Offering to Work as a Co-Author

I'm offering to work as a co-author.  Does anyone want help from a partner, with anything he or she is writing?  If so, let me know.  I've been suffering from writers block for much too long, and am totally bored.  That doesn't mean I'm unable to write.  I'm just unable to think of anything new.  I still have the ability to put words together well, and I'm offering to do so for any of you who'd like to give me a chance, as your partner.

If anyone would, please let me know.

Thank you.  

This is a very cool offer!  I have nothing definite at the moment, but that is not to say that I couldn't...

What kind of writing do you usually do?  Any specific genre or style?  I've actually been thinking about seeing if anyone was interested in writing a fun little short story with me at some point.  Mind you, I'm no professional; it would just be for fun.

Posted (edited)

The writing I usual do is Suspense/Thrillers in different genres; usually supernatural or speculative fiction, often with Christian themes.  I also write non-fiction articles, also concerning Christian themes.  

To get an idea of what my writings are like, I have 8 separate works posted here on christianwriters.com, in the Reading Room.

I'm a natural comedian, and when I'm writing fiction, this joker is wild.  I would also like to try writing a fun, little short story myself.  That might help cure my writers block.  Do you have any idea of what it would be about? 

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 1

Sounds good!  I had a look at your story, "Smashed Potatoes" and found it very amusing.  I like your style of humor!

I particularly love the fact that you said you like to go wild with your comedy in fiction.  That's definitely right up my alley!

I have a few short story ideas running through my head right now, so how's about I share a few of them, and you can let me know which one interests you the most.  😉

1. Exit Stage Left

This one I started work on a while back, and never finished.  It's about a washed up stage actor facing a midlife crisis in a Seattle bar one rainy night, when a wanted criminal enters the joint to hide from the police.  It's supposed to be kind of a dark comedy/drama about two brilliant people who ultimately come to the realization that they wasted their lives.  The main character is based on famous actor John Barrymore.

2. Untitled 

A totally zany comedy (in which case I think this one would appeal to you) about a 14-year-old girl named Aurora who travels the country in a beat-up, old Volkswagen bus with her aging, widowed father ... who happens to be a professional con man.  Both are rather cynical and searching for purpose in life.

3. The Sign Says Do Not Touch (working title, subject to change)

A 12-year-old boy spends the evening with his grandfather while his parents are out on the town celebrating their anniversary.  His grandfather is the famous Sir Lewis Farnsworth, a noted explorer who led many expeditions until an unfortunate automobile accident crippled him.  But their evening is ruined when two Indian thugs break into the house to retrieve an ancient artifact Sir Lewis found on his last expedition.  Actually, he should never have touched it in the first place...

Well, let me know what interests you, and feel free to make suggestions of your own.  I look forward to writing with you!

Thank you.  I've just read your three story ideas.  They all sound good.  I'll be taking time to think things over, and probably won't let you know what I've decided until some time tomorrow. 

In the morning I have a routine doctor's appointment, so you might not receive a reply from me until the afternoon.

Thank you again.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Here's an idea I'm having about Exit Stage Left.  Since we'd be posting the story here on christianwriters.com, I think there should be a Christian element.

What I'm thinking, is that the "Wanted Criminal" should be a Christian Preacher who's being hounded by Politically Correct thugs.  He's run into the Bar to hide from them.  The Actor could be playing it safe by going along with Political Correctness.  In the course of the story, he could be speaking with the Preacher, who leads him to repentance and salvation.  In Jesus Name.  Amen. 

Would you find that acceptable? 

• Like 1

Now that's a fascinating thought!  I had originally envisioned it as a very bleak story about major regret, but perhaps adding a Christian element and making it a story of redemption would make it better!

If we were to go with the Political Correctness theme, what time period do you imagine the story taking place in?

After giving this a lot of thought, I think that the story should be taking place now, during the corona virus church lockdowns.  Then the Preacher, would be hiding from the Police.  Not from any Politically Correct Thugs.

You say it would be taking place in Seattle.  From what I've been seeing in News Reports, that seems like a right place for this to be happening.  It's become a City where, "They call evil good and good evil, and have exchanged darkness for light"; as the Bible says.

If you happen to live in or around Seattle, I apologize if what's I've just written has offended you.  

• Like 1

Now another thought has occurred to me.  We're not handling this story the right way.

You've said that you "started work on Exit Stage Left a while back, and never finished.  What we should be doing is finishing the story you started, not starting a new one.

If you have a copy of the original, could you post it to me through the private massages?  Then I'll take a look at it, and see what, if anything, I might be able to do to help.

I also have some uncompleted works, that you might want to look at, and see what help you might be able to give. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply; I didn't have time to get on the computer yesterday.

Oh, no need to worry, no offense taken.  I live in Michigan, in a lovely spot right near the lake.  Well, lovely except for the sometimes terrible wifi.  😉  But I've heard much about Seattle, and I absolutely agree with you.  I even watched part of a whole documentary on the happenings in Seattle, and it was heartbreaking.  As for the story taking place there, I can't recall precisely why I chose that locale ... it was either a random decision on my part, or it may have been suggested by the prompt I originally got the idea from. 

Yes, I would be happy to send you a copy of the story so far, via private messages.  I'll do that right now, and you can look over it and see what other thoughts you might have.  I'm totally open to anything you'd like to suggest.  If what I've written so far doesn't appeal to you, we can always switch story ideas too.  And if you'd like to share some of your uncompleted works that you mentioned, by all means, please do!  I'd be happy to look at them.  Thanks for all your help!

Thank you.  I've just read through the writing you sent me.  I'll take time to think it over, before I make any comments.  Right now I'll begin looking through my uncompleted writings, to see which one I'll be sending you.

Thank you again.  

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

Right now I'll begin looking through my uncompleted writings, to see which one I'll be sending you.

Thank you again.  

Hello Grey_Skies:

Here is a copy of my uncompleted story "Blessed Acorns", which is posted on the writers website writing.com.  www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142705-Blessed-Acorns

On that website I use the pen name Yesmrbill .

I hope you like it.  Please let me know what you think, if you'd like to continue the story, and any ideas about what you'd like to add.

Thank you again.

• Like 1

I just finished reading it.  Wow, that was impressive!  Definitely not a twist I saw coming.  I'll have to give it some more thought, but honestly, I love it the way it is!  It seems like a perfect  way to end the story on a humorous twist. 

EDIT: I am so sorry!  I meant to post this last night, and then I think I must have gotten a text or something that made me drop everything and then I never got back to replying to you. 

Anyway, the only thing I was going to say was that the only thing that might be added is possibly more explanation about the acorns, perhaps the story of how they were found a d why they are "blessed."  And then possibly, just possibly, some idea of what happened afterwards.  Did Vivien stay young?  Did it eventually wear off?  What does her granddaughter finally end up doing.  Just some little things like that.  That's what came to my mind anyway.

I'm really not sure where to go with this story from here.  The idea of a high school girl fighting with her grandmother over a high school boy, sounds like a comedy.  Grandma could still conduct the Sunday morning Bible Study at the Church; which her granddaughter and the boyfriend would both attend.

As for the miraculous powers of the acorns.  That's something to which I'd have to give a lot of thought.

One idea I've had is that Grandma Vivien has been living in a Senior Citizens Housing Community.  Now that her youth has been restored, would she be asked to leave? 

It may take a good amount of time before I begin to continue the writing.

• Like 1

Yes, go ahead and give it some thought.  It's up to you if you ever want to continue it.

As for where Vivien lives, I think that if she became young again, she would most likely be asked to leave the Senior Citizens Home.

Posted (edited)

As for Vivien living in a Senior Citizen Center, I live in a real one myself.  This means that if I'm writing about a fictional one, I don't want to offend any of my real neighbors.  So I'd have to be careful.  Personally, I do keep to myself.  I'm not nosey and I don't gossip; but there are a few here that are, and who do.  In my story, Vivien might be one herself.

If she has to leave the Center, the place where she'd be most likely to move, would be her daughter's home.  There, she'd also be living with her granddaughter, who calls her a "Ho". 

Putting all these elements together would make the story a comedy.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

So, do you want it to be a comedy or are you going for a different angle?

Since I'm a natural comedian, everything I write contains some humor, even very dark stories.  For me, writing fiction is a journey of exploration and discovery.  At the beginning I have only a general idea where I'm going, and often come across some things that are totally unexpected. 

Also, when I'm in the middle of writing some long tale, I often think, "This is gonna be awful."

But I keep on going.  Then I reach a point where all the parts fall into place, and by the end the story has turned out much better than I'd expected.

Since that's my way of writing, I don't classify it as "Comedy" or anything else, until it's completed.  That's when I choose the genre or genres. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Grey_Skies said:

I think that if she became young again, she would most likely be asked to leave the Senior Citizens Home.

Now I'm thinking that after she returns to the Senior Citizens Center with her youth restored, every other resident would ask to receive some of the blessed acorns too. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

Now I'm thinking that after she returns to the Senior Citizens Center with her youth restored, every other resident would ask to receive some of the blessed acorns too. 

That sounds good to me!  I think it would be fun reading to see her reaction to the other residents' request.

Oh, incidentally, I'm sorry it's taking me a little while to check out the play "Jesus Christ Superstar" and reply to our private chat.  I haven't forgotten; I've just had a very busy and long week (only the first of several busy weeks, I'm thinking), and haven't had time yet.  I've got a banquet presentation at a church to go to tonight, where I'm giving a short testimony, so I will hopefully be replying tomorrow.

Thanks!

That

14 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

I've got a banquet presentation at a church to go to tonight, where I'm giving a short testimony, so I will hopefully be replying tomorrow.

Thanks!

That's okay.  With everything being shut down, I'm in no rush.  I can wait.  I think it would be nice to attend a church banquet again.  It's been so long I've forgot what it's like!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

I think it would be nice to attend a church banquet again.  It's been so long I've forgot what it's like!

Thank you for understanding.  Yes, all the shutdowns really are a shame.  I'm sorry you haven't been able to attend events like that.  Actually, it's a banquet for the nonprofit ministry Child Evangelism Fellowship, which I am working for this summer as a paid summer missionary, since I turn 16 in June.  They usually have a big banquet with all the local supporting churches, but this year, because of the shutdowns, they're having smaller, individual banquets.

In June you'll be turning 16?  August 3rd will be my 76th Birthday. 

I wonder how many candles there would be on my birthday cake?

"Take a reeeeeeealy deep breath, Uncle Bill!"

When it comes to the writing, I wonder how different our outlooks will be, on elderly people's youth being restored?