Reading a rejection message

What the message said: "your project does not appear to be a fit for us at this time, and so we will have to pass."

What I read: "Not only is your book lame, but you have a lot of nerve expecting anyone to like it. You should register your typing fingers as lethal weapons and have your manuscript hermetically sealed and dropped into the deepest part of the ocean. Then, destroy your computer and disassemble the desk on which you created this travesty."

Actually, I think I handled this quite well.

Edited by Pete B
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

It's better if you don't read more into the message, than what it actually says.   What it actually says is "at this time."

I'd interpret that to mean that you should wait a while, and then try it again.  If you want to take the waiting time to rewrite it, go ahead. 

If you'd like one or more of us to read and review your work, as it is now, let us know. 

Edited by William D'Andrea

😆😆😆

Another way of reading it is:

"Please bear with us as we take a pass on your project. Most on our staff wouldn't know a good story of it ran them over, and then backed up over them again. Your project will surely be picked up by the next agent, and go on to be a triple best-seller, with movie rights sold to a major studio, which won't even register with the brain-dead zombies who work here."  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
5 hours ago, Pete B said:

What the message said: "your project does not appear to be a fit for us at this time, and so we will have to pass."

I ran a Space Opera magazine for seven years and had a staff which took care of the easiest rejections (using a message very much like this). All this means is 'we're not picking this up at this time' without going into specifics. It's possible they only have openings for so many stories from a specific genre. It's possible their backlog is full and they don't have a need for new stories at the moment. It could be anything. I wouldn't read too much into it. I'd turn around and resubmit somewhere else and then write something fresh in the meantime.

• Like 1

Love your take Accord. 🤣 Probably far more true than. any agent will admit.

Like the others have said don't take it personally and move on.

One point - this is a very tough time to be submitting to agents/publishers. They are - like many other businesses - having a tough time. They will be focused on their bankable/best selling authors to bring the dosh in during this lean period. Picking up new authors is way low on their list. You may be best to wait till summer when things are easing out of the pandemic.

The other thing is take another look at your pitch letter and synopsis. I have redone my more time than there were disciples. But it is paying off. That last two replies resulted in a request for the MS with one putting me on their waiting list. I am still waiting for the other to reply.  

Be picky about who you approach. the bit about 

17 hours ago, Pete B said:

your project does not appear to be a fit for us at this time

May be an indication that it is not right for their book list. Look at their catalogue that will help you decide if they are the right people for you to pitch your work with.

Hope that helps.