1 minute ago, Wes B said:

There's a neat bible verse, where Elijah went AWOL and he wakes up to find an angel attending him, with bread cooking right on top of the hot coals of a fire. You'd want to wipe off the ash, but I guess that's how travelers had to do it. Not even any dishes to wash...

Now that's my idea of a meal!

• Haha 1
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once read a definition of introvert vs. extrovert as defined by where you get your energy. An extrovert is rejuvenated by being with other people. An introvert crawls off somewhere to find solitude

That reminds me of the time I was at a friend’s house, and some of those teeny tiny ants had got into her honey...we were having breakfast and I just ate the honey on my bread anyway, ants and all.

This is how Carl Jung defined the terms, and they're pretty much what psychologists use today. Laypeople tend to redefine them as shy vs. outgoing, but that only matches some of the time. The Myers-Br

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Now that's my idea of a meal!

How so? Having no dishes to wash, being attended to by an angel, or just having someone else do the cooking?

Edited by Wes B
22 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

Are we talking about:

A) The imaginary friends that you are writing about?

B) Real friends who won't stop talking to you long enough to get a paragraph completed. 

C) Family friends who come over and talk so loud their voice disrupts your train of thought through the closed door preventing coherent story.

D) internet friends who constantly send emails where the notifications always take front window on the computer screen breaking your train of thought and then flood your social media doing the same notifications when you don't answer right away.

Oh, zx, you nailed it! Thank you for giving us this perfect description. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wes B said:

There's a remarkable number of middle eastern flat breads, all different and all wonderful. They are all worth checking out. (There's also a wonderful Indian flat bread called naan.) In the middle eastern case, it comes from not having lots of fuel to heat an oven like we'd expect, so they'd stretch it super thin, and slap it against a hot surface to fast-cook it. There's a neat bible verse, where Elijah went AWOL and he wakes up to find an angel attending him, with bread cooking right on top of the hot coals of a fire. You'd want to wipe off the ash, but I guess that's how travelers had to do it. Not even any dishes to wash...

That type of cooking usually is a flatbread or a meal cake.  They were a fairly common traveling food all the way into the 19th Century, and maybe the 20th.

There is a channel on YouTube, called Townsends, that covers things like what soldiers ate during the Revolutionary war.  They were commonly referred to as Johnny Cakes or Ash Cakes.

And I'll stop being a nerd now...  😃

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Jeff Potts said:

That type of cooking usually is a flatbread or a meal cake.  They were a fairly common traveling food all the way into the 19th Century, and maybe the 20th.

There is a channel on YouTube, called Townsends, that covers things like what soldiers ate during the Revolutionary war.  They were commonly referred to as Johnny Cakes or Ash Cakes.

And I'll stop being a nerd now...  😃

Thanks so much for sharing that! It makes perfect sense, now that you mention it, but I'd never considered it. I've seen mentions of johnnycake, but never bothered to check out what it meant. Thanks again...

• Like 1
17 hours ago, KR LaLonde said:

I saw it on TV once: Can you believe people race to eat as many huge bugs as they can? At least some of them are covered in chocolate, but still...

Chocolate's cheating.  You can make anything taste good by smothering it in chocolate.  Lots of folks bold enough to try my samples like the unflavored stink bugs, acorn weevil grubs and field crickets better than the spiced/flavored/candied stuff.

• Confused 1
28 minutes ago, Paul but not THE said:

I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything, but now the idea's in your head and will be nagging at you --maybe wearing you down as you notice more and more references to entomophagy...  Maybe some day 😁

Nah--I'm a vegan, tried and true!

27 minutes ago, Paul but not THE said:

Chocolate's cheating.  You can make anything taste good by smothering it in chocolate. 

LOL I have a running joke with a friend. We teased years ago about broccoli, I think. Or how anything is good with chocolate on it. She teased she would eat chocolate-covered raw broccoli, so she made a video of her eating it! Still have it. Too funny! 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 2