Fireplace is lit, got all the vehicles started (except tractor --not gonna push my luck) and even my writer's block has lifted some.  My protagonist has started her day and is almost to town for her first shift at the hardware store. She was met at the outskirts of town by a couple of the local boys who are riding their bikes with her as she walks in to town.  They think she's cool because she'll talk hunting and fishing with them.  They kinda like it when an adult female will talk to them when it's not scolding.  There's another group of kids waiting for her at the hardware store.  Pretty exciting place.  She's already compared it to Mayberry or Hooterville.

Flaws.  Hmm...  She has no recollection of her past, other than maybe a couple month's worth.  Doesn't drive.  Doesn't ask for help, even when she probably needs to --that robs others of a blessing :)  Lots of people take joy in helping.  Too naive or innocent?  I guess I'm reaching to try to find flaws... 

56 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Ooh, a real fireplace?? Nice!

And I get to cut, split, stack haul real firewood, too!  I am so blessed to also be on 33 rural acres.  New Year's storm took down half a big pecan tree, so I'm loaded with nice hard firewood for quite a while.

• Like 1
On 2/17/2021 at 8:48 AM, Paul but not THE said:

Too naive or innocent?

being "too naive/innocent" doesn't seem to last for long, sadly. all it takes is one person, or a few minutes and BOOM 

gone

that would definitely be a big plot thing, because it's a struggle (especially when those around you are...less than innocent, and vocal about it) so that would be interesting to see! 

1 hour ago, Robin Hood said:

Nice I am too

I not so persony person though 😞

23 minutes ago, ThePerilousPen said:

being "too naive/innocent" doesn't seem to last for long, sadly. all it takes is one person, or a few minutes and BOOM 

gone

that would definitely be a big plot thing, because it's a struggle (especially when those around you are...less than innocent, and vocal about it) so that would be interesting to see! 

Later in the story, it'll come out she's not at all naive, but quite alert to dangers and knows how to handle people.

20 hours ago, Paul but not THE said:

Raised in suburban Minneapolis, but a country boy!

Another commonality with the "not THE":    I attended an elementary school near Minnehaha Falls.   I took many a hike to the park there.

Side note:  an uncle of mine owned a house just outside the centerfield fence of the old Twin's stadium.    I understand that land is now under the Mall of the Americas (?). 

Edited by Ragamuffin_John