Improv a story with strangers!

Hey everyone, I had a brilliant idea as I was scanning the forums. I always wanted to improv a story with other writers. Just think, all the cooks in the kitchen get to contribute their ingredients to the final dish! 🤯

Rules: 

1. Declare you are going to write next.

2. Wait for the declared person to post their contribution.

3. If there's a queue, make a declaration anyway and I'll PM you when it's your turn.

4. Keep it PG-13.

5. Write a paragraph(s) to contribute to the story. (~4-6 sentences)

6. No consecutive posts (unless you're declaring your spot in the queue)

7. Storyline should have logical consistency.

8. Make the story part size 18 font.

We should start easy, with YA drama, third person limited and past tense. Keep it simple and realistic, no deus ex machinas. Don't worry too much about perfect grammar.

[Any town, USA; September 2021)

Two things were on Phoebe's mind after Governor Brown saw fit to end the COVID-19 lockdowns and the schools reopened: College applications and an old church friend. Well, maybe not "friend" exactly--Baylor was four years older than her and taught Sunday School before the virus shut down all the churches. She left town a few years ago, and Phoebe wondered where she was and how she was doing.

Her younger brother Timothy tagged her as he raced into the familiar hallway of their public school. Back to the grind, she thought, reaching to her back and grabbing the Post-It note that read KICK ME.

Edited by Wesley Southern
17 hours ago, Wesley Southern said:

4. Keep it PG-13.

Site guidelines are not to exceed PG.

Material posted to our site may not exceed a PG rating. No cursing, sexually explicit, excessively violent, or other material considered objectionable in polite company is not permitted.

• Like 1

"TIMOTHYYYYY!" she yelled, sprinting after him. Her brother gave a gleeful chuckle as he darted away. After a minute of hopelessly chasing him, Phoebe finally gave up and stopped to catch her breath. This boy is way too fast for me.

As she leaned against a wall to breathe, her gaze fell onto something wrinkly on the floor. "Huh? What's this?" Phoebe leaned over to pick the paper up and turned it over curiously.

"Hey!" Suddenly, the paper was snatched from Phoebe's hands. Stunned, Phoebe glanced up and found Alicia standing there, giving her an ice-cold glare that would've certainly killed anyone.

"Uh....I found that," Phoebe stated uncertainly. She held her hand out. "Could I have it back?"

"No, of course not." Alicia stuffed the paper into her pockets and shifted her glance to the wall.

"Why?"

Alicia sighed. "Because.."

• Like 1

Just then, the bell rang and everyone in the hallway scrambled to get to their classes. Alicia turned away immediately and mixed into the crowd.

Maybe it was a love letter, Phoebe thought. Whatever it was, Phoebe had Senior Honors English first period. She had been looking forward to her first class of her senior year until Ms. Metcalfe handed out the new syllabus, including this year's reading list. Wait a minute, had the curriculum changed?

image.png.31066aa35219ffe1d8d62109f5a9d592.png

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 10:58 AM, EClayRowe said:

I'd like to know what happened to our sci-fi noir story. Is it possible that I can find the story in archives? 

If you are referring to the one I tried to start, it died from neglect. I did continue it to a point, but stopped because it needs changing. 

On 4/14/2021 at 7:36 PM, Wesley Southern said:

Hey everyone, I had a brilliant idea as I was scanning the forums. I always wanted to improv a story with other writers. Just think, all the cooks in the kitchen get to contribute their ingredients to the final dish! 🤯

Good luck. 🙄

5 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

If you are referring to the one I tried to start, it died from neglect. I did continue it to a point, but stopped because it needs changing.

I thought I was hogging it. I had an ending.

8 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

I thought I was hogging it. I had an ending.

Nope, all told there were four members participating. And when that stopped (if you recall) I asked if it was ok that I took it further from there.

I did change the protagonist name though even though I liked the way it rolled off the tongue.  I found Phillip Marlow was used in a number of books by another author. 

Was going fairly well until I realized I was going somewhere I didn't want to go and deleted a big chunk. Might need more deleations. Definitely needs big changes.  I haven't done much with it lately, been letting it sit before I try to fix it.