Since there's been much discussion on characters, I thought I'd add this thought.

I used to watch Agatha Christie's Poirot on PBS but they discontinued it a few years ago. I've missed it. However, I recently found it on Youtube (not Youtube TV) on my Roku through a search for Agatha Christie movies. Searching this way is essential to finding the movies. (Could probably be viewed on regular Youtube online. Haven't tried it.)

Christie presents some wonderfully detailed characters, especially Poirot. He is a study all to himself. All kinds of little quirks. This is just a thought in case anyone would like to not only do a character study but also watch some great mystery movies. 😃

• Like 1

Thanks for this. They are wonderful. I've always been particularly amazed by David Suchet's performance as Poirot. He captured the essence of the character exactly as Cristie wrote him, and I now cannot read a Poirot story without visualizing Suchet. This is amazing, because i 'd read Poirot stories before Suchet played him, and in my own imagination, I created a far inferior Poirot. This is one of those rare cases where the "movie" greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the books.

What's really funny is watching David Suchet in an interview. He doesn't have a trace of a French Belgian accent; he speaks as "proper British" as the queen...

Ah yes, anything by Agatha Christie is usually pretty amazing.  Poirot is great, though I've only read one novel which features him (the final one), and several short stories.  Her stand alone novels, the ones which do not feature any recurring characters, are the ones which have astounded me.  And Then There Were None is excellent, and one of the scariest things I've ever read, and Crooked House was intriguing as well - starts out kinda slow, but the pay-off is at the end, and totally worth it.  The Queen of Mystery is one of my all-time favorite authors.

1 minute ago, kiwigummy said:

Hercules Poirot is too advanced for me. I watched the film Murder on the Orient Express on the plane. Too many characters to keep track of. The novel would be too hard ahahaha

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3402236/

I'd suggest trying another Poirot story. Most will not have such a huge number of characters. Now, I don't want to spoil anything, 'cuz that's such a unique story and worthwhile for others to read. I'll just point out that the crazy-imaginative plot of that mystery simply gets better when there are a huge number of suspects, all of whom have ample reason to commit the murder.

Just read a short story, or even check out one of the YouTube vids that Lynn suggested. I think your outlook will change, remarkably...

2 hours ago, Wes B said:

David Suchet's performance as Poirot. He captured the essence of the character exactly as Cristie wrote him, and I now cannot read a Poirot story without visualizing Suchet.

Oh, indeed he does. He is excellent as Poirot. No one else could do such an excellent job! 😉

2 hours ago, Wes B said:

This is one of those rare cases where the "movie" greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the books.

Oh, I love the movies because you can catch all the little idiosyncrasies that are difficult to do in a book. And I loooove his "little gray cells"! LOL

2 hours ago, Wes B said:

What's really funny is watching David Suchet in an interview. He doesn't have a trace of a French Belgian accent; he speaks as "proper British" as the queen...

Yes! I watched a clip just the other day. Proper British all the way. I've seen pictures of him in stage plays where he's all decked out with glasses, wig, etc., and you woulld never know it was the same person. So good! 😄

1 hour ago, kiwigummy said:

Hercules Poirot is too advanced for me. I watched the film Murder on the Orient Express on the plane. Too many characters to keep track of. The novel would be too hard ahahaha

As Wes suggested, try another story/movie. They are soooo good! 😉

1 hour ago, Grey_Skies said:

And Then There Were None is excellent, and one of the scariest things I've ever read, and Crooked House was intriguing as well - starts out kinda slow, but the pay-off is at the end, and totally worth it.  The Queen of Mystery is one of my all-time favorite authors.

Love TTWN! Excellent! I saw the movie Crooked House. It is slow but that makes it more intriguing, I think. Another great one! And I love the Miss Marple series. Though some of the actresses that have portrayed her were not my favorites.

Agatha rocks! 😄

• Like 1
Guest kiwigummy
5 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

As Wes suggested, try another story/movie. They are soooo good! 😉

I think the hardest thing is to write a character who is smarter than you...

I actually just finished reading Murder on the Orient Express, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, there are a lot of characters, but the author does a brilliant job of vividly sketching each one in just a few lines--I didn't have a problem telling them apart.

You know, as a side note, I read somewhere that Agatha Christie supposedly hated writing Poirot mainly because of his fastidious and idiosyncratic nature.  She was always closer to Miss Marple.

Supposedly, the same goes for Robert E. Howard and Solomon Kane.