I have two full length novels that are available on amazon.com.  They both clearly express Christian content, and what would be called politically Conservative viewpoints.      So far, I haven't received any notification that they're no longer available.  That could be because they're both self published, which was all I could afford.  I also couldn't afford to publicize them.  This means that very few people know they're there.  That might be including amazon.com management.

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 5
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Writing about Jesus is definitely more important than writing about politics, but because it seems like everything is politics these days its only a matter of time before religion is to. Christianity

I have two full length novels that are available on amazon.com.  They both clearly express Christian content, and what would be called politically Conservative viewpoints.      So far, I haven't recei

Yes, I agree--it carries with it a certain amount of risk, but I think it's hard to make an impact without risk.  Unless, of course, you write artfully.  That goes without saying it's whatever side of

3 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Do you ever inject politics or political considerations into your writing?  For example, if you write fantasies do you construct various world views into your efforts?  Do your gospel messages try to cover such things?

Nope.

Principles, yes.  Politics no.

Principles are a set of values that define your core beliefs.  Politics is the art of playing games.

• Like 3

Yes, but there's only so long you can discuss principles without including some form of politics in it, I think.  For example, you've got to create a fantasy world, where you've just got principles, but at a certain point, your world view evolves into politics.  I think you can balance it out, though, don't you think?

• Like 2

My work has been enticing Christians further into reading the Bible, and for what I've done, getting into politics hasn't been necessary. For books in general,  I'd suppose there's a range of circumstances in which political comment might be more useful, or less so.

On one extreme, where the entire point of the book were to make a political point, it would be full steam ahead. Books like Uncle Tom's Cabin probably changed history. Dark comedies, like Network, Catch-22, and Dr. Strangelove all used entertainment as a hook, but had the ulterior motive of making a serious statement. (I'm not a fan of the bait-and-switch technique they use, but that's life...) If the point of the book were to entertain or to inform on an entirely apolitical subject, injecting politics seems like unnecessary sniping.

Many books will lie somewhere in between, bringing serious decisions. If we're focused on our readers rather than our own opinions, we'll probably avoid politics where we can, and include it where we have to. We may want to give maximum enjoyment to our readers, and inject as little of ourselves and our opinions as we need.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

How do you promote it?

So far, the only people who've read my works are other writers, who are also members of different writer's websites, such as writing.com and fanstory.com.  On fanstory.com one of them received 62 reviews, either 4 Stars "Good" or 5 Stars "Excellent".  The other one received 57 4 Stars "Good" or 5 Stars "Excellent".

The books also come with a warning about language and sexual content; I'd give them an "R" rating.  For that I have received complaints from the family members and friends who've read the books.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Wes B said:

Many books will lie somewhere in between, bringing serious decisions. If we're focused on our readers rather than our own opinions, we'll probably avoid politics where we can, and include it where we have to.

I think there's a lot truth in that @Wes B, except where we want them to make serious decisions, like making a commitment to Christ or to decide something of eternal merit.

Edited by suspensewriter
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

I think there's a lot truth in that @Wes B, except where we want them to make serious decisions, like making a commitment to Christ or decide something of eternal merit.

Sure. I think I did try to draw a distinction between points requiring a political stand, and those that don't. If we need one to lead the reader to a decision point, then that's a place where we have to.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Yes, but there's only so long you can discuss principles without including some form of politics in it, I think.  For example, you've got to create a fantasy world, where you've just got principles, but at a certain point, your world view evolves into politics.  I think you can balance it out, though, don't you think?

Principles are held individually, but all politics is external.  Politics sometimes involves compromise, persuasion, and sometimes force.  It almost requires you to identify with a group or tribe.

If there ever was an example of the difference between principles and politics, it is Jesus.  Jesus had definitive principles, explained his point of view, but never compromised, persuade, or force those principles on another (to my best recollection).  You might say Jesus was apolitical.

So as a writer, I attempt to do the same.  I put my principles into the story, weave the parable, and let the reader take from it what they will.

But let's try a thought experiment.  Let's say a core principle is that the aggressive pursuit of wealth is bad.  What is the political portion of that stated principle?

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I hate to say it, Jeff, but principles and politics are both internal with external manifestations.  I agree, though, Jesus was the perfect example of this with the example of Caesar's coin- where politics is defined as "... the art of the possible, the attainable..."

Edited by suspensewriter
3 hours ago, Rene said:

Writing about Jesus is definitely more important than writing about politics, but because it seems like everything is politics these days its only a matter of time before religion is to. Christianity has always offended some people, look at how the disciples were treated by Saul and others afterwards.  What we believe about God affects our world views and our values are different from the world's, and they don't like that. 

I would say write politely and truthfully, but don't tip toe. Jesus offended people by telling them the truth, if we share the truth we are going to offend people to. We don't write to offend people, but we do write to share the gospel and the truth that's in the Bible. If we compromise that message because we are afraid of annoying people then we may have offended God which is more dangerous than offended people.

Amen! I absolutely love that! 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Rene said:

Writing about Jesus is definitely more important than writing about politics, but because it seems like everything is politics these days its only a matter of time before religion is to.

Religion is already politics. If someone says they are a Republican, others automatically presume evangelical. If they say they are Democrats, then they are identified as liberal Protestants. If a story supports a gay character, it's again those liberal Protestants, or at least, a Democrat. If the story condemns gayness, the label goes the other way.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

...where politics is defined as "... the art of the possible, the attainable..."

I don't know where you get that.

What Jesus demonstrated was an extension of the sermon about the sparrows and the lilies.  His point was to have faith in God.  Wealth is not worth pursuing because God will give you what you need.

The coin was Cesar's.  Give it back to Cesar.   I don't see the politics in any of that.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Jeff Potts said:

Wealth is not worth pursuing because God will give you what you need.

Yes, but while we're on earth, we still have needs.  You have a job, don't you?  Won't God provide for all your needs?  Of course, but you still have to work.

You've just got to be careful distinguishing things that are of God, and things that are not.  And that is what politics is all about in its best sense, distinguishing the things that are of God from those that are not.

In its worst sense, it is all about the world of men and women.

Edited by suspensewriter
13 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

In its worst sense, it is all about the world of men and women.

I view politics as the interaction of humans. Anytime you get two of them in the same space, you have politics - tribalism, dictatorship, or democracy.

I think, SW, you are asking about large scale, group interaction. One "tribe" brushing up to another. I have a theory that humans are innately tribal, it comes from being innately relational (which comes from God). Tribalism is not bad until we decide resources are scarce, and our tribe is better than another and "deserves" the lions' share of the resources. 

My John Murphys story is the most political thing I've written so far. There are riots in it. 

Leoshine presents the blending of two political structures and I would say I used a softer approach with her story. However, people call her "dark and traumatizing" and I was taken aback, so don't trust my opinon!

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

What are they rioting for?

Robot haters against users. It's a society that is replacing humans with androids. The love interests are on opposing sides of the question.