My wife and I watched theovie Eli recently, before then though I thought about writing a horror novel based on the seven deadly sins, a warning that Sin can consume if you let it. What are your thoughts?

Horror can be a good outlet if used correctly and lovingly

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nice comparison. Since the "food" served by McDonalds seems to beg to be covered in ketchup, it seems like the preferred cuisine of yer run-of-the-mill slasher...

Frank Peretti certainly did not cross the line into demonic.  I don't know what you're talking about, @HK1.    And @KR LaLonde, of course there can be Christian horror.  Frank Peretti did a really goo

Language. And people do not need to see other people "having sex" for the sake of the show. The show does not need to show those moments.

Posted Images

Flannery O’Connor does some fine Christian Horror, as well.

And “That Hideous Strength” the last book in C.S. Lewis’s Space Trilogy, while technically Sci Fi, I think could be classified as horror, too.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Zee said:

And “That Hideous Strength” the last book in C.S. Lewis’s Space Trilogy, while technically Sci Fi, I think could be classified as horror, too.

😯😯😯 C.S. Lewis made a space trilogy, how have I not heard of this?

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

Franks Peretti seems to make a pretty good go at it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Vessel 4 HIm said:

My friend Mike Duran writes about Christian Horror frequently, and in fact wrote the book on it. Author Kevin Lucia also reads and writes Christian Horror to good effect. I think the genre in which we write isn't nearly as important as what we have to say. Of all the Marketing genres, Christian Horror has, perhaps, the best opportunity to reach across the aisle and speak to the mainstream reader.

https://www.mikeduran.com/2012/02/23/whats-the-difference-between-classic-and-contemporary-christian-horror/

23 minutes ago, Johne said:

My friend Mike Duran writes about Christian Horror frequently, and in fact wrote the book on it. Author Kevin Lucia also reads and writes Christian Horror to good effect. I think the genre in which we write isn't nearly as important as what we have to say. Of all the Marketing genres, Christian Horror has, perhaps, the best opportunity to reach across the aisle and speak to the mainstream reader.

https://www.mikeduran.com/2012/02/23/whats-the-difference-between-classic-and-contemporary-christian-horror/

😯😯😯😯😯

William Peter Blatty was having a crisis of faith when he wrote The Exorcist.  A Roman Catholic, he claims that writing the book brought him back to the Church.  I guess that would qualify as "Christian Horror."  It does deal with issues of Christianity that we rarely consider (mainly because of the dark subject matter).

Edited by Jeff Potts
  • Like 2

As usual, I'm seeing this thread late. But I'll chime in with my thoughts on the genre itself. How can horror be Christian? I don't see how the two can be connected. I never liked horror in any way, and I don't understand how calling it Christian makes it any better.

That being said.... You're the writer/author.

Frank Peretti certainly did not cross the line into demonic.  I don't know what you're talking about, @HK1.    And @KR LaLonde, of course there can be Christian horror.  Frank Peretti did a really good job with that. Besides, do you think that to be Christian you can only deal with those subjects that are sweetness and light?  What about abuse?  Should Christian writers shy away from writiing about that?

Edited by suspensewriter
  • Like 4

@suspensewriter, of course I don't assume or think that Christians only deal with the great subjects. Hardly. Far too many women have become pregnant out of wedlock for that. I'm just saying that to call it horror seems out of place.

36 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Frank Peretti certainly did not cross the line into demonic.  I don't know what you're talking about, @HK1

I'm pretty sensitive to the angel/demon type stories about spiritual warfare, so I've stayed away from Peretti. I've heard he's a good writer, though.

53 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Besides, do you think that to be Christian you can only deal with those subjects that are sweetness and light?

Definitely not! But there's a big difference between presenting evil as the horrendous thing it is and glorifying it. I've had to stop reading books because the authors started dwelling on evil just for the sake of evil. And I never want to cross that line with my writing.

• Like 1
Guest SelinasBonfire
29 minutes ago, HK1 said:

I've stayed away from Peretti. I've heard he's a good writer, though.

The only Peretti I've ever read were This Present Darkness and Piercing The Darkness. To me the whole angelic/demonic warfare was more cartoonish than anything else. The stories were interesting, but I thought Frank's writing was amateurish. I suppose he got better with time.

Well, there are Christian Death Metal groups, so Christian Horror can be a thing too. I can't write it myself, but I see ways that it can be done in the right spirit.

6 hours ago, Vessel 4 HIm said:

Yes, absolutely.

3 hours ago, KR LaLonde said:

As usual, I'm seeing this thread late. But I'll chime in with my thoughts on the genre itself. How can horror be Christian? I don't see how the two can be connected. I never liked horror in any way, and I don't understand how calling it Christian makes it any better.

That being said.... You're the writer/author.

The message is a warning. Sin can consume anyone if they let it, which only leads to death.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, HK1 said:

The little Christian horror I've seen seems like it crosses the line into demonic, and that's not something I want to read about ...

Of course not. I thought Eli was a Christian horror movie but the end surprised me. I do not lnow of you will ever see it but I guess I will tell you. The boy was not human all along, he  was actually a demon. The ending was so stupid. I thought it was a narrative about religious extremism, they performed an exorsism with him strapped down and he got angry and killed everyone with telekinetic tower.

My novel will not be demonic, the creatures are purely metephor

Edited by Vessel 4 HIm
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, HK1 said:

I'm pretty sensitive to the angel/demon type stories about spiritual warfare, so I've stayed away from Peretti. I've heard he's a good writer, though.

I have never read horror but I am sensitive to angels and demons too. I can feel when either are present in a room or building

7 hours ago, Zee said:

C.S. Lewis’s space trilogy, especially “Out of the Silent Planet,” is great.

Edited by BKHunter
  • Like 2

This has got me wondering.  Would Charles Dicken's classic "A Christmas Carol" be considered Christian Horror?  Mr. Scrooge deals with Morley's Ghost, and the Spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Future.  While that's scary, nothing really horrible happens, so would it be "Horror"? 

Edited by William D'Andrea
52 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

This has got me wondering.  Would Charles Dicken's classic "A Christmas Carol" be considered Christian Horror?  Mr. Scrooge deals with Morley's Ghost, and the Spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Future.  While that's scary, nothing really horrible happens, so would it be "Horror"? 

I don’t think so...but maybe if it were written differently...? Same story, different style/author, I mean.

• Like 1