For Anyone With A Website...

We've all got useful resources to share. Here's one that defies description:

https://www.youtube.com/c/dcpwebdesigners/videos

That said, I'll still try to describe it...

This gentleman has made literally hundreds of tutorial videos of all sorts, over the years. They'll be of high interest if you have a website, and there are wonderful gems in there, even if you don't. Among others, you'll find instruction on:

1. Microsoft Office, as well as Libre office, for those who prefer the free version...
  2. Adobe's suite of creative tools
  3. Free versions of creative tools, like GIMP to prepare your artwork, and Blender ( ! ! ! ! ! ) for fancier artwork & animations.
  4. Lots & lots of random one-time tutorials, on everything from using Power point to animate, to social media tips, to proofreading tips, to converting video to animated .gifs, and much, much more.

Don't forget that all this is free, and it represents years of work. Those years mean that some tutorials will be on outdated versions of software, so if you're brand-new to something, pay attention to the version numbers. It's all still wonderfully helpful, and even the outdated ones seem pretty easy to follow, once you're mildly comfortable with the software.

You may want to seriously read through them one by one, as there's the occasional one-off video that just doesn't fit in with anything else, but may be just what you were looking for. Save this for when you've got some time to spare, and if you've never learned to bookmark a page in your web browser, learn that first...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
On 2/27/2021 at 3:53 PM, KR LaLonde said:

But I don't remember how to download it. So I don't have it. 😕

Google Docs is nearly as feature-rich and is free. There are versions for browser or the desktop. (We use Google Docs in my editing group for collaborating on document edits.)

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Johne said:

Google Docs is nearly as feature-rich and is free. There are versions for browser or the desktop. (We use Google Docs in my editing group for collaborating on document edits.)

I've used both. I like Scrivener a lot because I can separate things out in it. Not so much in Google Docs.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

I've used both. I like Scrivener a lot because I can separate things out in it. Not so much in Google Docs.

Cool. I spend 95% of my time in Scrivener. I love it. Google Docs is where I Share the output for comment, but I spend the bulk of my time in Notion and Scrivener.

• Like 2

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy Scrivener again (updated/changed computers) or use Google Docs. I'm just not sure.

I've heard good and bad things about both.

Edited by KR LaLonde
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

So you write in a note-taking program? 😮

I use Notion as a central gathering place to arrange my thoughts and ideas so when it comes time to write in Scrivener, I'm ready.

For instance, I was researching castles and needed a place to dump a bunch of images. I could do that in Scrivener but it's not really designed for that and I don't want to enlarge the Scrivener file with extraneous images, so I dump them all into Notion. Once I have one I like, I pull the best image over into Scrivener.

image.thumb.png.cfb3a24866a51992056efc52eb952840.png 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy Scrivener again (updated/changed computers)

Once you own Scrivener you can install it on a new computer and use it there. You just need your key. I've transferred mine over a couple of times
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/windows/installing-on-additional-computers
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/macos/installing-on-additional-computers

(And if you're using Windows, I recommend the free Windows 3 Beta anyway - it's far superior to the prior release. I've been using the Windows 3 Beta since August 2019.)
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40621

4 minutes ago, Johne said:

You just need your key. I've transferred mine over a couple of times

Cool. I think I heard that before, but I forgot. (dumb memory).

Also....I don't believe I still have the key. 😞

This has happened before and I had to contact Literature & Latte to get my key again. I was told then that if the OS is the same (which it's not for my laptop) it'll be fine. I used to have an HP laptop but now it's a MAC.