Which type of critique?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of critique do you prefer?

• False flattery
    • Brutal truthbombs
    • Sugarcoated half-truths
  2. 2. Which critique do you think most people prefer?

• EVERYTHING WAS BEAUTIFUL AND NOTHING HURT
    • Here is a list of all your flaws...
    • Neither—if you can’t find anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all
  3. 3. Which type of critique do you think most people give?

• Genuine
    • Fake
    • Silence

A good critique should be given with both honesty and kindness, pointing out what is wrong with your work, what needs to be fixed, and what they are doing right. That way, we can not only edit it to get rid of the flaws, fix what doesn't work, but strengthen what works best in the story. 

Sugarcoating and attaboys help no one. 

Is silence considered a critique? 🤔 

• Like 4

Unfortunately, your poll doesn’t have an option for “Honest, Courteous Advice.” That’s the type of critique I like to receive, and certainly the type I hope I give.

No writer is so awful/inexperienced/whatever that there’s nothing good to be said for his work, and no one is so talented/skilled/brilliant that he can’t learn something new.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Zee said:

No writer is so awful/inexperienced/whatever that there’s nothing good to be said for his work, and no one is so talented/skilled/brilliant that he can’t learn something new.

Well put. I've sent several authors back to the drawing board to start their manuscript almost from scratch, but even then I could point out how I connected with a character or two. And even the best writer I edit for has more "Well,"s than is healthy or forgets to add enough paragraph breaks.

There is a reason we are told to speak "the truth in love." Lies aren't loving and brutality isn't loving either.

So, like @suspensewriter, I think this poll is worth asking but terribly poorly worded. 

• Like 1