1 minute ago, Johne said:

I tried watching Dexter back in the day,

I nearly considered the same, but all the blood shown in the previews turned me off of that.

• Like 1
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nice comparison. Since the "food" served by McDonalds seems to beg to be covered in ketchup, it seems like the preferred cuisine of yer run-of-the-mill slasher...

Frank Peretti certainly did not cross the line into demonic.  I don't know what you're talking about, @HK1.    And @KR LaLonde, of course there can be Christian horror.  Frank Peretti did a really goo

Language. And people do not need to see other people "having sex" for the sake of the show. The show does not need to show those moments.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

This has got me wondering.  Would Charles Dicken's classic "A Christmas Carol" be considered Christian Horror? 

I think this is a great call. It's genuinely unsettling and brings a character to the precipice of life-change. I think this is a great example of what it looks like and why it's vital. 

1 minute ago, KR LaLonde said:

I nearly considered the same, but all the blood shown in the previews turned me off of that.

I really wanted to watch what others were watching at the time. I've since made peace with the idea that I know when something is ok for me and when it's not. I punched out of Game of Thrones after the first episode. It wasn't for me. (I could handle the Fantasy elements and even the 'life is gritty' elements, but other elements crossed the line and I knew it and I recognized it and I set it aside. And I'm better for knowing my boundaries and staying within them. Same thing here.)

I love that Christian Horror exists. I also love not ingesting this genre personally. It's a tool I don't need or want for me.

• Like 1
Just now, suspensewriter said:

Wait--Dexter doesn't classify as horror.

SERIOUSLY?!! 😮

I started watching The 100 on Netflix when it was first airing (or maybe a year or two after it started), but it just got so bad.

1 minute ago, suspensewriter said:

And yes, it's horror.

Well now.... I'm nonplussed. I think I've only ever seen the Muppet version of it, though. Same with Treasure Island.

2 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Wait--Dexter doesn't classify as horror.

It's close enough for jazz (for me). My imagination connected the dots about what serial killers do to cross the line into Horror. It was Horror for me, and I had to abandon it.

• Like 1

OK. I'm out.

I have a book to write. Possibly more than that.

Go ahead and argue pointless debates.

Now to figure out how to stop getting alerts from here.

20 hours ago, Vessel 4 HIm said:

Horror can be a good outlet if used correctly and lovingly

Yes!  I would absolutely agree!

Ah well, looks like I'm late too, but nonetheless I would like the chance to contribute my thoughts.

Personally, I believe horror can be classified into two different categories.  (This is just me, and you do you.  If you disagree, it's not gonna be a problem with me. 😉)

Category A: Classic Horror

This deals with things mentioned here already, such as Dracula and A Christmas Carol (if you want to call it horror; I am undecided on that point).  Another that absolutely deserves to be included is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.  I've read both Dracula and Frankenstein, as well as seen countless movie adaptations, and it's my belief that the #1 quality a book or movie needs to be considered classic horror is an element of fantasy.  A monster, a curse, have what you will, fantasy has got to be there.  And that's the best kind of horror, and by a talented writer I think could be used in a Christian way.  And also, I'll be straight up honest here, I love a good horror movie sometimes.  😜

Category B: Slasher Horror

This gets a little more complicated.  I'm not, and probably never will be, a fan of the gruesome serial killer-type horror.  Like Dexter, as some of you mentioned, or even The Shining.  Never watched Dexter, never had any interest, but I've heard about it.  I tried watching The Shining with my dad one night, but became so convicted by the time I went to bed that I got down on my knees and asked God to forgive me for making a bad decision to watch an unnecessarily gruesome and foul movie.  Personally, I'm of the mind that it's not something we as Christians need to be filling our minds with, but if you feel differently, as I said earlier, by all means, you do you.

I first developed this horror category idea as a basis for an article on my blog, and I still plan on going back and writing it at some point, with many of the points I made here.

Edited by Grey_Skies
1 hour ago, Johne said:

Christian Horror strikes me like that. Unbelievers need the shot of adrenalin while Christians already have a healthy, changed heart. I don't need (or like) it myself, but I'm glad it's a tool for those who do.

This is very interesting. the Left Behind books have horrific elements; would they qualify? Admittedly, they're probably more to entertain Christians, but we could even go back a few decades, to apocalyptic stuff intended to scare nonbelievers. The movie A Thief In The Night and its sequels seemed to have fit that mold. Would they qualify as horror?

2 hours ago, Zee said:

“Witchwood,” by John Buchan

@Zee You mentioned this, along with Flannery O'Connor, in the category of Christian horror.  I've read The 39 Steps by Buchan, and I like his style; any chance you could give me a quick rundown of the plot?  And what are some of the Flannery O'Connor stories you had in mind?  My dad has a book of her short stories in the basement, and I've read one of them, so it'd be cool if you could let me know.  Thanks! ☺️

• Like 1

Here's a question about an incident mentioned in the Bible, which could be described as non-fiction horror.

According to the Gospel of Luke, Joseph was warned in a dream to take the baby Jesus and his mother Mary, and flee into Egypt, to keep them safe from Herod's wrath.  This is what they did.

After that, Herod sent soldiers to Bethlehem, where they slew all the male children, two years old and younger.  That is a true horror story.

A few years ago, during an adult Bible study at my Church, around Christmas Time, we read that passage.

I asked a question, which I'm sure has been asked ever since that incident occurred.

"Why didn't the Lord also protect every child in Bethlehem?"

Does anyone reading this have an answer?

9 minutes ago, Wes B said:

This is very interesting. the Left Behind books have horrific elements; would they qualify? Admittedly, they're probably more to entertain Christians, but we could even go back a few decades, to apocalyptic stuff intended to scare nonbelievers. The movie A Thief In The Night and its sequels seemed to have fit that mold. Would they qualify as horror?

Yes, they would definitely classify as horror.

13 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

This gets a little more complicated.  I'm not, and probably never will be, a fan of the gruesome serial killer-type horror. 

No--these are most definitely what I would class as Christian Horror.

31 minutes ago, Grey_Skies said:

Ah well, looks like I'm late too, but nonetheless I would like the chance to contribute my thoughts.

By the way, I forgot to thank you for such a thoughtful response, even though there's no such thing as Christian Horror labeled Christian Slasher category.

• Like 2