What's your writing journey?

When did you first start writing?  Were you always very creative?  What's been your writing journey?

Mine was. . . as a little kid, I was super imaginative.  When playing with my barbies or dolls, I always made these insane backstories for every single doll or barbie, and it astounded my parents.  I also had my three best friends, Emma, Franklin, and Monty, monsters of my imagination that to this day are still my friends  (does anyone else do that?).  Anyway, I just had a scary imagination as a child.  In one way, playing and creating backstories is a form of writing/story making, so I've technically been doing this since I could talk.  As soon as I could write, I created lots of stories.  In first grade, I turned in a several-page long story I wrote and that my mom edited.  My first grade teacher helped me get advanced in reading and writing, and since then, I've been writing daily, creating stories and books so long that nobody ever reads them.

• Like 4

Wow! Neat!

Mine was just bizarre...lol..Bear with me here. As a kid, I was in first grade when I was five, and even then did my dad still pick books for me that were above my grade level. (And I picked my own out myself too.)While most kids in second or third grade were into Harry Potter or whatever, I was reading books that aren't as popular as they used to be--Laura Ingalls Wilder's books and her ancestors' books about their life were my favorites. Hence, I started writing stories set in that time frame.

Of course, because I didn't have full-on access to a laptop and didn't know that I was supposed to do research, I just took incidents that happened in books like that and thought of my own better way to put them in my stories. That went that way until I was eleven. Finally, I ended up with a big pile of notebooks that I really don't want to pick up and see what's in it since I don't think I'm going anywhere with those. Lol! After that, I just laid writing aside and went about my tween years.

But then last year, back in August (?), I suggested to someone that I'd write a story for her. She said that she was fine with that and would be looking forward to reading it, and since then, writing took off for me.

@AJCat29 I was the same way with imagination too! I would have a bunch of toys and make up a whole town with the weird stuff I had and just do whatever with it. You're not an only child by any chance, are you?

• Like 4

I've been into storytelling and writing ever since my super young years too! We are partners in crazy imagination!

I had this collection of animal figurines that I used to make up stories with, sometimes elaborate ones. My brother and I also played with stuffed animals to do several "crossovers" of our different stories.

There was one where I played with my leopard plush and my brother had a monkey. The story behind the monkey and leopard was a comical one that chronicled their latest antics in a suburb of Hollywood. We made each other laugh so hard that we sometimes cried. LOL

Maybe sometime I will do a children's series of books based on that.

Writing has been a love of mine ever since I could hold a pencil (though now I usually type my stories). It was a regular hobby that blossomed into a great passion.

When I was about thirteen, my writing got serious. I felt a call by the Lord to write books and have been pursuing that ever since.

That was around the time when the seed for my first novel was planted.

Among my greatest inspirations are C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, Jerry B. Jenkins, and Ted Dekker.

Edited by Madyson Rylee
  • Like 5
44 minutes ago, Madyson Rylee said:

I've been into storytelling and writing ever since my super young years too! We are partners in crazy imagination!

I had this collection of animal figurines that I used to make up stories with, sometimes elaborate ones. My brother and I also played with stuffed animals to do several "crossovers" of our different stories.

There was one where I played with my leopard plush and my brother had a monkey. The story behind the monkey and leopard was a comical one that chronicled their latest antics in a suburb of Hollywood. We made each other laugh so hard that we sometimes cried. LOL

Writing has been a love of mine ever since I could hold a pencil (though now I usually type my stories). It was a regular hobby that blossomed into a great passion.

When I was about thirteen, my writing got serious. I felt a call by the Lord to write books and have been pursuing that ever since.

This is beautiful!  I've been planning on writing a series of children's books about my monster friends, Emma, Franklin, and Monty.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Wow! Neat!

Mine was just bizarre...lol..Bear with me here. As a kid, I was in first grade when I was five, and even then did my dad still pick books for me that were above my grade level. (And I picked my own out myself too.)While most kids in second or third grade were into Harry Potter or whatever, I was reading books that aren't as popular as they used to be--Laura Ingalls Wilder's books and her ancestors' books about their life were my favorites. Hence, I started writing stories set in that time frame.

You're an old soul.

🙂

On 1/27/2021 at 11:59 AM, AJCat29 said:

When did you first start writing?  Were you always very creative?  What's been your writing journey?

Mine was. . . as a little kid, I was super imaginative.  When playing with my barbies or dolls, I always made these insane backstories for every single doll or barbie, and it astounded my parents.  I also had my three best friends, Emma, Franklin, and Monty, monsters of my imagination that to this day are still my friends  (does anyone else do that?).  Anyway, I just had a scary imagination as a child.  In one way, playing and creating backstories is a form of writing/story making, so I've technically been doing this since I could talk.  As soon as I could write, I created lots of stories.  In first grade, I turned in a several-page long story I wrote and that my mom edited.  My first grade teacher helped me get advanced in reading and writing, and since then, I've been writing daily, creating stories and books so long that nobody ever reads them.

Great story thanks for sharing!  I am glad a teacher made a difference in your life.

• Like 1
On 1/27/2021 at 12:57 PM, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Wow! Neat!

Of course, because I didn't have full-on access to a laptop and didn't know that I was supposed to do research, I just took incidents that happened in books like that and thought of my own better way to put them in my stories. That went that way until I was eleven. Finally, I ended up with a big pile of notebooks that I really don't want to pick up and see what's in it since I don't think I'm going anywhere with those. Lol! After that, I just laid writing aside and went about my tween years.

But then last year, back in August (?), I suggested to someone that I'd write a story for her. She said that she was fine with that and would be looking forward to reading it, and since then, writing took off for me.

@AJCat29 I was the same way with imagination too! I would have a bunch of toys and make up a whole town with the weird stuff I had and just do whatever with it. You're not an only child by any chance, are you?

I loved the Laura Ingalls Widler's books!  Thanks for sharing your story!

• Like 2
On 1/27/2021 at 6:48 PM, Madyson Rylee said:

Among my greatest inspirations are C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, Jerry B. Jenkins, and Ted Dekker.

I agree with your great inspirations.  I have read all of them and have enjoyed their writing.

• Like 2

My writing journey? Quite the story! But I'll see what I can do 😜

My journey began before I could read. I've been making up stories since I could talk, and since I've been speaking in full sentences since age 2, it most likely started then. I had an odd habit then that I still use today, where I take a book and "read aloud" from it (dumb, right?) It can't be any book, though--it has to have the right feel and size. It's very important 😂

So I would "read" from it, but simply making up stories as I went along. I did it when I thought no one could hear (they could, my fam even recorded me lol) nowadays, I'm much more careful! I do various scenes and chapters to see how they sound and move along, and what emotions it brings. It really helps bring the story to life, and outs me in the shoes of a reader, since it's like I'm reading a story. 

Anyway, I write things down every now and then, but I have so many ideas that I basically just leave them in my mind. I dream about my books. I think about them day and night, in the car and all over 😂 I've had this particular novel in my head for almost 4years, which is incredibly embarrassing for me. I can't even count all the versions I've had of it 😯

I've never been published (yet) but now that I have a coach, I'm on my way. I'll be published within this year for certain, though I don't know if/when my novel will be out there. One day! 😄 

so yeah...um that's me. been writing for a looooong time and basically, I've gotten better I guess, but there aren't huge differences. Well, I'm more descriptive now and my stories are more real (mostly bc I have true events in 'em, and I understand what my characters are going through) 

one thing I'll add is that this current novel has been my safe space for years. During my depression age, I would escape to this other world and be at peace. I use it for calming down (anger issues and anxiety yeee) and just relaxing, honestly. It's fun! I try to always keep it fun, if I can. 

yep! that's about it, folks 😉 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, ThePerilousPen said:

My writing journey? Quite the story! But I'll see what I can do 😜

My journey began before I could read. I've been making up stories since I could talk, and since I've been speaking in full sentences since age 2, it most likely started then. I had an odd habit then that I still use today, where I take a book and "read aloud" from it (dumb, right?) It can't be any book, though--it has to have the right feel and size. It's very important 😂

So I would "read" from it, but simply making up stories as I went along. I did it when I thought no one could hear (they could, my fam even recorded me lol) nowadays, I'm much more careful! I do various scenes and chapters to see how they sound and move along, and what emotions it brings. It really helps bring the story to life, and outs me in the shoes of a reader, since it's like I'm reading a story. 

Anyway, I write things down every now and then, but I have so many ideas that I basically just leave them in my mind. I dream about my books. I think about them day and night, in the car and all over 😂 I've had this particular novel in my head for almost 4years, which is incredibly embarrassing for me. I can't even count all the versions I've had of it 😯

I've never been published (yet) but now that I have a coach, I'm on my way. I'll be published within this year for certain, though I don't know if/when my novel will be out there. One day! 😄 

so yeah...um that's me. been writing for a looooong time and basically, I've gotten better I guess, but there aren't huge differences. Well, I'm more descriptive now and my stories are more real (mostly bc I have true events in 'em, and I understand what my characters are going through) 

one thing I'll add is that this current novel has been my safe space for years. During my depression age, I would escape to this other world and be at peace. I use it for calming down (anger issues and anxiety yeee) and just relaxing, honestly. It's fun! I try to always keep it fun, if I can. 

yep! that's about it, folks 😉 

Absolutely beautiful!!!

• Thanks 1

It's inspiring to read other people's journey and I can identify with a lot of the comments above.

I wrote a picture story `book' when I was about 10 (although it was probably only a few pages long). I've always loved reading. It has always thrilled me to open a book and disappear into another world. My Father told the most amazing stories which totally engrossed me as a child. My brother ,who is much older, passed on some of the books he'd read when I was around fifteen, and that opened my mind to the possibilities of fiction. My favorite subject at school was English Composition and I delighted in writing unusual essays/ stories.

The idea of writing a novel has been at the back of my mind ever since, but I couldn't find a clear subject, so only wrote the odd poem when inspired. A few years ago I started writing a novel in a `stream of consciousness' way on the back of an old document, and then forgot about it as work became too demanding. When work slowed down about two years ago I started typing my first novel, loosely based on the `stream of consciousness' one, then picked up the pace with the help of a coach and `finished' it recently. I know it may still require quite a bit of work...

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, John Webb said:

It's inspiring to read other people's journey and I can identify with a lot of the comments above.

I wrote a picture story `book' when I was about 10 (although it was probably only a few pages long). I've always loved reading. It has always thrilled me to open a book and disappear into another world. My Father told the most amazing stories which totally engrossed me as a child. My brother ,who is much older, passed on some of the books he'd read when I was around fifteen, and that opened my mind to the possibilities of fiction. My favorite subject at school was English Composition and I delighted in writing unusual essays/ stories.

The idea of writing a novel has been at the back of my mind ever since, but I couldn't find a clear subject, so only wrote the odd poem when inspired. A few years ago I started writing a novel in a `stream of consciousness' way on the back of an old document, and then forgot about it as work became too demanding. When work slowed down about two years ago I started typing my first novel, loosely based on the `stream of consciousness' one, then picked up the pace with the help of a coach and `finished' it recently. I know it may still require quite a bit of work...

This is so neat!  Good luck with your novel!

So many of you started writing at such a young age. That is so cool! I've written this so many times on this site that others can probably recite by heart.

I started writing poetry (I usually call it stinky poetry) in my 20s-30s only when inspired. Didn't write a lot. So after I became ill (2000) at the age of 54, the Lord whispered to my heart to write for Him. I had no idea what that would entail.

He led me to write a book on the traditional Jewish/Hebrew marriage covenant custom. There are 12 steps that are applicable to our Christian relationship with the Lord as His bride, which I turned into 12 chapters. It was almost published when the company went under. Starting with a book was daunting. Took a few years of research and writing.

Anyway, that started me on the path of writing devotionals and inspirational stories. So I still write them because I write in obedience and the Lord hasn't said to stop. So that's my story. 😃

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

So many of you started writing at such a young age. That is so cool! I've written this so many times on this site that others can probably recite by heart.

I started writing poetry (I usually call it stinky poetry) in my 20s-30s only when inspired. Didn't write a lot. So after I became ill (2000) at the age of 54, the Lord whispered to my heart to write for Him. I had no idea what that would entail.

He led me to write a book on the traditional Jewish/Hebrew marriage covenant custom. There are 12 steps that are applicable to our Christian relationship with the Lord as His bride, which I turned into 12 chapters. It was almost published when the company went under. Starting with a book was daunting. Took a few years of research and writing.

Anyway, that started me on the path of writing devotionals and inspirational stories. So I still write them because I write in obedience and the Lord hasn't said to stop. So that's my story. 😃

Wow, neat!  That's quite the journey.

Thank you, sweetie. The journey of research was worth it even if I never did anything with it. It opened my spiritual eyes to see how God works, plans, and uses His will and His Word in a much deeper sense, but we will only see it if we dig deeper. So awesome!

• Like 2
Guest PenGrace
On 1/27/2021 at 2:59 PM, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

@AJCat29 I was just wondering. I am an only, and playing by myself in the strangest ways was how I survived childhood. Lol

I'm an only child as well. 🙂

My writing journey began as simply being a fan of descriptive writing in high school and delving into poetry as a way to relieve teenage angst.

I began writing purposefully in 2005 after returning home from the mission field, but it wasn't until 2008ish that I received a clear vision and purpose for my main projects.

I have yet to have any of my works published, but I am nearing that goal. I have written a children's book based around six of Jesus' parables and I am nearing completion of my main novel.

• Like 2