Which mansion name  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which one

• Innocence Hall
    • Tyrant Hall

Which name do you like better for the mansion of an elderly emotionally abusive aunt in 1840s Boston? Or do you have a better idea? Something similar to Tyrant but different?

Edited by Sarah Daffy
25 minutes ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Which name do you like better for the mansion of an elderly emotionally abusive aunt in 1840s Boston? Or do you have a better idea? Something similar to Tyrant but different?

My sister voted for Tyrant Hall, too so you can count it as two votes 😜 

• Thanks 1

Tyrant Hall may be a little on the nose, but I like the concept of it. Very Dickensian. 

What about a name that's a play on the idea of "entrapment", since that is what emotional abuse often does? Trammel, fetter, tether, etc. 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, PenName said:

What about a name that's a play on the idea of "entrapment", since that is what emotional abuse often does? Trammel, fetter, tether, etc.

Conspiracy Hall, Deception Hall, Scheming Hall, Ambush Hall, Stratagem Hall, Treachery Hall, Peril Hall, Oppression Hall, Siren Hall, Ransom Hall, Duress Hall?

(and yes, I went through my list of synonyms XD)

Edited by Sarah Daffy

In line with my usual quirkiness, I would be far, far, far more intrigued by "Innocence Hall," because of the contrast.

Pretty-much everyone is the hero in the story of their own life as told by themselves. I don't see someone who's abusive in any way as recognizing that fault when they look in the mirror. Now, I don't know your character or your story, but it's usually only the caricature of a villain who wakes up wondering how they'll be evil today. Everyone else sees perfect reason for everything they do. I think that in a story, the evil person who does not see their evil is all the more interesting for it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What about Charity Hall? It sounds like a name an old-fashioned hall or manor could conceivably have, back in the day, but also (unfortunately) carries an overtone of condensation and “forced” benevolence.

i just cannot picture anyone actually calling their place “Tyrant Hall.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @Wes B and @Zee. Plus, it would be far more chilling for me if the home had a name that stands for the opposite of what it actually represents. So, I'd go for Charity Hall, like Zee suggests, or Mercy House, Joy Estate, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, EBraten said:

So, I'd go for Charity Hall, like Zee suggests, or Mercy House, Joy Estate, etc.

Might be worthwhile to google the names, if using something that doesn't end in "Hall". There are too many real organizations that use them, and may create a sour impression to a reader who already recognizes one. The name Mercy House is particularly widespread. If you pick a name that's trademarked, it might cause even bigger troubles.

I'm guessing that ending in "Hall" sounds particularly archaic that it isn't used much in modern naming...

• Thanks 1

I agree with Wes. Halls are named by the people who own them, and it is very unlikely that anyone would use either name for their mansion. I understand that you're trying to name it something that describes what is going on in it, but the probability is that the hall was named before the aunt took it over. I'm not sure how you would do it, but perhaps some research would bring up names of such places in that time frame. That would give you an idea of the logic behind them.

What your characters might call it would be different, of course.

Edited by carolinamtne
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

What your characters might call it would be different, of course.

Now there's a really interesting thought. It might be useful to find a name that the other characters might easily be able to twist into something more appropriate. Just going on what we have, they might call it "Lost Innocence Hall."

I like naming it something that's the opposite of what it really is, not only because of the irony, but because it makes it more forbidding. In Orwell's 1984, the building called The Ministry of Truth is particularly forbidding, because it's the place where the actual truth is doctored and modified, into something more convenient to The Party...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1