For Adelaide's story, I have two chapters dedicated to her journal entries. One of them is a couple of weeks after her dad died, and the other is a month after the incident. The reason why I jumped is because I needed to get my timeline right since her mom finds out that she was pregnant before her husband died. I had to deleted a chapter too and some other parts as well to get my timeline straight.

Is that too much of a jump, or should I stick in another chapter? I have no idea what to do. 😕

54 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Is that too much of a jump, or should I stick in another chapter?

I don't think it's too much of a jump at all. But if you have something that would add to the plot, definitely do another chapter. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Depending on what you want to emphasize in the story—the immediate reaction to the tragedy, or a slow return to the “new normal” either a jump or an extra chapter could work. Neither choice would be a mistake, but as the author, you know what you want, so you’re really the one who needs to make that call.

• Thanks 1

Agree with Zee.

If you are jumping time do make sure signpost the reader this.  Either put a  sub-title under 'Chapter XYZ' i.e  Christmas Eve 2019 before the 1st line. The other way is to mention it in the first paragraph or two.

• Thanks 1

Scene and sequel. Glue the two entries together with something that summarizes what happens between. It can be a fragmentary diary entry or exposition between entries.

An example of the kind of detail that can be effective is this. She always writes in her journal with a special pen, maybe a gift. It breaks or is lost and she is upset, even superstitious about the loss. The inbetween journal entry could be her anger over losing the pen, which marks a transition point in her life. It symbolizes loss and grief or foreshadows a future loss.