Three Reasons Why More Writers Are Self-publishing

7 minutes ago, ThePerilousPen said:

Yeah, I'm going for the general market, too

Same!  Although I'm not planning on promoting LGBTQ+ stances in my books (while I won't make my characters homophobes either because I think everyone is entitled to their own beliefs).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ThePerilousPen said:

Don't self publish. Why? Here's an excellent point by NYT Bestselling author Jerry Jenkins:   

Jerry Jenkins is an outlier. If J.K. Rowling were to give advice on how to get published, I'd take it with a grain of salt. She's an outlier, as well. 

If you're at the Jerry Jenkins level, you can afford to go Trad Pub. If you're not, you're probably looking at all your options, and as Susanne Lakin says in the article we're purportedly discussing, there are three things about Self Pub which are promising for up-and-coming authors.

• Like 3

👍 Agree.

I think Zee said it well.  There's nothing wrong with SP or Trad .  It's about where you are as a author and your motivation for wanting to get published. (a different motivate to why you write.).

If you want to have fun and share with those who find you without the £s and booker prize -sp and enjoy.

If you want to trad and have the satisfaction of all that brings -again go for it. Both have good and bad points. It is just a question of what works for you.

I said iI would give myself a year to try the trad route but if I am still looking for an agent his time next year then I will seriously consider sp. 

Enough said I think.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Chris Brown said:

Is this honestly still being debated? Are people seriously still saying you can't make money self-publishing when there are self-published authors doing 7 figures yearly? Self-publishing is not what it was 30 years ago.

Exactly. I'm seeing rampant ignorance and prejudice on this thread. Very depressing on a site that encourages all Christian writers, no matter how they choose to get their books out to an audience.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Shamrock said:

If you want to trad and have the satisfaction of all that brings -again go for it. Both have good and bad points. It is just a question of what works for you.

I'm saying this because you and I are kinda in the same spot right now...

...but what is this "satisfaction" thing of which you speak?  😁

OVerccoming the odds.....endorsement....... whatever ticks the box.

Maybe I worded that badly.  For some people SP is second best. I am not say it is. But I do know some writers who feel this. I don't but I just want to know I have given the trad route my best shot.  I gave up too easily with Natural Talent back 2008. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Shamrock said:

OVerccoming the odds.....endorsement....... whatever ticks the box.

Maybe I worded that badly.  For some people SP is second best. I am not say it is. But I do know some writers who feel this. I don't but I just want to know I have given the trad route my best shot.  I gave up too easily with Natural Talent back 2008. 

Endorsement was also important for me. I wanted an objective industry professional to tell me that my writing is good. So, I entered a short story competition in which you would get feedback from the judges. The judging panel included literary agents and Big 5 editors. Their comments on my story validated the quality of my writing. Then I went indie. 😁

But, for sure, persevere with your dream. It's definitely worth shooting for.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Chris Brown said:

Is this honestly still being debated? Are people seriously still saying you can't make money self-publishing when there are self-published authors doing 7 figures yearly? Self-publishing is not what it was 30 years ago.

Chris, may I ask your yearly income from self-publishing?

39 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

I can tell you what my annual income is from both Trad Publishing and Self Publishing at this place in my career:
image.png.1aa0fbbf1f96cf7105831504381b734f.png

I started working on this novel in 2014 and have been working diligently on this novel since 2018, and I expect to see it published later this year. I'm on my eleventh draft and have done my due diligence to horse it into a place where I can expect to finally ship it. My Plan A is to publish through Story Grid Publishing, a hybrid Indie Publishing venture, not quite Trad Pub, not quite Self Pub.

I posted this because Susanne Lakin started here, on these forums, and has books out via both Trad Pub and Self Pub. She is an authority who came from here. All these things are tools for our examination, nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

Nope, because it's not a business for me. As I've said before, this is a ministry for me. When I heard last month that my books are getting passed around H-dorm at Limestone Correctional Facility and the men have been blessed by them, that's worth more to me than any income statement ever will be. 

I won a minor award with my first book and had a bunch of endorsements on my second book (only one on the first). If you're looking for validation, there are plenty of avenues to get that without having it come through a traditional publisher. If I had wanted to go traditional, assuming I had even been successful getting there, I would probably still be waiting on my first book to ship. That said, self-publishing isn't for everybody. Just last week I was counselling someone to start looking for an agent for his novel, because I think it's the best path for him. 

What I am completely dumbfounded by in this debate that regularly resurfaces here is that anyone is still saying that a) You have to spend thousands of dollars to self-publish, or b) You can't make money self-publishing. Both are demonstrably false. Both have been false for decades now. If someone wants to continue believing it, that's up to them, but I'd hate for anyone else to read that here and walk away thinking it's true.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Chris Brown said:

As I've said before, this is a ministry for me. When I heard last month that my books are getting passed around H-dorm at Limestone Correctional Facility and the men have been blessed by them, that's worth more to me than any income statement ever will be. 

Amen to you Chris.

26 minutes ago, Chris Brown said:

What I am completely dumbfounded by in this debate that regularly resurfaces here is that anyone is still saying that a) You have to spend thousands of dollars to self-publish, or b) You can't make money self-publishing. Both are demonstrably fals

I agreed. These days SP is simple and can be done with min outlay money wise (very different to when I did it back in 2008 when POD was expensive.).  Not sure I agree with the 2nd statement though Chris. Some authors have earned a lot f dosh but only a few. Same for trad.

• Like 2