I  am stuck with plotting out bk 3.  I have got a 3rd of way in with the end mapped out - as usual it is the middle bit that proving elusive to nail down.  My preference is to have the whole plot outline down before I write but I wondered if others have plunge in and then tackled the middle bit?

I am loath to just waste from free time doing nothing and am keen to get started on this. It is just working out the building blocks to the point when the baddie catches up with the goodies that I am struggling with. 

Do people have any methods they use to unblock the middle bit?

45 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

but I wondered if others have plunge in and then tackled the middle bit?

I believe you're a much more extensive plotter than I am, so I might not be the best person to ask... 😄 I normally have a general idea of the story and maybe the first few scenes planned before I start. I don't normally have the middle or end planned. So I'd say just start writing!

35 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

I've got say no, I've never experienced writer's block, but I vote for just going ahead and writing book 3 down.

Welp, the rest of us writers shall go retreat under rocks now.

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

I've got say no, I've never experienced writer's block, but I vote for just going ahead and writing book 3 down.

Uh-oh!  You said it.  Almost asking for writer's block.  Oh well, if you should happen to get it, look it in the eye and laugh.  Then write about the block, itself, saying, "Ha! You can't hurt me!"

• Haha 1

Have read the first part of James Scott Bell's book. And WOW. It is very helpful - especially the examples he gives..

When I thought about my previous books, I realised I had done the 'mid-point' thing without realising it.  I know other writer books do talk about it but the way Bell puts it make a lot more sense to me.

I have got to that point in this plot outline - which probably explains why I am struggling with it as I had not named the issues.  I need my m/c to take stock and reflect on where they are and what their next move is. 

Thanks EBraten.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Shamrock said:

I know other writer books do talk about it but the way Bell puts it make a lot more sense to me.

You're welcome! Yes, you're right. Other good craft books have mentioned the same midpoint moment, but his interpretation was easier for me to grasp and apply to my work.

• Like 1

Quick update - Delighted to say that I have managed to work through the 'sticky bit' and now have a 19 page draft plot outline of Book 3 Yeah!

SW you were right to suggest getting on with it (along with several others of you - thanks). with the idea of being able to go and alter Bks 1 & 2 if needed. Some minor tweaking will be needed but that all.