• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nice comparison. Since the "food" served by McDonalds seems to beg to be covered in ketchup, it seems like the preferred cuisine of yer run-of-the-mill slasher...

Frank Peretti certainly did not cross the line into demonic.  I don't know what you're talking about, @HK1.    And @KR LaLonde, of course there can be Christian horror.  Frank Peretti did a really goo

Language. And people do not need to see other people "having sex" for the sake of the show. The show does not need to show those moments.

Posted Images

Guest Daniel L. Smith

As a Christian family, we stay away from horror. Satan was the angel that led God's choir before he was cast to hell. Would it be unreasonable to believe that Satan's use of media on Earth is to further saturate the mind of the Christian with darkness? Of course we all think it's harmless, because we know it's fake. However as Christians, we should be aware of the information we are taking into our brains (much like a computer). Garbage in, garbage out. Sure you can fast, and reseat your mind for Christ. But is that really an okay thing? In the Bible, no-one but those uninterested in Christ would go out of their way to be entertained. Look at ancient Greece and Rome. 

There are justifiable forms of Christian entertainment like Veggie Tales, God's Not Dead... or even those movies on PureFlix, but to reach beyond the sanctity of the peace of mind that Christianity affords thanks to Christ, just to be entertained... that's dangerous. I feel that receiving any information visually, that stimulates you mentally, over acts that are filmed to portray "realistic" harm to other people, is absolutely something to be avoiding as you grow in your faith.

Blessings,

Daniel

Edited by Daniel L. Smith
13 minutes ago, Daniel L. Smith said:

but to reach beyond the sanctity of the peace of mind that Christianity affords thanks to Christ, just to be entertained... that's dangerous.

So Christians don't deal with the horrors of the real world?  That's interesting.  It sounds like your saying we have to bubble wrap ourselves in happiness.  But I suppose it comes down to the idea of entertainment, and your ideas of what horror is.  If you're saying that horror is purely for entertainment, then there is room for argument, but there has to be something more to horror as a genre.  Dracula for example, has the moral of good overcoming evil in the name of Jesus.  Frank Peretti's novels have the moral of glorifying Christ.  I think that has to be the gold standard for the genre that is labeled horror.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Daniel L. Smith said:

As a Christian family, we stay away from horror.

I understand this. I stay away myself. My imagination is lively and horror digs in and unsettles my mind. But that's not to say there isn't a place for it, and if anyone should write it, it should be Christians. 

For some, horror is the only thing that gives them a wake-up call, a shout to wake up before they sleep-walk into Hell. I can appreciate those who work in that genre while admitting it's not something I want or need.

• Like 1
On 3/1/2021 at 8:40 PM, EClayRowe said:

Our own Suspensewriter has a wonderful series of horror stories. Most of them turn on the unintended consequences of getting what you want. 

It depends on how you are getting what you want, right? If it is at the expense of others, that is definitly wrong

Guest Daniel L. Smith
1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

So Christians don't deal with the horrors of the real world?  That's interesting.  It sounds like your saying we have to bubble wrap ourselves in happiness.  But I suppose it comes down to the idea of entertainment, and your ideas of what horror is.  If you're saying that horror is purely for entertainment, then there is room for argument, but there has to be something more to horror as a genre.  Dracula for example, has the moral of good overcoming evil in the name of Jesus.  Frank Peretti's novels have the moral of glorifying Christ.  I think that has to be the gold standard for the genre that is labeled horror.

See. I love good conversation! 🙂 Thank you. I appreciate your thoughts 

You use Dracula as an example of myth being used as an archetype for overcoming evil. But, is using a character that explicitly uses witchcraft and paganism (feeding off the blood of people was an ancient practice well-known in ancient Aztec and Incan America for example. In observation, I feel that the Bible is solid in stating that these actions (whether in fantasy or in reality) is still something that God is explicitly against. Look at the Animists in Lystra in Acts 14. Animism is known as the basic religion to all ancient tribes pre-Christianity. 

I feel that Mr. Peretti certainly has a unique point of view, but its certainly not something to rave over when you examine the more critical principles behind Christianity. Especially when you think about those leading Christians down a path of possible misleading representation...

6 minutes ago, Daniel L. Smith said:

But, is using a character that explicitly uses witchcraft and paganism (feeding off the blood of people was an ancient practice well-known in ancient Aztec and Incan America for example. In observation, I feel that the Bible is solid in stating that these actions (whether in fantasy or in reality) is still something that God is explicitly against.

Yes, that is what the characters in Dracula are fighting against!

7 minutes ago, Daniel L. Smith said:

I feel that Mr. Peretti certainly has a unique point of view, but its certainly not something to rave over when you examine the more critical principles behind Christianity.

I don't think that even he would say that you should rave over his writings, but that they are pieces to make you think, and in thinking to value the Bible and Biblical principles as a result of that.

Guest Daniel L. Smith
2 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

I don't think that even he would say that you should rave over his writings, but that they are pieces to make you think, and in thinking to value the Bible and Biblical principles as a result of that.

I guess the ultimate finale then is whether or not you personally feel that digesting graphical murder (whether internalized or visual) is appropriate for the Christians heart and soul.

2 hours ago, Daniel L. Smith said:

As a Christian family, we stay away from horror. Satan was the angel that led God's choir before he was cast to hell. Would it be unreasonable to believe that Satan's use of media on Earth is to further saturate the mind of the Christian with darkness? Of course we all think it's harmless, because we know it's fake. However as Christians, we should be aware of the information we are taking into our brains (much like a computer). Garbage in, garbage out. Sure you can fast, and reseat your mind for Christ. But is that really an okay thing? In the Bible, no-one but those uninterested in Christ would go out of their way to be entertained. Look at ancient Greece and Rome. 

There are justifiable forms of Christian entertainment like Veggie Tales, God's Not Dead... or even those movies on PureFlix, but to reach beyond the sanctity of the peace of mind that Christianity affords thanks to Christ, just to be entertained... that's dangerous. I feel that receiving any information visually, that stimulates you mentally, over acts that are filmed to portray "realistic" harm to other people, is absolutely something to be avoiding as you grow in your faith.

Blessings,

Daniel

"But those uninterested in Christ want to new entertained?" That is not true at all. Just as someone with a weapon in their hand can be disarmed, we can disarm Satan too by using his tool against him. That is why Veggie Tales exists, why God's not dead exists, and WHY I WRITE!

• Like 1
Guest Daniel L. Smith
5 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Graphical murder???  I haven't yet encountered that in Mr. Peretti's writings.

And I think there is a line to be crossed for those writers that obsess over such things.

My apologies... I was talking about the latter too. Sorry for the confusion there. Also, I appreciate your work as a Christian. I would like to emphasis that I am in no way criticizing your choice of work either. In fact, if you are bringing faith in, then I congratulate you all even more! 🙂 🙂 

I am just offering one-side of the Biblical picture that our family fundamentally (forgive the pun) lives by. Again, it's a choice that we live by... 

Blessings,

Daniel