On 3/30/2021 at 9:34 PM, suspensewriter said:

I'm just asking the question, @Accord64, because I don't use beta readers myself.  I'm really interested in what everyone else says to learn.

If that's the case, perhaps you should rethink the title of this topic. "Beta Readers are so Lame" is a rather definitive statement that, well, you think they're all lame... 🙄  

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First, you have to know your beta readers. If they are your mom, your aunt Bertha, and your college roommate, they will be lame and probably just tell you how great you are. So this question really be

If that's what's happening, then you're simply not doing it right.     Not familiar with the details, but it really all depends on what that fifth person said.   If you get

Clearly, you've never met my family...     😄  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

Did you find Facebook groups to have a negative impact on you?

I just spent way too much time there.  I was enjoying the cyber-discussion on a few of my pet topics when I should've been enjoying more time with my wife.

Jumping in late:

First, if your editor isn't giving as good advice as your beta readers, you need a different editor!

Second, I'm using beta readers right now but mostly just as a subversive kind of marketing for my book that is in a totally different arena from the one I've been building for years. I'm back to square one with a prophecy Bible study when I usually talk creation science! It's way easier for me to ask for 'help' on a book that doesn't cost me anything to email than to say "Buy my book!" to strangers but, if they like it, they might help me down the road.

Oh, yes, the only one I've heard back from so far hates my book because she's postmil when I'm premil, so that helped me know to be more clear on my stance in the back cover material.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Celebrianne said:

Oh, yes, the only one I've heard back from so far hates my book because she's postmil when I'm premil, so that helped me know to be more clear on my stance in the back cover material.

Oh boy, that explains a lot!