Have you ever been to the principal's office?

Wish I could help but the only time I've been there was when a) one principal ate lunch with me and a couple of classmates (she was actually really nice) and b) when my art teacher gave us a back office tour showing us where to hang some of our art in the hallways. 😂  I've been wanting to know the same thing about detention though! 😂

You do understand, right, that it's reeeeeeeallly easy to find out what detention is like...

But presuming you'd like to avoid that, you can always consult a teacher, explain you're a writer, and would like to sit in on a detention session, just for the experience. Be sure to do this only if they're sitting down, and be prepared to wait until the teacher regains consciousness...

I'm sure they can find some way to help you out, and afterwards, the teacher will have a great story to tell all the other teachers. Instead of beginning with Once upon a time, it'll begin with, You're not gonna believe this, but...

57 minutes ago, ThePerilousPen said:

Sorry to ask such a random question, but I need to know what it's like. For that matter, if anyone knows what detention is like, that would be amazing XD thanks! and feel free to share any funny stories of weird things you did that got you in trouble 😜 

You homeschooled?

Speaking as a teacher, it's usually "sit here and do work quietly for a period or so".

If the teacher in charge isn't strict, or is underconfident, detention could devolve into something resembling the monkey enclosure at the local zoo.

If the teacher is holding to the rules, but isn't watchful (more interested in their cell phones), the detainees will usually stay quiet (sleep, looking at their cell under the desk, or the like) but not get any work done. The goal is not to be noticed.  

Some kids hate detention. Either they get in trouble at home for what happens at school, or they hate being isolated from their friends.

And then some just don't care. Detention does nothing to adjust their thoughts. Some even see it as a challenge to cause some covert mischief.

Edited by RockyMtn Gal
51 minutes ago, RockyMtn Gal said:

You homeschooled?

Speaking as a teacher, it's usually "sit here and do work quietly for a period or so".

If the teacher in charge isn't strict, or is underconfident, detention could devolve into something resembling the monkey enclosure at the local zoo.

If the teacher is holding to the rules, but isn't watchful (more interested in their cell phones), the detainees will usually stay quiet (sleep, looking at their cell under the desk, or the like) but not get any work done. The goal is not to be noticed.  

Some kids hate detention. Either they get in trouble at home for what happens at school, or they hate being isolated from their friends.

And then some just don't care. Detention does nothing to adjust their thoughts. Some even see it as a challenge to cause some covert mischief.

oh yeah I'm homeschooled. I don't even know who the principal of my local middle school is XD 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Wes B said:

You do understand, right, that it's reeeeeeeallly easy to find out what detention is like...

Oh believe me, if I could, I would. But I'm homeschooled so I can't XD 

1 hour ago, Wes B said:

But presuming you'd like to avoid that, you can always consult a teacher, explain you're a writer, and would like to sit in on a detention session, just for the experience. Be sure to do this only if they're sitting down, and be prepared to wait until the teacher regains consciousness...

HAHAHA that's such a good idea! and I think I might be able to do that 😄 thanks for the idea!!

Okay, I admit it. 😆 I was sent to the principal's office once and lost track of how many times I had detention. But that was a long time ago (I'm in my 40's now) so it's probably a lot different these days.

In my defense, it wasn't for anything too serious. Mostly talking in class or passing notes or not turning in homework. But the schools were a lot more strict back then.

• Like 1

Where I went to high school, I was never called into the Principal's office, but the Guidance Councilor spoke to me often.   

I remember getting detention for not handing in my homework.  What I remember about it, was that I was required to sit at a desk in a classroom for about an hour after classes were dismissed.  I didn't feel at all intimidated.  I just wrote my homework assignment.  After that I took the late bus home.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, William D'Andrea said:

Where I went to high school, I was never called into the Principal's office, but the Guidance Councilor spoke to me often.   

I remember getting detention for not handing in my homework.  What I remember about it, was that I was required to sit at a desk in a classroom for about an hour after classes were dismissed.  I didn't feel at all intimidated.  I just wrote my homework assignment.  After that I took the late bus home.

ahh thank you so much!! and GUIDANCE COUNSELOR EXPERIENCE IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEED!! :DD I know it's sort of like asking about therapy but can you give me any idea of what it's like? 

I

2 hours ago, jonjovi said:

My one time trip to the principal's office was not that interesting. I was called in because I had been late to school too many times. My parent drove me so I had little control in the matter. 

don't worry, I can still use this! thanks 😄 

I was sent to the principal's office in third grade. This boy had been bugging me and my friends for about a year. Funny thing was, he moved to the area, was nice for a while, and then just flipped a switch and started being a pill.

After a year I got fed up and put sand in his hair. He told on me instantly. Couldn't take what he gave, I guess. 😜

No detention though, too young! I have very strong memories of a serious conversation with the principal, however. I ended up having to sweep sand during one recess. 

That said, my mom said that the principal called her later to explain what happened, and that he couldn't stop laughing. 😂

Not sure if that was helpful! 

Edited by PenName
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
Just now, Sarah Daffy said:

Oh my! How did that happen?

He was just sitting next to me during PE, on the wall of the sandbox where the whole class was sitting. He was being a pill as he always was (he was saying something, I don't remember what). And that was that. One year was too much. Sand time. 😂

• Haha 4