• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once read a definition of introvert vs. extrovert as defined by where you get your energy. An extrovert is rejuvenated by being with other people. An introvert crawls off somewhere to find solitude

That reminds me of the time I was at a friend’s house, and some of those teeny tiny ants had got into her honey...we were having breakfast and I just ate the honey on my bread anyway, ants and all.

This is how Carl Jung defined the terms, and they're pretty much what psychologists use today. Laypeople tend to redefine them as shy vs. outgoing, but that only matches some of the time. The Myers-Br

Posted Images

@Wes B Interesting!

@Zee Oh my!! I remember in the Philippines that my grandmother's rice cooker would attract ants, and they'd die by being cooked inside the rice. O.O I tried scooping them out and throwing them away, but she reprimanded me and told me not to since it was their food and it couldn't be wasted.

35 minutes ago, Chris Brown said:

There are cockroach farms in China that produce 6 billion per year for use in food and medicine. 

Who puts cockroaches in medicine?! That is disgusting!!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chris Brown said:

We may already be eating more insect than we realize: https://www.vice.com/en/article/ezkeqm/meet-the-scientists-who-are-making-bread-with-cockroach-flour

There are cockroach farms in China that produce 6 billion per year for use in food and medicine. 

If you're into having everything made with "natural" food coloring, there's a beautiful bright red dye, extracted from an insect, that's approved for consumption and is used in lots of foods. I suspect that only vegans will miss out on "chowing down" on lots of bug juice...

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Like what?

One thing I found very tasty while in Scotland was the haggis. It's their national dish, and is a wonderful testament to how a determined people who were dirt-poor could survive on what we'd consider refuse, and still make it taste good because they had to. It involves ground up lamb's hearts, lungs, and such, stuffed into the stomach, and boiled. It's surprisingly tasty. I had it several times, while there on a tour.

it was on my list of things to try, and my first time, they served it to everyone at the evening meal as a side dish, all pressed into a circle, and covered in a sauce like a pâté. (I suspect that's very un-Scottish, and for the tourists, only...) A lot of folks on the tour wouldn't touch theirs, but it was great. The next morning, it was there at a breakfast buffet at the hotel, looking more like ground sausage. That was good and I had a bunch. Later, in a little shop, I found bags of potato chips (potato crisps, actually...) that were flavored with "Pepper and Haggis." I bought a few and still have one, just 'cuz it's soooo weird but cool...

• Like 3

@Wes B Huh, interesting! The closest thing to ground up lamb organs is a ground up bunch of organ meats (liver, heart, all of those lovely functions, but I'm not sure which animal they came from), but those were pretty good. What you described sounds a bit gross, but it's probably better than what I'd think it is! 😄

Edited by Ky_GirlatHeart
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

@Wes B Huh, interesting! The closest thing to ground up lamb organs is a ground up bunch of organ meats (liver, heart, all of those lovely functions, but I'm not sure which animal they came from), but those were pretty good. What you described sounds a bit gross, but it's probably better than what I'd think it is! 😄

What you're describing doesn't sound all that different. I agree it sounds a bit gross, but after having eaten Chicken McNuggets in years past, I think I'm prepared. (At least we know what goes into haggis... McNuggets are like... particle board!)

interestingly, one thing I do not eat is something my wife's family adores. They're all Lebanese, and they have a "delicacy" called kibbeh nayeh, which is basically raw ground lamb meat, mixed with various things that flavor it; sort of like eating a raw sausage. Now, I'm happy with most middle eastern dishes (which in my case would be mandatory anyway), but I draw the line at raw lamb. There is a cooked version of kibbeh, shaped like a little football (the size you get from squeezing a wad of the raw stuff in your hand) and stuffed with pine nuts. Those things are great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, KR LaLonde said:

I've heard that some insects/bugs have nutritional value. I wouldn't be caught dead eating them, though. At least not on purpose. I was riding my bike and a bee nearly got in my mouth!

Outta check out what the FDA allows in our food.  It'll show you eat insects anyway so why not on purpose? :)

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Just now, Paul but not THE said:

Outta check out what the FDA allows in our food.  It'll show you eat insects anyway so why not on purpose? 🙂

There you are! We had to start the bug discussion without you, but can't wait to hear what you have to add!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Raw lamb???   Man, now that just doesn't sound that tasty to me.  But I guess if you've grown up eating it...

That's my guess. It's often formed into a pretty shape on a large plate, all glistening with olive oil, and they pick little globs out of it with this not-quite-paper-thin flatbread. The bread is good... Don't tell anyone i said so, but coated in tomato sauce & mozzarella, the bread makes a dynamite skinny pizza...

I promise never to make any with bugs on it...

..or peat...

Edited by Wes B
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Now the bread does sound good, especially coated in tomato sauce and mozzarella!

There's a remarkable number of middle eastern flat breads, all different and all wonderful. They are all worth checking out. (There's also a wonderful Indian flat bread called naan.) In the middle eastern case, it comes from not having lots of fuel to heat an oven like we'd expect, so they'd stretch it super thin, and slap it against a hot surface to fast-cook it. There's a neat bible verse, where Elijah went AWOL and he wakes up to find an angel attending him, with bread cooking right on top of the hot coals of a fire. You'd want to wipe off the ash, but I guess that's how travelers had to do it. Not even any dishes to wash...

• Like 2