A question Jesus Asked got me thinking

Hi everyone, 

Early this morning, I opened my Bible and began studying Matthew 16:13-20. Jesus asked a question, "whom do men say that I the Son of man am?"

The disciples were quick to answer, "some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets."

When it became personal, there was dead silence in the room. 

This got me thinking, we could boldly retell what others have said about Jesus. 

What is our own revelation of Jesus?

If you were to be in the room that night and our Lord Jesus asked, "But who do you say I am?" What would be your response?

4 hours ago, Emmanuel Jeremiah said:

Hi everyone, 

Early this morning, I opened my Bible and began studying Matthew 16:13-20. Jesus asked a question, "whom do men say that I the Son of man am?"

The disciples were quick to answer, "some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets."

When it became personal, there was dead silence in the room. 

This got me thinking, we could boldly retell what others have said about Jesus. 

What is our own revelation of Jesus?

If you were to be in the room that night and our Lord Jesus asked, "But who do you say I am?" What would be your response?

He gave all so that I could be saved.  He is my Savior, He bore my sins so I do not have to be judged for my sins.  He forgives and He loves.  It is a relationship!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

The Christ, the son of the Living God.

yup. ditto. however, that is said from here at this time. it's rather uncertain what i would think or say from there, knowing only what they knew.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

yup. ditto. however, that is said from here at this time. it's rather uncertain what i would think or say from there, knowing only what they knew.

Me too. This morning after my study, I had to pause and ask God for a fresh deeper revelation of Christ. Not what men had told me about Jesus.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Emmanuel Jeremiah said:

Hmm Amazing. I like this

I'm having a rough time right now (on and off).  I sometimes get tears because I think I've lost my wife (haven't, but sometimes feels like it), but then smiles come because I still have Jesus.  I think, "All I really need is Jesus" and then of the implication that I don't need anything else.  Then the thought of 'that means I don't need my wife' --and the tears start all over again.  Doing something stupid, then the brokenness and healing is quite confusing!

• Sad 1
24 minutes ago, Paul but not THE said:

implication that I don't need anything else.  Then the thought of 'that means I don't need my wife' --and the tears start all over again.  Doing something stupid, then the brokenness and healing is quite confusing

I may not understand your statement very well but I want you to know that your wife is God's gift to you and He has asked us to love our wives as he had loved us and gave Himself for us. So, cherish your wife as must as you would cherish our Lord Jesus.   When negative thought comes to mind cast it down and fix your thought on the sweet memories you share with your wife and as well ruminate on Calvary sacrifice for you (God's highest love demonstrated for us)

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Emmanuel Jeremiah said:

I may not understand your statement very well but I want you to know that your wife is God's gift to you and He has asked us to love our wives as he had loved us and gave Himself for us. So, cherish your wife as must as you would cherish our Lord Jesus.   When negative thought comes to mind cast it down and fix your thought on the sweet memories you share with your wife and as well ruminate on Calvary sacrifice for you (God's highest love demonstrated for us)

I'm aware of this, but, emotions (the heart -the greatest of deceitful things) can sure play some nasty tricks on us at times.  Jesus is still that firm rock foundation, no matter what the storm may be.

6 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Which is, I believe, what Peter responded, or something close to that. The problem was that he really didn't understand what that meant.

Answers above are excellent, but do we understand what they mean?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

Answers above are excellent, but do we understand what they mean?

God is so vast, and we are so small...

We rarely even understand each other; do we have any chance of understanding the actual nature of God? I sometimes wonder whether the descriptions scripture gives of Him are no more than simple metaphor, to give such simple creatures as ourselves something we're capable of grasping onto.

That's just idle speculation of course, yet I wonder how awed/dumbfounded/overwhelmed we'll be someday, when we glimpse at who he really is...

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Paul but not THE said:

Doing something stupid, then the brokenness and healing is quite confusing!

I'm so sorry, @Paul but not THE!  You will certainly be in my prayers!! 😊 I may not fully understand what you are going through personally, but believe me, I sure do understand the confusing and sometimes painful process of healing.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Grey_Skies said:

I'm so sorry, @Paul but not THE!  You will certainly be in my prayers!! 😊 I may not fully understand what you are going through personally, but believe me, I sure do understand the confusing and sometimes painful process of healing.

A hard part in healing is that "don't pick at that scab or it won't heal" phase 😀

• Like 1
On 4/12/2021 at 7:57 AM, suspensewriter said:

Because He gave up so much to come to earth. He took on our sins and "He paid a debt he did not owe. I owed a debt I could not pay."

• Like 1