c513e21392da6db0cef1e712e8f4f137.jpg.c0b35c3f7e3cdfde962bc74bcf006dd7.jpg

Just wanted to share this with y'all.  Thought you might find it funny.

Photography is an art.  It wasn't meant for taking a picture of your breakfast to share with the world.  What also comes to mind is what my dad told me is the term for an accident involving a selfie gone horribly wrong: "kilfie." 🙄

Edited by Grey_Skies
Punctuation error
  • Like 1

I know it's ironic, but I am a photographer, not a pro by any means, but I have always thought just because everyone has a camera doesn't make them a photographer. True photography is art and carefully taken shots that are done by taking time to frame your photo, using techniques like 'rules of thirds' and understanding how to use spot metering to capture the correct lighting. Most people 'think' they are a photographer because every phone has a camera in it, but so most of the photos taken are boring and ordinary. Not only that, they don't take their time. Most are shotgun photographers who take a bunch of photos and choose which one looks best. This again requires no talent. I entered my local show in the photography competition and got 2nd and 3rd place for the following photos.

man-with-guitar.jpg

IMG_0918.JPG

• Like 4

I wonder if there's truly less real photography being done, or if that work is just hidden in the rising seas of self-promotional fluff that comes from obsessive use of phone cameras.

It seems so much easier to simply point at ourselves than to produce something that truly gives to others. Perhaps that's why there are far, far more social media pages than things like author websites, or other sites whose purpose is to give out to an audience, rather than just pointing to self.

It's kinda' sad that so many seem to actually think the world cares about what they ate for breakfast. We get durn-near-infinite chances to show the world the most mediocre details of our lives.

• Like 2

My personal feelings are this, and I may be wrong 😉 ... I don't deny that people can take a decent photo with a camera phone, but put that photo next to one taken with care using a SLR camera utilizing lighting and depth of field techniques and it isn't hard to see which one is photographic art.

If those same people using their phone cameras wanted to be seen as a real photographer they should invest in proper photographic equipment and have the benefit of telephoto lenses and the ability to use multiple spot metering.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Wes B said:

I wonder if there's truly less real photography being done, or if that work is just hidden in the rising seas of self-promotional fluff that comes from obsessive use of phone cameras

Similar issue with art in general.

There is a new craze called "art fixing" where an individual "corrects" the "problems" in other someone else's art posted on social media. This entails making the art align with the sjw causes of the day.

Naturally, this has nothing to do with constructive criticism (which artists tend to accept well), or having a civil debate, and everything to do with shaming the artist and posturing as a self-righteous hero.

The Bible does say that in the last days people will be lovers of themselves...

It didn't mention duck-face selfies. Who would've thought?

Edited by RockyMtn Gal
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Amosathar said:

You can tell that God has a good sense of humor when he gives someone with a significant visual impairment skills that are all vision based 😄 

LOL Amen! And hopefully, that someone maintains a sense of humor as well. 😉

1 minute ago, carolinamtne said:

AJ, as a cat lover, I would be delighted to see five photos of your kitten taken three seconds apart. Kittens don't stay put very long.

Great point!  Maybe sometime I'll post a few of them.