Indie Author's Creative Nonfiction/Realistic Fiction Book Series

Guest kiwigummy

Guest kiwigummy

I want to plug an acquaintance's novel.

La Monique Mac is a faithful indie author who lives in Alabama. I talked to her in another author's Discord channel. Her novel based on her real life is called Poor Little Mixed Girl. This novel blurs the lines of fiction and nonfiction. It takes place in 1970s Michigan, in a medium sized city called Saginaw. LaMonica Powers is being raised by her strict adoptive mother. Some might call this an #ownvoice novel, but I read it more as a memoir of a childhood growing up biracial. Not that society judged her differently, per se, but the way she felt inside her skin as not belonging to any in-group felt very real. It definitely breaks your heart, then shatters it, then atomizes it because you think that the LaMonica in the novel is the child version of the author LaMonique Mac. They are probably very similar, to be sure. The author told me she had visceral memories of what happened to her as she was writing the novel, but the Lord called her to do it, and she followed through.

Poor Little Mixed Girl is part 1 of a 3-book series. I read it in two sittings in which the character started at age 10 and ended at 17-ish. It's a raw emotional journey that kept me scrolling on my Kindle reader. She recently sold all the print copies to an indie bookstore, and I want to say congratulations to her. Hopefully, my positive review helped somewhat, and we can all support the indie authors we want to see succeed.

I should note, that LaMonica in the novel does some high-risk things that might be triggering to some audiences. Reader Discretion is Advised. The next part after age 17 is coming out in March, I think.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FF2XYF6?ref_=dbs_m_mng_rwt_calw_tkin_0&storeType=ebooks

Guest kiwigummy
1 hour ago, jonjovi said:

It looks like it is well reviewed on Amazon.

Yeah, I reviewed it. It was surprisingly good. And I don’t mean for a self-published work. I mean, for books in general.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.