I'm currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and I'm not sure about it just yet. I liked the opening paragraph but it felt like it digressed a bit after, with a lot of narrative exposition that lost me. I'll keep reading though.

So, what are you reading? And, if it's not to do with the craft, do you think it takes away from the time you could be writing?

• Like 2
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When they get to the other of the two cities, you'll want to switch that accent to French...

The Way of Kings, the Emotional Thesaurus, and my own of course. Yay, for editing.

A really good book my sister wrote. 🙂 

This Side of Heaven by Karen Kingsbury.

It is great so far. I love how she's caught me into the story and let me feel all the struggle and emotion in this book.

Then again, I'm sure all of you who read her frequently would say that about her. She is, after all, a prolific writer. 😉

• Like 3

@Kazaza Now that reminds me of Tim Hawkins's opinion on nursery rhymes.

"And if that mocking bird don't sing, Momma's gonna buy you a diamond ring.

"So if I kill the bird I'll get some bling-bling?!"

Lol! Not sure if I quoted it right.

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

This Side of Heaven by Karen Kingsbury.

It is great so far. I love how she's caught me into the story and let me feel all the struggle and emotion in this book.

Then again, I'm sure all of you who read her frequently would say that about her. She is, after all, a prolific writer. 😉

She is a great writer for sure.

• Like 1

Ok, it's been a couple of weeks, but it was so powerful I will recommend it again! 

In Order To Live: A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom By Yeonmi Park. 

It's moving! Seriously, I think everyone should read it, so they can get a better understanding of what human trafficking really is. While you know what is going on, it does not go into detail about the awful acts themselves. It also gives you a better understanding of what life is really like inside of North Korea. 

• Like 4
Guest LinkPen

My brother is reading the Hunger Games too.

As for me, I'm reading the Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien and The Day Earth Stood Still by Harry Bates. Both are very epic!

I really enjoy those types of stories and, in a great sense, it helps me in my writing craft... though it does take time from it.

Either way, I set aside time for both reading and writing.

Now that I have to edit my latest work, I'll be reading that too.

Edited by LinkPen

@KazazaIt was required reading for me in 9th grade. Yes, that was some time ago. It is a good story if you can stick with it though. There's also a movie that was well done. 

I read Flowers for Algernon in roughly four days in early January. That basically means I enjoyed it.

*Edit*

Mere Christianity

Edited by TD Todd
  • Like 1
Guest kiwigummy
9 minutes ago, TD Todd said:

@KazazaIt was required reading for me in 9th grade. Yes, that was some time ago. It is a good story if you can stick with it though. There's also a movie that was well done. 

I read Flowers for Algernon in roughly four days in early January. That basically means I enjoyed it.

I'll edit line this when I figure out what's next.

That ending was SO SAD

Just now, Just_Me_ said:

Just finished the Artemis Fowl series and now I'm reading the Fowl Twins (a little side story) and I've been really enjoying them!  Teenage criminal masterminds are awesome 😄 

Hey :) 

I just finished The Right Doctrine from the Wrong Text?  Edited by G. K Beale.

It was was a series of essays on how the New Testament writers made use of the Old Testament. Not a page turner, but I learned some fancy theology words and got the inspiration for a new book from it.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, TD Todd said:

In case you're interested, Flowers for Algernon was made into a movie back in the 1960's. It's hidden well from many who enjoyed reading the story, because they chose to rename it, "Charly".

Though the story is one of horrifying loss, the very last scene, purely visual, is not as "down" as you might expect. They handled in in a very interesting way. If you stop and think about what you're seeing in the final freeze-frame, it might just bring out the philosopher in you...

Edited by Wes B
Guest kiwigummy
6 minutes ago, TD Todd said:

@kiwigummy Very sad. The more I thought about it... Could you imagine? There's a lot in there that makes you think and question things though. I'm still reflecting on it almost a month later. In a way, it's one of my biggest fears.

You biggest fear is thinking about and questioning things a month later?