On 3/27/2021 at 8:26 PM, Zee said:

It’s one of those things where most of the beta readers are liking the story, but there’s one who thinks it makes no sense and the characters are awful.

Tell me a little more about that one reader, Zee.  Did she like your other stories, or is this the first one she's read?

42 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Tell me a little more about that one reader, Zee.  Did she like your other stories, or is this the first one she's read?

This is the first one she’s read, but I don’t think that’s the issue, because out of ten beta readers, only three had read my work before.

This particular reader was actually super-helpful in some ways, and she helped me to fill one rather key plot hole early on, but overall, I think it just wasn’t her story.

I have now heard back from seven of my ten lucky readers, and while all have had good ideas and points for improvement, nobody else has felt that the story (for what it is) doesn’t work.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Zee said:

I have now heard back from seven of my ten lucky readers, and while all have had good ideas and points for improvement, nobody else has felt that the story (for what it is) doesn’t work.

Seven out of ten is a good ratio.

You will likely never get ten out of ten.  Someone, somewhere, won't like something, and think that the whole story is ruined because of it.

On 3/28/2021 at 12:26 AM, Zee said:

It’s one of those things where most of the beta readers are liking the story, but there’s one who thinks it makes no sense and the characters are awful.

Sorry for coming late to this and someone may have already asked this question, but has this beta reader read any of the other books in the series?  Sometimes it can disorientate a reader to read a book halfway through a series even if the book is a standalone.

Otherwise I would suggest waiting until the other readers return their feedback to  you. We always focus more on the negatives than the positives.  

• Like 1