• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once read a definition of introvert vs. extrovert as defined by where you get your energy. An extrovert is rejuvenated by being with other people. An introvert crawls off somewhere to find solitude

That reminds me of the time I was at a friend’s house, and some of those teeny tiny ants had got into her honey...we were having breakfast and I just ate the honey on my bread anyway, ants and all.

This is how Carl Jung defined the terms, and they're pretty much what psychologists use today. Laypeople tend to redefine them as shy vs. outgoing, but that only matches some of the time. The Myers-Br

Posted Images

As a kid, I guess I'd've been described as a loner.  One of my dreads was public speaking, and here as an adult, I find myself giving public presentations on wild edibles and edible insects.  I dropped Facebook because I tended to get way too social and it was too distracting.  I tend to stay occupied/entertained either alone or with others.  I like people!

I had a huge group of friends, but too few I could really call close.

Edited by Paul but not THE
re-read of OP
  • Like 2

I would try edible insects just to say that I tried them.

Somehow, I think flavored crickets would taste good if they are crunchy like chips. 😄 (And somehow this is coming from a person who gave up broccoli at the age of four or five.)

• Like 1
On 2/25/2021 at 10:43 AM, Zee said:

Also,  I'm often not alone when I'm writing. Sometimes I'm carrying on a conversation at the same time (this is known as being a parent of small children.)

Multi-tasking is a wonderful skill to have (naturally or not). 😄

• Like 1

If one were to spend a lot of time outdoors, way far away from any other people, (maybe even way far away from the nearest Starbucks... 😄) the insect stuff might be an important skill to have.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

I would try edible insects just to say that I tried them.

Somehow, I think flavored crickets would taste good if they are crunchy like chips. 😄 (And somehow this is coming from a person who gave up broccoli at the age of four or five.)

Here I'm speaking as the Bible history nerd...

Crickets, locusts, and grasshoppers were allowable food for the Jewish people, and they tended to be toasted (crunchy), ground up, and added to their higher quality breads. They didn't know anything about proteins back then, but these little hoppy-things were a rich source, and most people were way too dirt-poor to afford meat, except on special occasions, like Passover...

I don't think we know exactly how they toasted 'em -- there was no reason to document their day to day details -- but in modern times in that part of the world, they string 'em on thin sticks, and toast them over coals, like a kabob.

• Like 2
On 2/25/2021 at 10:43 AM, Johne said:

Author John Gardner described himself as 'a gregarious loner.'

That's me to a T. I love to talk to everyone I meet, but I have only a few friends. When I am not doing my "real job" of writing computer software, I am either writing or goofing off at home (computer games and movies, mostly).

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Ooh, yech!

Well, Ky_G seems to be made of fairly tough stuff... While I wouldn't eat them just to say I tried 'em, I would eat 'em if they were local food in a place I'd traveled to. I'm I'm all for "experiencing a place" when I travel there, and I have eaten things you could not buy for human consumption in this country...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Well... I don't know.  I just can't get into insects.  I say leave the alone if they leave me alone!

There you have it, then! They never leave me alone... You may yet talk me into it...

• Like 1
On 2/25/2021 at 10:15 AM, kiwigummy said:

Mos def, someone who would be alone in a crowded room.

I am pretty much the same way. I keep to myself, usually. But I also like to join a few friends in worshipping God and/or having a good time.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Wes B said:

There you have it, then! They never leave me alone... You may yet talk me into it...

We may already be eating more insect than we realize: https://www.vice.com/en/article/ezkeqm/meet-the-scientists-who-are-making-bread-with-cockroach-flour

There are cockroach farms in China that produce 6 billion per year for use in food and medicine. 

• Like 2

That reminds me of the time I was at a friend’s house, and some of those teeny tiny ants had got into her honey...we were having breakfast and I just ate the honey on my bread anyway, ants and all.

Later, my friend told be she caught her daughter outside picking ants off the ground and eating them...when she asked her what in the world she was doing, the little girl just gave her a funny look said, “This is what they do in America.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I've heard that some insects/bugs have nutritional value. I wouldn't be caught dead eating them, though. At least not on purpose. I was riding my bike and a bee nearly got in my mouth!

• Like 2