I understand that there are a whole lot more things I don't know than those I do know. And while I can often manage to visualize a concept from a vague description, I have to say that I'm really struggling to wrap my brain around this one. Would it be possible to describe a quick, thumbnail outline of a Christian horror plot? Just the quick, 4-5 sentence elevator description you'd explain to an agent you met at a writer's conference?

It doesn't have to be a good plot, and definitely not something you're working on, but just a concrete example to help me grasp the concept?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nice comparison. Since the "food" served by McDonalds seems to beg to be covered in ketchup, it seems like the preferred cuisine of yer run-of-the-mill slasher...

Frank Peretti certainly did not cross the line into demonic.  I don't know what you're talking about, @HK1.    And @KR LaLonde, of course there can be Christian horror.  Frank Peretti did a really goo

Language. And people do not need to see other people "having sex" for the sake of the show. The show does not need to show those moments.

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Wes B said:

Would it be possible to describe a quick, thumbnail outline of a Christian horror plot? Just the quick, 4-5 sentence elevator description you'd explain to an agent you met at a writer's conference?

Sure.  The novel "Dracula" would be considered an example of Christian Horror, too.

I'd like to know why they couldn't make "Christian horror" sound better. The 'Horror" genre is despicable. Anyone can place the word 'Christian' in front of anything. These days, that's equal to making it acceptable to all.

I've read the same two books mentioned earlier of Frank Perretti's. They were pretty good. I actually didn't know he writes "Christian horror" until after I read them. I wouldn't place them in the horror genre. But that's me.

Oh, I just thought of two more I really enjoyed—perhaps less well-known...”All Hallows’ Eve” by Charles Williams, and “Witchwood,” by John Buchan.

Both worth a read for those interested in the genre.

10 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

I'd like to know why they couldn't make "Christian horror" sound better. The 'Horror" genre is despicable. Anyone can place the word 'Christian' in front of anything. These days, that's equal to making it acceptable to all.

I've read the same two books mentioned earlier of Frank Perretti's. They were pretty good. I actually didn't know he writes "Christian horror" until after I read them. I wouldn't place them in the horror genre. But that's me.

I've only read Peretti's "The Wounded Spirit" but that one was excellent!  I keep thinking I oughtta read one of his fictional books.

21 minutes ago, Paul but not THE said:

I had a Christian horror experience once by way of a dream --no reason these can't be shared.

Interesting...I’ve experienced that several times—but not in recent years, for which I’m thankful.

20 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Really?  What were they about, if you don't mind me asking?

Mine, or Paul’s? 

Mine would follow the same same general progression...I’d be somewhere familiar, the demon (usually heralded by a bright light or an intense rushing noise) would appear and attack, and as I would lose consciousness, I would tell it to go away in Jesus’s name, and it would instantly be gone. Then I’d wake up. 

Interestingly, I had a somewhat similar experience in real life once—but Jesus Christ has ultimate power, both inside and outside the mind...

14 hours ago, KR LaLonde said:

How can horror be Christian? I don't see how the two can be connected.

Scott Derrickson, a film director (responsible for the wonderfully Christian The Exorcism of Emily Rose and the wonderfully scary Sinister), and himself a Christian, put it this way in an interview with Christianity Today in 2005: ‘In my opinion, the horror genre is a perfect genre for Christians to be involved with…[It’s] not about making you feel good, it is about making you face your fears. And in my experience, that’s something that a lot of Christians don’t want to do.’ Derrickson is that phenomenon Jesus-loving culture enthusiasts hope and wish for: a believing Christian working at an influential level in Hollywood. But because he works in horror, a genre that reaches far more secular audiences than the new wave of biblical epics, you have probably never heard of him.

You’ve probably never heard of filmmaker brothers Chad and Carey Hayes either. They’re also Christians and they wrote epically scary The Conjuring, a film that gives more space than you’d expect from a mainstream movie to the power of Jesus’ name in opposing the forces of evil.

https://www.premierchristianity.com/Past-Issues/2015/June-2015/Horror-the-genre-that-refuses-to-die

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, KR LaLonde said:

I think you're recoiling at something you don't understand. I'd suggest that you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Horror isn't my thing, but for many, this is the way the Holy Spirit startles unbelievers out of their rut and allows them to consider the very real horror which awaits them if they do nothing. Christian Horror is exactly what most people in this world needs - a wake-up call that they're sleepwalking into Hell.

With that said, I can't personally do Horror. It gets into my head and messes up my dreams. But I've been a believer since I was ten and don't need that particular wake-up call.

• Like 2

@JohneWhat you've said does make sense. But I'm with you in not being able to do Horror.

I remember having a nightmare after watching a Star Trek movie with some gruesome scenes in it after supper. I decided to never watch anything that might have those scenes in it afterwards.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

So, in order to reach people we become embroiled in the World?

Think of it like this - there's a scene in PULP FICTION where Mia takes bad drugs and become unconscious and only has moments to live without outside intervention. Vincent Vega takes a shot of adrenaline with a very large needle and stabs her in the heart to bring her back to life. It's a startling act but it saves her life (and, while dramatic, is more-or-less accurate). Normal people don't need this kind of extreme procedure, but when in a dire life-or-death situation, it becomes the only thing that spares a life.

Christian Horror strikes me like that. Unbelievers need the shot of adrenalin while Christians already have a healthy, changed heart. I don't need (or like) it myself, but I'm glad it's a tool for those who do.

4 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

What you've said does make sense. But I'm with you in not being able to do Horror.

Nod. I have a vivid imagination. This is good for writing novels and bad for sleeping if I ingest Horror (personally). I tried watching Dexter back in the day, and made it through most of the first season. And then I had a dream so vivid and so disturbing that I swore off it and never tried to push myself to appreciate Horror again. I know myself and I know that it messes me up. So I can appreciate it for others but I know my own limitations. I can do Suspense and Thrillers all day long, but as soon as we get into Horror, it's a hard pass for me.

• Like 1
Just now, suspensewriter said:

Who said anything about that?

That's what it sounded like to me. *shrugs*

1 minute ago, Johne said:

Christian Horror strikes me like that. Unbelievers need the shot of adrenalin while Christians already have a healthy, changed heart. I don't need (or like) it myself, but I'm glad it's a tool for those who do.

If you say so. I'm not much for the suspense and gruesomeness that accompany Horror. The name alone makes it sound like Christian Horror is a pretend thing. That's just how I feel about it.