7 hours ago, jennifer1113 said:

Yeah, I will try random things at buffets too.  Also with sushi..i don't ask what is in it..i just try it.

I think it's just rice and meat. I envision some of them with salmon. 😄

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could go for one of those ice cream thingies on a stick, too!

And I would eat the whole tub!!!!

Oh, yes... I like brown rice, and for sushi you use the short-grained stuff, which has a lot more of the sticky starch that clumps together well. By "mostly mango and coconut" I meant additional ingre

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

With rice, too??

Oh, yes... I like brown rice, and for sushi you use the short-grained stuff, which has a lot more of the sticky starch that clumps together well. By "mostly mango and coconut" I meant additional ingredients to the rice. I once tried adding a bit of nutmeg, and I've made the rice with coconut milk, or coconut milk/pineapple juice, instead of water. All nice variations no matter how the rice gets used...

EDIT: In case anyone wanted to try this... I'd be very cautious about putting coconut milk in a rice cooker. Water boils in those things, and spattering coconut milk might easily clog the steam port and pop the top off the cooker, possibly damaging it (or worse). I can't be sure, 'cuz I've always avoided doing this. 

Because it's tough to cook brown rice in a pot on a stovetop, there are nice ways to prepare brown rice in the oven, in a covered baking dish. Alton Brown had a great recipe I've used with success... just google baked brown rice...

Edited by Wes B
  • Like 2
20 minutes ago, jennifer1113 said:

the things you learn..

My apologies, if needs be... there are the occasional subjects where i need just the teeeeeniest nudge, to get me started...

1 minute ago, Wes B said:

My apologies, if needs be... there are the occasional subjects where i need just the teeeeeniest nudge, to get me started...

Oh, no, don't apologize! We need someone to tell us things and ramble about them. Otherwise, we'd be living in a boring and ignorant society!

Edited by Ky_GirlatHeart
Removed a filler word.
2 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Oh, no, don't apologize! We need someone to tell us things and ramble about them. Otherwise, we'd be living in a boring and ignorant society!

..as long as you prefer a noisy and rambling society... here am I !!!

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Tom Scott said:

I would too, but I'd discard the fish.

2 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Wait, you kept the fish in it, @Wes B??

I seem to be causing no end of trouble, here. While fish is a reeeeeally common filling or garnish for sushi, it's not strictly mandatory, and I didn't include it, no. One thing I left out that a purist would probably object to is any vinegar, 'cuz I'm pretty sure that the name "sushi" refers more to sourness, than fishiness... My crime instead to was make 'em sweet. (Now, if I also added some of that Indian dried-powdered-green mango, it could give a sweet-and-sour tang, combined with the fresh mango, and it might remain sushi on a technicality... This seems to be "food" for thought...)

29 minutes ago, Wes B said:

seem to be causing no end of trouble, here. While fish is a reeeeeally common filling or garnish for sushi, it's not strictly mandatory, and I didn't include it, no. One thing I left out that a purist would probably object to is any vinegar, 'cuz I'm pretty sure that the name "sushi" refers more to sourness, than fishiness... My crime instead to was make 'em sweet. (Now, if I also added some of that Indian dried-powdered-green mango, it could give a sweet-and-sour tang, combined with the fresh mango, and it might remain sushi on a technicality... This seems to be "food" for thought...)

Huh, I didn't know sushi had vinegar in it.

*goes to search the Internet once more*

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Huh, I didn't know sushi had vinegar in it.

*goes to search the Internet once more*

I seem to be getting myself into more and more trouble...

I don't think you'll find vinegar in most Americanized sushi, either... II was rambling mostly about how it didn't strictly need fish, but that the name simply meant that it was sour. (Rather than relying on memory I since actually went and looked it up... the name sushi just means "sour rice". I guess the Americanized version may have left out the sour, but left in the rice.)

I think I was mostly just handwaving a reason to make a "sweet sushi" that I could still getting away with calling it sushi. But I guess that if our local version of sushi can keep only the rice and not the sour, then my mutation of it can, also...

• Like 1