Oh my. That's a hard question to answer, because, in retrospect, it seems my life has been filled with pivotal moments. But I suppose, all things considered, the one with the most far-reaching effect was the Wednesday night when my daddy had to preach a trial sermon at a congregation in Alabama (we lived in Georgia at the time). I was fourteen. An elder's daughter took me under her wing and invited me to sit with her. Two pews in front of us, there was a most intriguing boy sitting with some of his friends. I became fascinated with him that night and never got over it. I told him later, after over 50 years of being married to him, that I'd fallen in love with the back of his head that night. 

• Like 4

On July 6, 1972, I was near the end of a short vacation I'd been enjoying in Jackson Hole, WY. It's a beautifully picturesque little western town, nestled among the mountains. In the center of the town is a large, square park, which I'd visit every day. The hippie movement was in full swing, and the place was packed with young kids from all over the country. It was easy to walk up to various groups, and meet people from just about everywhere. It was an interesting time.

Once while I was sitting alone, a young girl came up to me and started telling me about Jesus. I wasn't exactly interested, but tried to be polite. Her mother and sister were sitting on a blanket nearby, and she grabbed my hand and dragged me over to meet them. Her sister had a guitar, and they were singing about Jesus. 

Now, the hippie movement wasn't a monolithic group. There were druggies, there were those into politics, and there was a small number that were also into Jesus. The music brought various of these Jesus People gradually over to us, and I was impressed by just how loving these strangers were to each other, and how happy they were. They too were from all over the place, and at one point, there were maybe 40 people in a circle, singing and praising God.

Jesus said the world would know we're His disciples by our love for one another, and that's what got me to listen to them. I gave my heart to the Lord on that day. As we were breaking up for the evening, a few of them invited everyone over that night to a trailer where 8 or so of them were staying for the summer, and I had to have more, so I went.

We did a lot of talking & it was a really wonderful time. Someone asked if I knew what baptism was, and to shorten a long story, we all piled into the back of a van and headed to a mountain stream outside town, where they baptized me in the dark. As I was leaving the group that night, one of the kids living in the trailer gave me her Bible, with some encouraging words inscribed inside the cover, and I said thanks & goodbye. I was leaving for home the next day, so it was the last I ever saw any of them.

It was really sad to leave, but 'course... the adventure was just beginning. I still have the Bible.

Edited by Wes B
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 4/15/2021 at 11:32 AM, Tommie Lyn said:

Oh my. That's a hard question to answer, because, in retrospect, it seems my life has been filled with pivotal moments. But I suppose, all things considered, the one with the most far-reaching effect was the Wednesday night when my daddy had to preach a trial sermon at a congregation in Alabama (we lived in Georgia at the time). I was fourteen. An elder's daughter took me under her wing and invited me to sit with her. Two pews in front of us, there was a most intriguing boy sitting with some of his friends. I became fascinated with him that night and never got over it. I told him later, after over 50 years of being married to him, that I'd fallen in love with the back of his head that night. 

Oh wow. That is so cool! Yes, that moment changed your life forever, in a very good way. 

• Like 1
On 4/15/2021 at 12:37 PM, Wes B said:

On July 6, 1972, I was near the end of a short vacation I'd been enjoying in Jackson Hole, WY. It's a beautifully picturesque little western town, nestled among the mountains. In the center of the town is a large, square park, which I'd visit every day. The hippie movement was in full swing, and the place was packed with young kids from all over the country. It was easy to walk up to various groups, and meet people from just about everywhere. It was an interesting time.

Once while I was sitting alone, a young girl came up to me and started telling me about Jesus. I wasn't exactly interested, but tried to be polite. Her mother and sister were sitting on a blanket nearby, and she grabbed my hand and dragged me over to meet them. Her sister had a guitar, and they were singing about Jesus. 

Now, the hippie movement wasn't a monolithic group. There were druggies, there were those into politics, and there was a small number that were also into Jesus. The music brought various of these Jesus People gradually over to us, and I was impressed by just how loving these strangers were to each other, and how happy they were. They too were from all over the place, and at one point, there were maybe 40 people in a circle, singing and praising God.

Jesus said the world would know we're His disciples by our love for one another, and that's what got me to listen to them. I gave my heart to the Lord on that day. As we were breaking up for the evening, a few of them invited everyone over that night to a trailer where 8 or so of them were staying for the summer, and I had to have more, so I went.

We did a lot of talking & it was a really wonderful time. Someone asked if I knew what baptism was, and to shorten a long story, we all piled into the back of a van and headed to a mountain stream outside town, where they baptized me in the dark. As I was leaving the group that night, one of the kids living in the trailer gave me her Bible, with some encouraging words inscribed inside the cover, and I said thanks & goodbye. I was leaving for home the next day, so it was the last I ever saw any of them.

It was really sad to leave, but 'course... the adventure was just beginning. I still have the Bible.

That's a beautiful story, and yes a pivotal moment here and in eternity.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Tommie Lyn said:

CM, what was one of your most pivotal moments? Would you share that with us?

Hmm, like you it is hard to pinpoint just one moment, but I guess the day my second husband passed away was the most pivotal. My life changed dramatically. Nothing was the same. Not me. Not my family. Gone were all the family gatherings, celebrations, and holidays at my home. They were too painful without him. The family also fractured, pulled apart by grief. We are strung from one state to another and get togethers are few and far between. Some of that has mended over the years, but it's still not the same. I guess it shouldn't be. As for me, I'm stronger in my faith. I started writing and traveling, and I met my current husband. As the scripture says, "Beauty out of ashes." 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Cecilia Marie said:

Hmm, like you it is hard to pinpoint just one moment, but I guess the day my second husband passed away was the most pivotal. My life changed dramatically. Nothing was the same. Not me. Not my family. Gone were all the family gatherings, celebrations, and holidays at my home. They were too painful without him. The family also fractured, pulled apart by grief. We are strung from one state to another and get togethers are few and far between. Some of that has mended over the years, but it's still not the same. I guess it shouldn't be. As for me, I'm stronger in my faith. I started writing and traveling, and I met my current husband. As the scripture says, "Beauty out of ashes." 

**TL gives CM a virtual hug**

• Like 1