Well, if you have accounts on the wrong social sites...

...you can get canceled.

This came across my Twitter feed today.

All because Ms. Oefelein had an account on Parler.  Not that she posted anything bad, mind you, only that she had an account there.  And they canned her for it.  Don't bother looking up the Tweet for Jennifer DeChiara, as she's deleted it, or made it private, or whatever they do to hide their messages.

What's Collen Oefelein's take on her firing?

Now, I did mention that I have accounts on Parler, Gab, Minds, MeWe, YouTube, Twitter, Rumble, and Facebook.  And that I do have a manuscript being reviewed by an agent.  But I think the minute it gets out that I have accounts on all these social platforms, that consideration for my work will dry up faster than a drop of water in Death Valley...at high noon.

Just a heads-up on what you have to look forward to in the Traditional Publishing sphere...

Yes, the type of witch hunt going on is a huge assault on Christians and free speech. I don't care what side of the political spectrum you're on, with very few exceptions silencing the marketplace of ideas and thought is not a good thing. I believe that as Americans, we should all be standing up together against the type of blatant censorship and cancel culture going on.

I don't believe any reasonable person is defending violence, threats, or criminal activity. As a web developer, it's part of my job to know about different platforms. I'm familiar with both Twitter and Parler. In my time I've seen much more hate speech and threats of violence on Twitter than I ever saw on Parler. It is a very clear case of the pot calling the kettle black.

I also think it's interesting that anything not left-wing is labeled as alt-right and made out to be extremist. Again, no matter what side of the debate you're on, honesty, fairness, and correct language are important. Simply because a platform values and promotes free speech, does this make them right-wing extremists? If so, we're in a very bad place indeed.

I think we need to get back to a place in our culture where we can peacefully respect each other's differences and agree to disagree. Civilized discussion seems to be becoming a lost art, and with that, the divide in our culture becomes deeper.

As I've been saying for years, these tech giants are not the friends of freedom loving people. By their own admission, they are working to shape and control public opinion, information, and thought on a massive scale. They long to be our masters.

Obviously, I'm not defending violence or incitement on either side. I am defending free speech and the right for people to hold views aside from the "mainstream" without being silenced.

Think about it. Christianity is no longer considered a "mainstream" view or lifestyle in this country. If big media can silence half this country and their representatives, how much more easily can they silence Christians? They are already working to do so.

There's an old saying: I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

I think we need a lot more of that in our culture.

• Like 4

I think we can readily see how easy it will be for unbelievers to someday accept the mark of the beast, and to be completely comfortable with the abuse of Christians who will not receive it. I don't know anything about the twitter matter mentioned in the OP, but we can see the pieces falling into place, all around us...

Edited by Wes B
6 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Normally I would say this is not a proper topic for a writing site, but I have to say, I agree with you all completely!

I'm not so sure about free speech in the context of open dialog from all sides, and options is no longer a writing topic. When anyone is calling for book bans or book burnings, it needs to be looked at. 

https://dawsoncountyjournal.com/blog/2021/01/22/why-burn-books-when-you-can-ban-them-writers-and-publishers-embrace-blacklisting-in-an-expanding-american-anti-free-speech-movement/

https://www.breitbart.com/law-and-order/2021/01/12/watch-antifa-forces-portland-bookstore-closure-over-journalists-forthcoming-book/

I could go on, but the point books also fall under free speech, and we need to address that aspect as a writing community. 

And to be clear, this is not a political statement. Rebecca has the perfect quote! 

1 hour ago, Rebecca said:

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Normally I would say this is not a proper topic for a writing site, but I have to say, I agree with you all completely!

Yes, however, it does affect us as writers and we should be aware of these things. So sad even to have to say that. 🥴

Thank you, @suspensewriter. 🙂 We work very hard to keep things civilized, fair, and non-political on the site. I want everyone to feel welcome here in the true spirit of Christ.

I left the topic up because it involves both Christianity and the writing profession, so it seemed relevant on both fronts. It's not meant to be a political statement, but rather one of unity.

Censorship of this sort transcends politics and becomes more about fairness, honesty, and the free expression of thought and faith. I'm hoping as Christians those are all values we can agree upon and support.

• Like 3

It is a Writing and Publishing topic as this subject includes:

1) An established literary agency,

2) An established literary agent (who is a Christian, I might add),

3) The fact that a lot of people make connections and advertise on Twitter,

4) the fact that certain individuals were turned "toxic" because of the social media platforms they used.

5) The discussion of social media platforms comes up under Writing and Publishing all of the time.

I'm not the moderator or admin, but I think one or more of these qualify.  But if you want it moved, be my guest.

I guess the moral of the story here is: if you go the traditional publishing route, this is what lies in wait.  Some anonymous account makes a claim that you are "alt-right," and BOOM!  Without any other debate, you're dumped.

Edit:

None of this is political.  It's a cautionary tale.

Edited by Jeff Potts
  • Like 1