Calligraphy artwork for Youtube subscribers!

Hi friends! 

I had a really cool idea recently that I wanted to try out.  First though, heads up: I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this.  So, if I'm not, then in advance I'm really sorry and I will delete the post pronto! 😳

Some of you know that I have a blog and a YouTube channel.  I'm really trying to grow both of these, mostly by word of mouth, though now I am also participating in blogathons, which have gotten me some more views, at least.  Anyway, my goal is to reach at least ten YouTube subscribers by summer, and I'm at eight right now. 

So, if any of you are interested in classic film, vintage-themed stuff, great movies and actors, or even video editing/video projects in general, please go to my channel and subscribe, or visit my blog and follow it.  And here's my "great idea": if you do subscribe or follow, leave a comment here that you did.  In your comment tell me your favorite Bible verse, phrase, or quote, and I will make you custom calligraphy artwork featuring that quote, all hand-drawn and painted.  Then, I'll snap a good picture of it, and send you the picture via a private message.  Feel free to do anything with it; download the picture and use it as screen wallpaper, print it, whatever you like.

Here is the link to my channel, Old Hat Cinema:

https://youtube.com/channel/UC1mUWpRAeWZ3L0L0h0bBWoA

And, here is the link to my blog: 

https://oldhatcinema.medium.com/

Thanks, and have a great day! 😉

• Like 1

The 'calligraphy' in the post title caught my eye.  I used to teach calligraphy, but my daughter really picked up on it and ran with it --to illumination too, guilding, making her own pigments,  I wish I had some shots of her work.  I think it's amazing.  She's incorporated leaded stained glass and carved woodwork to her stuff, too.  She's got an album or two posted on Facebook.  And I subscribed to your Youtube channel, too 🙂

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grey_Skies said:

Thanks ever so much, @Paul but not THE!  It means a lot to me!  That's so cool that you taught calligraphy!  I bet your daughter's work is beautiful too!  So, what is your favorite verse/quote?  Let me know and I'll get going on the artwork!  😁

The first favorite that pops to mind is the "whatever" verse.  Philippians 4:8  And here's some of my daughter's work.  

image.png

• Like 1

@Paul but not THE Oh wow, that is beautiful!  Thanks for sharing!  😁  Okay, Philippians 4:8, got it.  I shall get to work, and message you when it's finished!

@lynnmosher Thank you so, so much!  It's only March 30, but your subscription got me to my goal way before the summer deadline I set for myself!  Maybe I can aim for 12 or 15 subscribers now!  😉  What's your favorite quote/verse?  I'll do it after I finish Paul's.

Both of you, feel free to leave a comment on any of my videos to let me know what you think!  I express my deepest gratitude to you both!

my verse: "Did I not tell you and promise you that if you would believe and rely on Me, you would see the glory of God?" John 11:40 Ampc

i'll try to get over and leave a comment. depends on how i will feel.

• Like 1

Oh!  Lynn gave a translation!  I'm reading a Wycliffe Bible now.  Don't use that translation 🙂.  I'm only to Ephesians now, but now I gotta look Philippians 4:8 up.  Here it is:  "Fro hennus forth, britheren, what euere thingis ben sothe, what euere thingis chast, what euere thingis iust, what euere thingis hooli, what euere thingis able to be louyd, what euere thingis of good fame, if ony vertu, if ony preising of discipline, thenke ye these thingis,"  (Filipensis Cap 4:8)  It actually reads fairly smoothly in comparison to lots of other passages.

"8Me Christian bredren, las ob all, A da tell ya, mus keep on da study bout jes dem ting wa good mo den all an wa people oughta gii praise fa. Study bout dem ting wa true, dem ting wa honorable, dem ting wa right een God eye, dem ting wa ain neba mek people sin, dem ting wa mek ya wahn fa lob um, an dem ting wa people know fa be good fa true. 9Do dem ting A done laan oona. Mus do wa A beena tell ya fa do an wa ya see dat A da do. An God wa da gii we peace, e gwine be dey wid oona."  (Gullah Bible Philippians 4:8)  Not "English" but an Atlantic island dialect "Sea Island Creole".

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

my verse: "Did I not tell you and promise you that if you would believe and rely on Me, you would see the glory of God?" John 11:40 Ampc

John 11:40, alrighty!  😁 

@Paul but not THE Oh wow ... that's very interesting!  I definitely wouldn't be able to read a Bible like that.  I felt like I was straining my eyes just trying to read the excerpt you posted! 😂

Hey, would either of you mind if I did the verses in KJV?  Just the Bible I use and am used to.  Please let me know if that's okay.

Edited by Grey_Skies
8 hours ago, Grey_Skies said:

John 11:40, alrighty!  😁 

@Paul but not THE Oh wow ... that's very interesting!  I definitely wouldn't be able to read a Bible like that.  I felt like I was straining my eyes just trying to read the excerpt you posted! 😂

Hey, would either of you mind if I did the verses in KJV?  Just the Bible I use and am used to.  Please let me know if that's okay.

KJV's cool.  Classic.  A nice fit for calligraphy, too.  What's your favorite script style?  I like writing mostly in my own adaptation of Carolingian Miniscule/Celtic Roundhand/Foundational.  Blackletter is more the classic style though.  In my classes, I liked to use the word, "minimum" to show why dotting the Blackletter "i" came to be more popular 🙂

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Grey_Skies said:

@Paul but not THE Thanks, sounds good!  👍  Hmm, I like some of the simpler styles, such as Oriental and Display Italic, but I think Old English is more fitting for verse calligraphy, even though it's way more work.  🙂

"Oriental" --with a brush?  "Display Italic" like copperplate?  I never did get any good with a brush, nor with a thin copperplate nib.

21 hours ago, Paul but not THE said:

"Oriental" --with a brush?  "Display Italic" like copperplate?  I never did get any good with a brush, nor with a thin copperplate nib.

Haha ... okay, you have forced me to reveal my deep, dark secret.  I ... don't actually use a brush or even a fancy ink pen.  I use chisel tip permanent marker, and though it may not sound like it, it actually comes out quite well.  I posted a few samples of my work a while back in the Art Gallery discussion thread. 

2 hours ago, Paul but not THE said:

I might have to check that one out!   And watch out for absorbent paper with those felt-tips 🙂

Thanks, will do!  👍 I'm starting work on your verse right now.

@Wes B Hello, sir!  I'd like to tag you on this post, and here's why.

You can read my original post at the top to see the purpose of this thread but I thought of tagging you because there's this one specific video I uploaded to my channel a while ago, and I made it with your advice about smoother transitions in mind.  Have a look when you have a spare moment, and let me know what you think.  I tired to do more fades and less quick cuts between clips.

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

@Wes B Hello, sir!  I'd like to tag you on this post, and here's why.

11 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

Have a look when you have a spare moment, and let me know what you think.  I tired to do more fades and less quick cuts between clips.

YYYESSSS!!!

Look, your other stuff was good... this is very good. You know how sometimes, when you hear a tune for the first time, it just goes in a direction that kinda surprises and delights you? You're combining old things in ways that can surprise us anew. Placing fades or cuts appropriately makes the transitions as much fun as hearing the music and watching the scenes. In fact, while I'm movin' to all three of those at once, I don't seem to have enough brain cycles left over to read the text on the screen too, so I had to watch twice. (Don't worry; that's a compliment...)

Now, I belong to a group where we give speeches and evaluate one another. While we always give positive encouragement (easy one, here...) we also point out places to improve. Soooo...

Not sure if you have control over the text, or if that's hardcoded into a trailer, but text can also be brought in slowly or abruptly, depending on the music. That would be even funner...

And, as the song goes on, I find myself wishing the transitions would happen even faster. I probably wouldn't be happy if you overwhelmed me with them so you'd want to make me wait for it, but if somewhere in the last 20 seconds or so, you did a couple 2-3 second series of real quick cuts, timed to individual notes in the tune, that would make for an exciting conclusion. Since it's a really snappy song, those cuts would probably each be only 1/3 to 1/4 of a second long. A little will go a long way

Still, your older stuff was good, this is a huge improvement over that, and you still have lots and lots of places to explore.

Oh, and, I've never seen Key Largo, but now i plan to, soon...

• Thanks 1

@Wes B Sorry for the late reply!  Had a rather busy weekend.

On 4/2/2021 at 6:01 PM, Wes B said:

Look, your other stuff was good... this is very good.

Thank you so, so much!  This is really encouraging to me!

You're combining old things in ways that can surprise us anew.

I mean, yeah, this is definitely what I'm trying to do, since old films and music are what I love!  😁

Okay, I'll keep in mind your advice about the text

somewhere in the last 20 seconds or so, you did a couple 2-3 second series of real quick cuts, timed to individual notes in the tune, that would make for an exciting conclusion.

This sounds like it could be really good, if I timed it just right!  I'll see what I can do when the right song/movie pairing comes along.

I really appreciate your kind words and your helpful constructive criticism!  It's just what I need to improve my content. 

Oh, and, I've never seen Key Largo, but now i plan to, soon...

Yesssss!  Do it!  It's an amazing film, and the acting is exceptional.  I think you'd really like it!