Writing is a solitary craft, so would you describe yourself as someone who sticks pretty much to yourself, or are you an extrovert that only dabbles in writing?  Is your circle of friends a small one, tight knit, or a large one with many not so close friends?

• Like 3
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once read a definition of introvert vs. extrovert as defined by where you get your energy. An extrovert is rejuvenated by being with other people. An introvert crawls off somewhere to find solitude

That reminds me of the time I was at a friend’s house, and some of those teeny tiny ants had got into her honey...we were having breakfast and I just ate the honey on my bread anyway, ants and all.

This is how Carl Jung defined the terms, and they're pretty much what psychologists use today. Laypeople tend to redefine them as shy vs. outgoing, but that only matches some of the time. The Myers-Br

Posted Images

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

Writing is a solitary craft, so would you describe yourself as someone who sticks pretty much to yourself, or are you an extrovert that only dabbles in writing?  Is your circle of friends a small one, tight knit, or a large one with many not so close friends?

Author John Gardner described himself as 'a gregarious loner.' That's me, Ambivert all the way.

My RealLife circle of friends is small and tight-knit. My online circles are wide and varied and somewhat shallow with an emphasis on writing friends.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm an extrovert, according to the personality test I was given several years back. I love being around people, and I know tons of people...but I also like writing. But honestly, writing feels like a communal exercise to me, the give-and-take of sharing stories and feedback.

Also,  I'm often not alone when I'm writing. Sometimes I'm carrying on a conversation at the same time (this is known as being a parent of small children.)

• Like 4

Introvert. However, after living with an extrovert, the lines are blurred somewhat! 😉 After being cabined (a Lynnism) for 21 years with illness, I have no more friends. Except for some beautiful and wonderful e-friends.

Reminds me of the line I love from You've Got Mail

image.png.16e0fdad2b8f727ad9a597427b876f96.png

• Like 5

About as extroverted as they come. Although I’m a little quieter around new people. A lot of my friends and family are out of state but I keep in touch. I have some online friends and my sisters and other family, and, well, I get by. 😉

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Johne said:

Author John Gardner described himself as 'a gregarious loner.' That's me, Ambivert all the way.

I think this describes me too.  I had to Google "ambivert" just now, and the description I found sounds a lot like me.  I always knew I had the qualities of both introvert and extrovert, but never knew till now that there was a word for it!  Thanks! 😁

• Like 4

I think I'm both.. I don't know. Lol! I can talk to people and socialize with my closest friends, but sometimes I'd rather be quiet around those I don't know and just observe them. That being said, trying to stay quiet at times is hard!

Writing's just my thing. It's always been. 😄

• Like 3
4 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

so would you describe yourself as someone who sticks pretty much to yourself, or are you an extrovert that only dabbles in writing?  Is your circle of friends a small one, tight knit, or a large one with many not so close friends?

I'm definitely an introvert. 😄

• Like 2
Guest SelinasBonfire
3 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

I am a lone wolf whose only friends are his wife, kids, and (of course) Christ.

I'm about as solitary as they come.

I think I got you beat. I'm a social-anxiety-ridden introvert with no close family or (earthly) friends. But I'm also about as lonely as they come. So, you got me beat hands down. (Not that it's a contest to see who is more solitary, I hope!)

I once read a definition of introvert vs. extrovert as defined by where you get your energy. An extrovert is rejuvenated by being with other people. An introvert crawls off somewhere to find solitude to regain energy.

Six classes of nearly 30 high school students each definitely sent me home to my recliner (and my cat).

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
10 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

I once read a definition of introvert vs. extrovert as defined by where you get your energy.

And this is where the John Gardner quote gets me - I spend half my work day interacting with Subject Matter Experts and half my day behind good headphones locked away from the world. I really do have the perfect occupation to match my personality.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

I once read a definition of introvert vs. extrovert as defined by where you get your energy. An extrovert is rejuvenated by being with other people. An introvert crawls off somewhere to find solitude to regain energy.

This is how Carl Jung defined the terms, and they're pretty much what psychologists use today. Laypeople tend to redefine them as shy vs. outgoing, but that only matches some of the time. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (which is based on Jung's philosophy) correctly classifies me as an introvert. I am not shy.

Yet, while I can greatly enjoy interacting with people, or even giving a speech or teaching a seminar to a large group, I will eventually need quiet time, to "decompress". An extravert could go right out and do it all again. The extravert is energized by it; I expend energy doing it. Even some fun things can take a lot of energy, like an exhilarating hike up a mountain trail. I'll do that on occasion. That's all.

So, while I could readily handle a half day of running a seminar/group interaction, and might handle a full day at it, i would absolutely stink at doing it as a profession. It would drain me dry. Many introverts can handle people just fine... some of the time...

• Like 6

According to MBTI I'm very extroverted, and as Wes B was saying based on the true definition of the term that's definitely true. According to Enneagrams I'm a type 8, which matches some other tests I had to take long ago (Ruby? Lion?), and based on the materials I've read that is definitely me. A couple of years ago an Army Colonel described me as a kick-the-door-in kind of guy. 

Despite all that I really enjoy sitting here and writing too, even when those small children keep interrupting me. 🙂

• Like 1
On 2/25/2021 at 9:33 AM, suspensewriter said:

I don't actually think I'm either or; it depends on the situation. I enjoy my own company but can equally be the life of the party... and, I don't necessarily need quiet time to write. 🤷‍♀️ 

Friends? Who are they? 😂. I'm joking. I'd say I have a circle of close knit friends.

• Like 2
On 2/25/2021 at 6:33 AM, suspensewriter said:

Are we talking about:

A) The imaginary friends that you are writing about?

B) Real friends who won't stop talking to you long enough to get a paragraph completed. 

C) Family friends who come over and talk so loud their voice disrupts your train of thought through the closed door preventing coherent story.

D) internet friends who constantly send emails where the notifications always take front window on the computer screen breaking your train of thought and then flood your social media doing the same notifications when you don't answer right away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting question SW.

Like @Kazaza  I an be a bit of both. Although I would veer on the introvert side. For example as a vicar I can confidently and (hopefully) competently lead large worship services or meetings or gatherings.  But I am not comfortable at parties or social crowded places.  

Because I have moved around so much with the church most of my long-standing friends and family live elsewhere so I do find I spend a lot of time on my own - have to say writing does help but I do try to make the effort to do activities that will bring me into contact with other poeple. Social skills are like muscles - if you don't use them they get weak.

• Like 2