In need of some constructive criticism

Hey, my name is Asia Marie Johnson. 
I am fourteen years old, and live with my family of six in the state of Montana. We just moved here and I’m homeschooled so at the moment I’m still adjusting into the new community. I go to a large church where I serve as a leader in the children’s ministry. I also attend a highschool Bible study, and have started two other Bible study’s for junior highers which I write the lessons for. On top of that, I take online college classes, run a political platform, and am a member to world wide conservative youth movement, which offers weekly classes.
Long story short, I voluntarily have a lot on my plate. But my main focus is writing. It brings so much joy and excitement. 
I am in the process of editing my very first novel. The dream is to publish it, and then continue to write more books. 
I have been dreaming about a community like this for a while, so it’s super cool that this exists! 

As someone who’s new to all this, I’d super appreciate some constructive criticism. Only one person has read my novel, so I’m only getting advice from one source. I don’t know whether or not I have a solid plot. Whether or not my climax is legitimate. Whether or not my characters are relatable. Whether or not my story is interesting. Whether or not my writing even flows well...
Anyways, this is an incredible platform and the community seems super sweet. I can’t wait guys, thank you for this opportunity!

• Like 5

Welcome, Asia! If you're looking for kind, helpful, constructive criticism, you've come to the right place.

Once you've made ten posts elsewhere,you'll be allowed to submit work in the Critique Forum, where the friendly wolves will tear it to shreds (actually we're not that bad, I promise.)

Have fun! I'm glad you joined us.

• Like 2

Guest kiwigummy

Is there such a thing as constructive criticism? Criticism is, by definition, the act of judging or finding fault.

I'm usually more a non-fiction sort, but I found myself writing fiction. I'm not an authority on fiction, but I have opinions 🙂 

I used to write music reviews, and seemed to settle on a difference between 'constructive' and 'mean' criticism.    When many are asked why they don't like a certain type of music, their answer is, 'It sucks.'   That's not good enough.  It doesn't say WHY they don't like it.  If ya just don't know why you don't like something, the answer might be as simple as, "I'm not in the author/composer/band's target audience."  Constructive criticism offers suggested changes.  What's your genre?  (I needed to read all the comments before asking, but I did anyway.)  I might be willing to give it a shot.

And I'm here as an alternative to Facebook, which I found to be far too distracting.  I think this is a good bunch here --OK, I know, none is good but God.

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kiwigummy said:

Is there such a thing as constructive criticism? Criticism is, by definition, the act of judging or finding fault.

Finding fault can be quite constructive at times.  I recently had some pointed out to me, then I had to convince myself it was, truly fault.  That was a step toward correction.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kiwigummy said:

Constructive criticism is like helpful criticism. Kind advice about things that you did wrong. 

25 minutes ago, Paul but not THE said:

I'm usually more a non-fiction sort, but I found myself writing fiction. I'm not an authority on fiction, but I have opinions 🙂 

I used to write music reviews, and seemed to settle on a difference between 'constructive' and 'mean' criticism.    When many are asked why they don't like a certain type of music, their answer is, 'It sucks.'   That's not good enough.  It doesn't say WHY they don't like it.  If ya just don't know why you don't like something, the answer might be as simple as, "I'm not in the author/composer/band's target audience."  Constructive criticism offers suggested changes.  What's your genre?  (I needed to read all the comments before asking, but I did anyway.)  I might be willing to give it a shot.

And I'm here as an alternative to Facebook, which I found to be far too distracting.  I think this is a good bunch here --OK, I know, none is good but God.

Welcome to the forum!

Nice to meet you! That's so cool! Exactly what I'm looking for, actually. My genre is probably a science fiction thriller. (Likely because that's what I've grown up reading.) 

I also completely understand trying to escape major social media apps. I run a public platform for politics on Instagram and so often I'm tempted to delete the app. 

Thank you! So glad to be here! 

1 hour ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Hi, and welcome!! You'll be glad to know that there are plenty of other teens on here (I'm one of them 😛), but there's a majority of much wiser adults on here too.

I'd love to get to know you more as well! 😄

Same here! Thank you! So excited to get started!

10 hours ago, Zee said:

Welcome, Asia! If you're looking for kind, helpful, constructive criticism, you've come to the right place.

Once you've made ten posts elsewhere,you'll be allowed to submit work in the Critique Forum, where the friendly wolves will tear it to shreds (actually we're not that bad, I promise.)

Have fun! I'm glad you joined us.

Lol, that sounds great, thank you so much! Can't wait!

• Like 1

Welcome to our writing family, Asla. Glad you joined us. Wow! You are truly advanced for your years. Way to go! You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! 😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Hi, and welcome!! You'll be glad to know that there are plenty of other teens on here (I'm one of them 😛), but there's a majority of much wiser adults on here too.

I'd love to get to know you more as well! 😄

...lots of us not as wise as we'd like to think 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Welcome to our writing family, Asla. Glad you joined us. Wow! You are truly advanced for your years. Way to go! You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! 😃

Thank you! 🙃

On 3/16/2021 at 8:52 AM, Just_Me_ said:

Welcome!  I'm also a teen and part of a big family - are you an older, middle, or younger?  Awesome to have you here, and I wish you the best of luck with your writing!

Oldest, how about you?
Also thank you!