19 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

"Why didn't the Lord also protect every child in Bethlehem?"

Does anyone reading this have an answer?

I suspect this is part of the larger question of why God allows suffering of any sort. There seem to be many answers to this:, though none that sit quite right with many who've asked. Historically, Herod the Great was not so great, but a brutal killer. He actually executed enough of his own sons that Emperor Augustus is said to have quipped that he'd rather be Herod's pig than his son. (Being Jewish, Herod would presumably have had little use for bacon & ham...)

• Like 1
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nice comparison. Since the "food" served by McDonalds seems to beg to be covered in ketchup, it seems like the preferred cuisine of yer run-of-the-mill slasher...

Frank Peretti certainly did not cross the line into demonic.  I don't know what you're talking about, @HK1.    And @KR LaLonde, of course there can be Christian horror.  Frank Peretti did a really goo

Language. And people do not need to see other people "having sex" for the sake of the show. The show does not need to show those moments.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, KR LaLonde said:

SERIOUSLY?!! 😮

I started watching The 100 on Netflix when it was first airing (or maybe a year or two after it started), but it just got so bad.

Bad as in the adult elements?  Or bad as in a swift race to the bottom as to which character in the show could possibly be more stupid?

I got partway into season 4 before I just gave up.  There were some bright spots in the show, but those were completely overshadowed by writing that stunk so bad, I can't believe they didn't Fabreeze the scripts before handing them to the actors.

Edited by Jeff Potts
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jeff Potts said:

Bad as in the adult elements? 

Language. And people do not need to see other people "having sex" for the sake of the show. The show does not need to show those moments.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Wes B said:

The movie A Thief In The Night and its sequels seemed to have fit that mold. Would they qualify as horror?

Ooh, good call. Deep cut! 

I guess it depends on how you see the Second Coming. I certainly think that qualifies as horror for non-believers (which was the point of the film iirc). The good news is this horror is avoidable. (Or perhaps I should say, The Good News, heh.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

@Zee You mentioned this, along with Flannery O'Connor, in the category of Christian horror.  I've read The 39 Steps by Buchan, and I like his style; any chance you could give me a quick rundown of the plot?  And what are some of the Flannery O'Connor stories you had in mind?  My dad has a book of her short stories in the basement, and I've read one of them, so it'd be cool if you could let me know.  Thanks! ☺️

Thanks for asking! For O'Conner, the ones that jump readily to mind (all short stories) would be Greenleaf, A Good Man is Hard to Find, Parker's Back, The Lame Shall Enter First--there are others, of course. However, now that I think about it, I wonder if they might not be better classified as "Gothic" as they do not actually contain supernatural elements.

John Buchan's Witchwood, and Charles Williams's All Hallows' Eve, on the other hand, do.

Witchwood is essentially about a young Scottish pastor who's dealing with a resurgence of witchcraft in his parish. It's set in the early 1600's, I believe. The dialect writing, which John Buchan does quite well, makes the story a little hard to follow in places, but it's worth it.

As for All Hallows' Eve...you just have to read it. It's one of those books that are really hard to classify or explain, but at the same time, are unforgettable. Let's just say, that when it opens, the main character, Hester, is already dead...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

I first developed this horror category idea as a basis for an article on my blog, and I still plan on going back and writing it at some point, with many of the points I made here.

Thanks for this. It's good to draw some distinctions, to help those of us whose image of horror may not spread broadly enough. There might even be room for a third classification, between the two you've mentioned. Your Type-A stories seem intended to explore or examine a horrific element, and may not actually intend to create a terrifying mood in the audience. Your Type-B stories tend to try to horrify to the extreme, sometimes even using gruesomeness to fill in for a weak story.

There are stories in between that are momentarily scary, like an amusement park ride. These would be anything from gothic horror, like The Fall of the House of Usher, to sci-fi'ish hauntings, like Alien. (Okay... Alien may straddle the line... I'm makin' this up as i go along... but I think there's room for a larger taxonomy, and if you're planning on writing an article, you may even find more.)

Anyway, thanks again.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

By the way, I forgot to thank you for such a thoughtful response, even though there's no such thing as Christian Horror labeled Christian Slasher category.

Slasher movies are to Horror what McDonalds is to haute cuisine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Zee said:

Thanks for asking! For O'Conner, the ones that jump readily to mind (all short stories) would be Greenleaf, A Good Man is Hard to Find, Parker's Back, The Lame Shall Enter First--there are others, of course. However, now that I think about it, I wonder if they might not be better classified as "Gothic" as they do not actually contain supernatural elements.

John Buchan's Witchwood, and Charles Williams's All Hallows' Eve, on the other hand, do.

Witchwood is essentially about a young Scottish pastor who's dealing with a resurgence of witchcraft in his parish. It's set in the early 1600's, I believe. The dialect writing, which John Buchan does quite well, makes the story a little hard to follow in places, but it's worth it.

As for All Hallows' Eve...you just have to read it. It's one of those books that are really hard to classify or explain, but at the same time, are unforgettable. Let's just say, that when it opens, the main character, Hester, is already dead...

More reading!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BKHunter said:

That's quite the comparison! 😄

2 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

What is this series the 100 on Netflix?  It sounds terrible.

Look it up? Two of the stars married afterwards.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, BKHunter said:

A nice comparison. Since the "food" served by McDonalds seems to beg to be covered in ketchup, it seems like the preferred cuisine of yer run-of-the-mill slasher...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
48 minutes ago, BKHunter said:

Now this ... this is such an apt statement.  I cannot praise the intelligence behind this statement highly enough!  Thanks for this!  👍

Edited by Grey_Skies
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

No--these are most definitely what I would class as Christian Horror.

Okay - may I ask what you mean by this, and maybe an example?  Just to help me understand where you're coming from.  ☺️

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Zee said:

A Good Man is Hard to Find,

Thanks so much, @Zee!  This is the one that I've read.  I thought it was very weird ... and maybe I didn't really understand everything she was trying to say.  Anyway, I'll give some more of O'Connor's stories a try, and now that my library is open I'll look for those others!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, SelinasBonfire said:

The only Peretti I've ever read were This Present Darkness and Piercing The Darkness. To me the whole angelic/demonic warfare was more cartoonish than anything else. The stories were interesting, but I thought Frank's writing was amateurish. I suppose he got better with time.

Well, there are Christian Death Metal groups, so Christian Horror can be a thing too. I can't write it myself, but I see ways that it can be done in the right spirit.

Yes, absolutely.

There is nothing wring with cartoony unless the whole theme was not intended to be cartoon like. I write in an anime style. The truth is still there in metaphor so people do not put the novel down right away because they feel preached to and that is something non believers hate. You had to slip it in with something they like, like hiding medication in peanut butter and giving it to a sick puppy

• Like 1
1 minute ago, suspensewriter said:

Sure, slasher films are definitely not Christian Horror.  Period.  Dexter, for example, is a slasher film, not Christian Horror.

@suspensewriter Ohh, I get what you're saying!  And I think I need to offer you a quick apology, because I think we've been miscommunicating this whole time!  The point of my post was to separate mainstream horror into two categories, neither of which was necessarily Christian.  What I was saying was, that my "classic horror" category could be used for Christian fiction, (perhaps in an allegorical manner?), but that "slasher horror" is, to my mind, definitely not good.  I completely agree with what you're saying.  So I think we're actually in agreement there!  Sorry for the misunderstanding!

• Thanks 1
Just now, Grey_Skies said:

@suspensewriter Ohh, I get what you're saying!  And I think I need to offer you a quick apology, because I think we've been miscommunicating this whole time!  The point of my post was to separate mainstream horror into two categories, neither of which was necessarily Christian.  What I was saying was, that my "classic horror" category could be used for Christian fiction, (perhaps in an allegorical manner?), but that "slasher horror" is, to my mind, definitely not good.  I completely agree with what you're saying.  So I think we're actually in agreement there!  Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Unless said "slasher" is slaying demons as a personification of putting on the armor of God and swinging the sword

• Like 2

@Wes B Thank you kindly, sir!  I'm pleased you thought my contribution to the discussion was well-thought-out.  It's a subject that has for some time interested me personally, as a huge movie buff, and so naturally one wonders what should and should not be acceptable material for a Christian to watch/read/write.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Grey_Skies said:

, and so naturally one wonders what should and should not be acceptable material for a Christian to watch/read/write.

Seems to me that for most every Christian, there's a different opinion on what is/is not acceptable. About the best we can do is give careful & prayerful consideration, make choices as best we can, and consider beforehand our polite replies whenever we meet someone more restrictive. We will find them. (Most likely, we'll probably also become them, toward someone else. Always best to remember how we would want to be treated...)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Grey_Skies said:

This is the one that I've read.  I thought it was very weird ... and maybe I didn't really understand everything she was trying to say. 

You are definitely not alone!!!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Wes B said:

Seems to me that for most every Christian, there's a different opinion on what is/is not acceptable. 

Yes.  But should you remain silent, or just adapt and fake your answer?  That's a difficult question.  The Apostle Paul says you should adapt your answers to the person your speaking to so as not to offend them, I think.  Yes, but in a forum such as this does that mean we should not give an honest opinion, to air differences openly?  I think that deserves some thought.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Yes.  But should you remain silent, or just adapt and fake your answer?  That's a difficult question.  The Apostle Paul says you should adapt your answers to the person your speaking to so as not to offend them, I think.  Yes, but in a forum such as this does that mean we should not give an honest opinion, to air differences openly?  I think that deserves some thought.

Ahhh... one thing I love about this group... we can go from McDonalds <== > Slasher into philosophical discussion in a flash of lightning, or a scream in the night...

IMHO, there's no reason why we shouldn't point out our opinions, if we're also willing to hear others out. The irony is, since we know there's a wide variety of opinion out there, the wisest of us may consider the chance we didn't pick out the exact, right one (law of averages, and all that...)

So there's room to exercise our ideas, there's room to exercise some honest questions, and there's lots & lots & lots of room to exercise humility.

SPOILER ALERT: Not saying i actually do this, though I am conscious that it occasionally happens...

• Like 3