Your favorite character in the bible

I don't think of the people in the Bible as "characters" but I know a lot of people do. For me, it's hard to pick a favorite because there are so many Bible stories I love. Jesus belongs at the top of the list, but I typically don't think of HIm when I think of people in the Bible that I really like. That's because I normally think of just regular folks. Joseph was awesome to be such a young man, devoted to the Lord at a young age is amazing! I love Ruth, Esther, they were so strong in their convictions and that's awesome too. You gotta love Mary the mother of our Lord and Savior. I love how discreet she was. God knew he could trust her to carry out this great mission. I love how Isaac and Rebecca first me and fell in love, but later, we see their relationship had turned sour because of the divide in their home and with their kids. I also love Samuel. He was so dedicated to God and so faithful to be obedient to His voice.  King David...so many. Like I said, hard to pick. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, ThePerilousPen said:

Jesus 😄 because he's literally perfect 

wow! Amazing

5 hours ago, ThePerilousPen said:

but Timothy is cool, too, because he was a kid (or young adult, anyway) who was really devoted to the church, and he's a great example to look up to! Definitely an inspiration

Quite true, so many of us can relate with Timothy. He is a great example to look up to 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ready Writer said:

Joseph was awesome to be such a young man, devoted to the Lord at a young age is amazing! I love Ruth, Esther, they were so strong in their convictions and that's awesome too. You gotta love Mary the mother of our Lord and Savior. I love how discreet she was. God knew he could trust her to carry out this great mission. I love how Isaac and Rebecca first me and fell in love, but later, we see their relationship had turned sour because of the divide in their home and with their kids. I also love Samuel. He was so dedicated to God and so faithful to be obedient to His voice.  King David...so many. Like I said, hard to pick. 

Amazing. Joseph, Ruth, Esther, Isaac, Rebecca, Samuel, King David and many more portrays wonderful lessons we could emulate and their mistakes are recorded for us to avoid. And yes you are right. It is really hard to pick just one.

• Like 1
Guest kiwigummy

"character" sounds like the Bible is fiction, so I will just say the person I relate to most in the Bible is.... John, because he had a sneaky way of writing about himself that made himself look good, i.e. 

John 20:3 Then Peter and the other disciple set out for the tomb. 4 The two were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. 

2 hours ago, kiwigummy said:

"character" sounds like the Bible is fiction, so I will just say the person I relate to most in the Bible is.... John, because he had a sneaky way of writing about himself that made himself look good,

forgive my choice of word (character), everyone in the scriptures are real people who lived at certain time and age. Yes, John is my favorite. I like the unique way he presented the gospel. He added more details that we cannot find in the other three gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke).

• Like 2

Aside from Jesus - who should be first in the queue.  I have a lot of time for Peter - I love the fact that he is flawed and we see his journey from a hardnose fisherman to the obedient follower of Jesus.  He gets things wrong, misunderstands Jesus and gets emotional. Great.

The other two people I admire are Noah, for having the front to argue with God about the flood and Naomi - Ruth's mother-in-law for her savviness in getting Ruth hitched.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Shamrock said:

other two people I admire are Noah, for having the front to argue with God about the flood and Naomi - Ruth's mother-in-law for her savviness in getting Ruth hitched.  

1 hour ago, Shamrock said:

queue.  I have a lot of time for Peter - I love the fact that he is flawed and we see his journey from a hardnose fisherman to the obedient follower of Jesus.  He gets things wrong, misunderstands Jesus and gets emotional. Great.

Wow! I can relate with peter too. His life mirrors my Christian life. Noah, and Noami: nice one. I like Naomi for her motherly care and counsel to Ruth.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Zee said:

one of the most fascinating people in the Bible is Joab. 

Could you please give us the chapters and verses, in which Joab is mentioned.  It seems like more than half the people in the Old Testament have names beginning with the letter J.  That often makes it hard for me to remember who is who, or what he did.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

Could you please give us the chapters and verses, in which Joab is mentioned.  It seems like more than half the people in the Old Testament have names beginning with the letter J.  That often makes it hard for me to remember who is who, or what he did.

Joab was the son of King David's sister, Zeruiah, and for a long time the commander of his army. Sorry I can't give you exact references off the top of my head, but the stories will mostly be in 2nd Samuel and Kings. He's probably most famous for ordering Absalom's death and personally assassinating Abner (the ex-commander.)

• Like 2

Yes, always Jesus first. 😉 Everyone has mentioned so many good ones. So many we can all identify with. But let me think...

*David: David always amazes me. He falls down, asks for the Lord's forgiveness, gets back up to fight, and praises the Lord! Always praising the Lord! Such a honorable goal!

*Ruth: I looooooove the book of Ruth. So full of insights if we just dig a little. I wrote an ebook on Ruth. (Actually, if anyone would like to read it, I can send it to you.) She was truly dedicated to Naomi and sought to follow her God. And her reward was to be in the lineage of Jesus.

*Abraham: I love Abraham's heart for God. Ready to go at any time and anywhere. And obey whatever the Lord commanded, even to the killing of his only, precious son. Can't even imagine that!

So many lives in that one precious Book that have affected, changed, and encouraged millions of others down through the ages. Such great legacies. And what of my own? If the Bible were still being written, would I make it into its hallowed pages? I doubt it. {sigh}

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

If the Bible were still being written, would I make it into its hallowed pages? I doubt it. {sigh}

If you were a biblical character, you might be among one of those whose suffering is recorded as a warning for all future generations.

I give all praise and thanks to the Lord, that those things aren't happening to you Lynn, and I ask that they never will.  In Jesus Name.  Amen.    

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Zee said:

From the point of view of character study, one of the most fascinating people in the Bible is Joab. But that doesn't mean I have any desire to emulate him...

I did a study on Joab. He's quite interesting. His name is roughly translated as "The LORD is my Dad." 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

If you were a biblical character, you might be among one of those whose suffering is recorded as a warning for all future generations.

I give all praise and thanks to the Lord, that those things aren't happening to you Lynn, and I ask that they never will.  In Jesus Name.  Amen.

Bless you, William! 🙂

My favoirte Biblical character, outside of Jesus, is Peter. He was  spoke too quickly that he would stand with Jesus until the end. And then denied Jesus three times in one evening. When Jesus saw him, Peter immediately felt guilty, when the cock crowed he really felt remoresful. I guess I call him my favorite because I see a lot of myself in his tempestuous way.

• Like 2

I like to think about the role of the scribes (“amanuenses”) of the New Testament writings.

Amanuenses

The above references may be debatable at some points, but much can be agreed upon.

Book/Story/Play idea for someone:   have these amanuenses gather to reminisce about their experiences (and maybe interaction?) and the personages for whom they worked

Okay, as for a person for whom a book is named after:  Peter.  I so appreciate by studying him how the Lord makes salvation a point of wholeness for the entire time we have on this earth—and that how this is both at the “Body” (and therefore being mutually supportive)  and individual level.

Edited by Ragamuffin_John
  • Like 1