Howdy, new here

Ruth

Hello, I found this site via KM Weiland's site, Helping Writers Become Authors.  I'm a tech writer by day but would like to branch out into critiquing fiction. I had already stumbled into this through providing feedback to a friend's writing, a process I discovered I enjoyed but I realize I need to hone my understanding of the craft of storytelling in order to offer my best service.  While I'm improving my skills, I thought offering myself as a beta reader could be useful here. You'd get a pair of analytical eyes reading over your story & I'd learn what's important in good fiction & how to express my feedback coherently (!)

Looking forward to getting to know you. Yes I'm Christian. Wishing to focus on fiction for now, so not non-fiction.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruth said:

Hello, I found this site via KM Weiland's site, Helping Writers Become Authors.  I'm a tech writer by day but would like to branch out into critiquing fiction. I had already stumbled into this through providing feedback to a friend's writing, a process I discovered I enjoyed but I realize I need to hone my understanding of the craft of storytelling in order to offer my best service.  While I'm improving my skills, I thought offering myself as a beta reader could be useful here. You'd get a pair of analytical eyes reading over your story & I'd learn what's important in good fiction & how to express my feedback coherently (!)

Looking forward to getting to know you. Yes I'm Christian. Wishing to focus on fiction for now, so not non-fiction.  

Welcome Ruth and I am sure you could find some people who could use a beta reader!

Welcome to our writing family, Ruth. Ooo...one of my favorite books of the Bible! I wrote an ebook on it. Glad you joined us. You might want to post about being a beta reader in the Jobs & Project Connections (under Forums above). You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! 😃

Welcome Ruth to the community. Once you have access to the critique section, you'll find many people who put up chapters for review and feedback who could use your skills and where you could learn more about story telling as there is a lot of fiction writers there.

I myself am currently working on my first book, I hope to finish it one day, but it is a very slow endeavor for me.

Hi @Kiwigummy, that's an interesting question!  I'm not settled on a particular genre. I read widely. I came here to avoid fiction that excessively celebrates violent/gorey/occultic/sexual content.  Now an unpleasant theme or subject matter can be used in a story, it's how and why it's used I care about.  

My critiquing experience has been YA fantasy /coming of age  for a friend, but I'm not going to limit myself to that. I'm feeling my way here with offering to critique stranger's work.  😁

As long as the writer is aiming for the Good, the Beautiful and the True, that's enough for me.