A Puzzle: What's really unusual about this passage?

Hint: this was written in the 1930's, and the wording style is kinda' typical of  the times. Wording style isn't exactly what we're looking for here, though looking carefully at the words might help...

----- Passage begins

Widow Adams was sitting up again, for it was way past midnight, and Virginia was out. Many months ago, Virginia was also out, and was brought back unconscious. So now Nina was again sitting up, for Virginia was not a night-owl sort of a girl. Finally, around two o'clock, Nina couldn't stand it and had to call in a passing patrolman.

------ Finish

ANSWER: This passage is from the 1939 novel Gadsby, by Ernest Vincent Wright. (The d in the title is not a typo...) The passage you see above, as well as the rest of the 50,000 word novel it's taken from, was written without any use whatsoever of the letter 'e'. For those who find this a little hard to believe, the novel is in the public domain and can be found to download with a little help from google. (archive.org is one good source, and is a resource so huge and fascinating you may well enter, never to be seen again. You have been warned...)

Yes, it's a startling thing to do, yes, it's an insane job to take on without even the use of a computer, no, I have no Idea why anyone would put in that kind of effort...

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, quietspirit said:

I find this interesting. The unused vowel is the most used vowel in the English language. I could not spell my name without using four of them, six if I include my middle name.

My full name contains 27 letters, is pronounced in 11 syllables, and has almost all the high-scoring scrabble letters (including two z's...), yet doesn't contain a single 't', which is the most common of all consonants.

As one of life's ironies, I'll occasionally have people trying to add the 't', by pronouncing my first name, "West"...

• Like 1