Hi everyone,

I hope these titles are everything they should be.  Should I wait until the end to give my story a title?

Titles: "The Sea's Lost Daughter" or "Lost Daughter of the Sea" 

I have two these titles for my fantasy novel, which I think are good ones, though I realize it could always change. What conjures the image of a water creature from Irish and Scottish mythology; (a seal that transforms into a human on land). She is taken from the sea by her mother and left to live among humans for 17 years before learning what she is and has make the decision whether return to her origins or remain a human.  These titles do conjure different images, I think the first fits better due to my novel's ending.  But, I could be wrong and want to know what everyone thinks.

Thank you..

Edited by CelticLady

Technically, they are both possessive, so they should convey the same idea. The second one is more formal. Perhaps it could be "Lost Daughter from the Sea." That would change the picture slightly.

Interesting concept.

• Like 1

"Lost Daughter of the Sea" gets my vote. I think it'll look better on a cover, and most importantly, I couldn't find another book by that title on Amazon. Tough to find a unique (or seldom used) title these days.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, CelticLady said:

Hi everyone,

I hope these titles are everything they should be.  Should I wait until the end to give my story a title?

Titles: "The Sea's Lost Daughter" or "Lost Daughter of the Sea" 

I feel as if starting with "The Sea's" might bring a sort of bleh moment to the mind since it doesn't really capture my attention. "Lost Daughter of the Sea," however, does capture my attention because I am immediately shown what's happening--there's someone's daughter who belongs to the sea.

I would wait until the end to add the title so that you could focus on writing the story before deciding on the title. However, if you're already done with the story or you want to do the title at any given moment, feel free to do so! 🙂

• Like 1

I like “The Sea’s Lost Daughter”. It reminds me of an old movie title, “The French Lieutenant’s Woman”. The grammatical construction is odd, lending mystery.

Other ideas:

- No More the Waves’ Embrace

- A Liberated Surf (play on the word serf)

- And Her Silk Shawl Floats Away (a selkie that forever sheds her skin)

In Technical Writing we put the subject as close to the front as possible. As the sea isn't your subject, I like Lost Daughter of the Sea to lend greater focus to the lost daughter.

• Like 1