from Scribbles:

"And as he raised his eyes to meet Johnny's, he said, "Don't ever make her mad." "

That line ended the story, but there was an Epilogue which set up the next story in the series. Here's the ending line of the Epilogue from Scribbles:

"And the discussion continued, circling around opposing opinions as the car circled round hillsides and bore them toward the castle. And toward, they hoped, the destiny envisioned by their forebears."

• Like 2

Do ending lines from plays count?  If so ...

CROSSMAN: I've never liked liars.  Least of all those who lie to themselves.

CONSTANCE: Most of us lie to ourselves, darling.  Most of us.

Curtain

(From Lillian Hellman's "The Autumn Garden")

Edited by Grey_Skies
  • Like 2

"And what he read on her face brought a sudden hot rush of tears to his eyes, but he did not let them fall until his back was turned, and he was through the doorway, and his feet were carrying him westward; westward to Laigin and a place that had once been home."      --Juliet Marillier, Blade of Fortriu 

• Like 1

"Or maybe even old compatriots in butternut brown wending their way in and out of history- gallant, Arthurian, their canister-ripped colors unfurled in the roiling smoke, the fatal light in their faces a reminder that the contest is never quite over, the field never quite ours."

• Like 1