Beta Readers for YA Contemporary | Lit-fic | Coming-of-age

Hi Christian Writers,

I'm new to the forum. I have a completed manuscript that I intend to query later this year. As such, I'm looking for up to 3 beta readers. Please reply to this thread if interested. About me, I'm trying to break into the realm of Upmarket YA fiction because there's not a lot of wholesome books for young readers. Most of the stuff at the bookstore and library are really worldly. Not that there's anything wrong with diverse experiences, but Christian themes are underrepresented in the book market. That's why I would like to debut a novel I think will offer an alternative to secular fiction. 

Genre: Contemporary, Slice-of-life, Literary fiction, Coming-of-age

Audience: Young Adult/Adult

Word Count: 100,000

Request: Leave knee-jerk reactions in MS Word’s comments feature, write a reader reaction report, offer suggestions for revision if applicable.

Logline: The relationship between a high school senior and her mother is strained by ideological differences.

Blurb:

Seventeen-year-old Aurelia doesn’t know what she wants to do after she graduates. Her best friend offers her a job she can’t accept. Her English teacher mother wants her to go to a preselected college and work as her personal assistant. Meanwhile, Aurelia’s senior year takes an unexpected turn when a mysterious author and her sixteen-year-old son move into the downstairs duplex.

As Aurelia gets to know her new neighbors, it becomes easier to open up about her absentee father and the summer of tragedy that claimed three lives. She learns to cut toxic relationships and form empathetic new ones. However, becoming an adult while negotiating the last stages of grief might be easier said than done.

kiwigummy, first, we're glad you're here. Second, you will probably get better responses if you get to know others and they know you. So you might want to hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. Oh, and third, congrats on your book. You also might want to get some feedback in the critique forum. After you have made 10 comments and the system has had time to catch up, you are welcome to post your work there. Just be sure to read the rules first. 😃

Hi, @kiwigummy! I'd be interested in swapping beta reads with you, if that's something your up for. My piece will not be ready for critique for another month or two, but I'd be ready to start on yours whenever you're ready.

2 hours ago, Zee said:

Hi, @kiwigummy! I'd be interested in swapping beta reads with you, if that's something your up for. My piece will not be ready for critique for another month or two, but I'd be ready to start on yours whenever you're ready.

What is your piece about?

9 hours ago, kiwigummy said:

What is your piece about?

It’s a contemporary romantic suspense story, but a little different, because it’s set in a fictional environment, and because the main characters are already married.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Ruth said:

Ok I'll bite 😁. Your description about how you want the feedback is organized and helpful. 👍

so can you message me here? I'm new & haven't discovered all the features. 

Ruth, if you want to message someone privately, tap the picture icon by their name and a little profile box will pop up with a messaging option in it, among other things. No worries, took me a while to figure it out, too.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Vessel 4 HIm said:

I'm willing to do it. It is as simple as just reading and looking for anything that needs polishing?

Hey, I really appreciate the enthusiasm, but maybe check out some of my other stuff in the Critiques forum first? 😊