It was a dark and stormy night

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a famous (or infamous) opening line, which I am always tempted to use.  But I am curious as to where you get your opening lines, or do you start your writing?  On those dark and story nights w

Here's something else I've noticed.  I've been a member of a Presbyterian Church for over 50 years.  When we say the Lord's Prayer we use the words, "Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors".

As of right now, I see that there are 95 replies to this topic, "It Was a Dark and Stormy Night".  This topic was started on Saturday evening, and the discussions are going off in all directions.  If

Posted Images

1 minute ago, suspensewriter said:

No, and I bet you were the first person to think of that?

Cool, thank you!  I do believe I'll go ahead and do it, as soon as I find time to get back to creative writing! 😁

• Like 2

@Grey_Skies, LDS stands for "Latter Day Saints." They are also known as Mormons.

I'm curious, what do you mean when you say you're a "fundamental Baptist?" I've heard the term, but not familiar with the difference between a fundamental Baptist and a regular, garden-variety Baptist.

Oh, and @Shamrock, a story from a Pentacostal background would be cool, too. Maybe not the extreme, snake-handling type...but then, maybe so?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Zee said:

I'm curious, what do you mean when you say you're a "fundamental Baptist?" I've heard the term, but not familiar with the difference between a fundamental Baptist and a regular, garden-variety Baptist.

@Zee Sure!  So, as a fundamental Baptist, I believe in the most fundamental doctrines found in Scripture.  Like, the basic basics, you might say.  Most importantly, a fundamental a Baptist holds strongly to the Virgin Birth and deity of Christ, His hypostatic union (all God, yet all man), the crucifixion, death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus, His ascension into Heaven, and his Second Coming.  Also, as a fundamental Baptist, as opposed to, say, one belonging to the Southern Baptist Convention (just the first example that came to mind) I believe strongly in things like the authority and accuracy of the King James Bible (probably not all fundamental Baptists do, nor is it limited to this denomination, I don't think) and separation from the world.  I also believe that homosexuality is a sin and abomination to God's institution of the family, and is condemned in His Word.  Overall, I, as a fundamental Baptist, am someone who holds to very conservative views and high standards of morality and following the Bible.

I'm sorry this got rather long-winded.  May I ask what denomination you are?

Edited by Grey_Skies
  • Like 4

@Grey_Skies, I've attended so many different kinds of churches over the years, I can't say I'm one thing more than another. I suppose I'm just a Christian. Jesus is God. He died for sinners. He rose. He's coming back, and I'm waiting. (Maybe that makes me a fundamentalist, if not necessarily a Baptist one.)

Why do you hold the King James translation of the Bible in particular in such high esteem?

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Zee said:

Just regular cycles. Around here, you’ll sometimes see them riding with their dress pants and button shirts and ties.

OK. Probably Missionaries. When I ran an IT center for a museum in Newcastle City, years ago in the northeast of England we use to get a bunch of guys coming to write emails home on a Monday morning. They dressed like that.

Gray_Skies -  It's just I am not as conservative as a Fundamental Baptist. (or conservative evangelical for that matter). so some of the more literal take FB's have on the Bible's teachings are not ones I can accept, however I totally respect the FB beliefs. God comes to us in all sorts of ways. It is one of the reasons I write what I write - I have learnt a lot from other traditions but am rooted in my own church's teachings (Anglican/Church of England (aka Protestant). 

Apologies SW - we seem to have strayed from your original question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When it comes to any religion, there are always differences.  Differences between what that religion officially teaches; what it's members think that it teaches, and what each individual member actually believes.

Personally,  “I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord. Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost; born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified dead and buried. He descended into hell. The third day He rose again from the dead. He ascended into Heaven, and sits on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from whence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
   “I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.”

I have just quoted the Apostle's Creed.  I wonder if that would be enough to make me acceptable for membership in any Christian denomination; including Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, non-denominational, etc.   

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Zee said:

Why do you hold the King James translation of the Bible in particular in such high esteem?

Yes, I've always wondered about that, too, Zee.

And what is the difference between a fundamentalist Baptist and someone belonging to the Southern Baptist convention?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

I have just quoted the Apostle's Creed.  I wonder if that would be enough to make me acceptable for membership in any Christian denomination; including Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, non-denominational, etc.   

I think so, yes, but I really don't know, William.  Anybody?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Grey_Skies said:

@suspensewriter It's so funny you made this thread!  I was just contemplating beginning a story with the line, "It was not a dark and stormy night." 

If you really want to grab peoples' attention, start with, It was a bright and sunny night...

(Maybe up above the Arctic Circle...)

Edited by Wes B
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

@William D'Andrea, I spent part of my growing-up years attending an Anglican church, and we said that creed every Sunday. In my grandmother's Catholic church, they said it as well. Beyond that, I'm also not sure.

I should certainly hope so...

• Like 1

Here's something else I've noticed.  I've been a member of a Presbyterian Church for over 50 years.  When we say the Lord's Prayer we use the words, "Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors".

In the Catholic Church they say "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us."

Does that mean that Catholic's tend to trespass, while we Presbyterians go into debt? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

From Vine’s: is used (a) literally, of that which is legally due, Rom 4:4; (b) metaphorically, of sin as a "debt," because it demands expiation, and thus payment by way of punishment, Matt 6:12.

• Like 2

I think both words have a lot of overlap, and some differences. When something as important as The Lord's Prayer is memorized over the centuries, slight shifts in word usage can cause a slight double-take. I think we're seeing attempts to update the translation to clearer meaning in more modern expression.

This part isn't the most confusing... I remember having to explain the lead us not into temptation part to kids, 'cuz it might imply that if we didn't ask, God might actually lead us there...

It's part of a much longer clause, but in modern expression, we might not parse it that way.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, lynnmosher said:

feeling pretty bad. will be off for a while. ❤️

It's okay Lynn.  Please don't write or send messages if it's causing you too much pain.  Just follow your doctor's advice.  I'm sure we're all waiting and praying patiently for your full  recovery.  In Jesus Name.  Amen. 

• Like 3