Jump to content

Has anyone ever been bitten by a dog?


Recommended Posts

It's a plot point in my story, but I want to know some real life experiences with getting bitten by a dog. How serious was it? Did it require hospitalization? What were some of the effects of being bitten? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not been bitten, but my mom was when she was still living in the Philippines.  It left her with a fear of strange dogs, though she's fine with and likes the ones she knows.  (We have had several, but currently only have one, and most of our family has at least one or two dogs.)  She had to go to the hospital and get multiple rabies shots, I believe, but I can't remember the exact number.  It was quite a few, I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

I have not been bitten, but my mom was when she was still living in the Philippines.  It left her with a fear of strange dogs, though she's fine with and likes the ones she knows.  (We have had several, but currently only have one, and most of our family has at least one or two dogs.)  She had to go to the hospital and get multiple rabies shots, I believe, but I can't remember the exact number.  It was quite a few, I think.

Oh wow, I'm sorry that happened to her. Did she have any adverse effects from the bite itself or from the shots? Like did she get an infection, or start to exhibit any symptoms of rabies or anything like that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was bitten by our neighors, Chihuahua, they usually kept him chained to their clothesline where he could have the run of the length of it. I was afraid of dogs. It growled at me and lunged for my lower leg. My mom took me to the ER and the nurse said the bite didn't break the skin. She just washed it off with some medical soap. I was careful around that dog after that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, quietspirit said:

I was bitten by our neighors, Chihuahua, they usually kept him chained to their clothesline where he could have the run of the length of it. I was afraid of dogs. It growled at me and lunged for my lower leg. My mom took me to the ER and the nurse said the bite didn't break the skin. She just washed it off with some medical soap. I was careful around that dog after that.

Glad to know it didnt break skin. Most of the problems come when it breaks skin I see

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kells said:

It's a plot point in my story, but I want to know some real life experiences with getting bitten by a dog. How serious was it? Did it require hospitalization? What were some of the effects of being bitten? 

I was bitten by a small chihuahua mix.  It broke the skin but did not need stiches.  I washed it and put a band aid on it.  It hurt.  It was at someone's house I didn't know.  The dog had issues, because animals like me.  He did not want me to leave the house.  So he bit me to try and get me to stay.. It didn't work..I left...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes!  Over 30 years ago.  My knee still bears the scar.  A big ill-tempered black lab.  I was delivering some paperwork to a guy and when I knocked on the screen door, the dog came running, barking and snarling, jumped up and hit the handle with his foot, opened the door, spun around and nailed me in the knee.  It takes longer to read it than the actual event.

 

I had to report the dog, since it was in USAF housing on base, and I visited the hospital to make sure it didn't need any additional work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul but not THE said:

Yes!  Over 30 years ago.  My knee still bears the scar.  A big ill-tempered black lab.  I was delivering some paperwork to a guy and when I knocked on the screen door, the dog came running, barking and snarling, jumped up and hit the handle with his foot, opened the door, spun around and nailed me in the knee.  It takes longer to read it than the actual event.

 

I had to report the dog, since it was in USAF housing on base, and I visited the hospital to make sure it didn't need any additional work.

So it wasn't anything too serious? Did they mostly clean the cut after making sure it didn't have rabies?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThePerilousPen said:

haha my brother was! he was walking home (in high school) and this dog ran up and bit him in the leg. ripped through his jeans and left a lovely (and large) scar. 

 

I haven't been bitten, though. Oh but I've been bitten by a horse! XD 

Yikes! Did it break skin? 

 

How'd you get bitten by a horse? That sounds like a story I want to hear 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Kells said:

Yikes! Did it break skin? 

 

How'd you get bitten by a horse? That sounds like a story I want to hear 😁

oh yeah it broke the skin! I was actually very jealous because I thought the scar was cool ( I still think it is, and that happened about maybe 8 years ago?)

 

ahh well we were at this farm, and me and some other kids were feeding the horses from our hands. I was little so of course I did it wrong, and the horse bit my hand instead of the oats 🙄 it hurt really bad at the time, but honestly there was only a bit of blood to my memory, and now it wouldn't phase me at all XD 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2021 at 12:18 PM, Kells said:

Oh wow, I'm sorry that happened to her. Did she have any adverse effects from the bite itself or from the shots? Like did she get an infection, or start to exhibit any symptoms of rabies or anything like that?

No, not to my knowledge.  I think it just scared her and kinda turned her off of dogs for a while.

 

22 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Heyyyy, are you Filipino?

Half Filipino!  My dad's from Chicago, so yeah.  Most people don't think I look very Asian at all though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

Half Filipino!  My dad's from Chicago, so yeah.  Most people don't think I look very Asian at all though.

Same here (with the half Filipino)! Yaaaaay!! I'm not the only one!!!! XD

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ThePerilousPen said:

oh yeah it broke the skin! I was actually very jealous because I thought the scar was cool ( I still think it is, and that happened about maybe 8 years ago?)

 

ahh well we were at this farm, and me and some other kids were feeding the horses from our hands. I was little so of course I did it wrong, and the horse bit my hand instead of the oats 🙄 it hurt really bad at the time, but honestly there was only a bit of blood to my memory, and now it wouldn't phase me at all XD 

Somehow, I'm not surprised to hear that. XD

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Somehow, I'm not surprised to hear that. XD

yeah I'm the person who breaks a bone or cracks their head open and goes "WHOA MAD" (seriously, I was so happy when I sprained my ankle this summer, I thought it was so cool. not to mention when I feel off a 12-15 foot drop  into the middle of a creek that was filled with rocks and sticks and mud! it was about midnight, we were at summer camp, and I got so many cuts. it was mad fun, though, since it was for a game. that's how I sprained my ankle--I fell off three times) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been bitten a few times by dogs--not seriously.

 

Once I treated a young man who'd been bitten pretty severely on the forearm a couple of times. I use the word "treated" very loosely. I washed the wounds with hydrogen peroxide and advised him to wrap them up somehow. The dog belonged to a friend of his, so he knew it was not sick (rabies, etc.) I think that was pretty much the end of the story. Puncture wounds do take quite a while to heal, and infect easily, however. Is the person in your story supposed to experience complications from the bite?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.